User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Holiday Reading, is it different from your regular reading?

I remember an episode of the Simpsons when an airport shop only stocks King and Crichton, Homer or Bart asks for something else and they are told to get out, its a satirisation on airport bookshops, so does anyone read differently on hols? Anyone a fan of "beach books" even when they arent on hols?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Also, make me some recommendations, I'm going on hols soon.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I tend to read the same variety of books on hols as I do at home. I have been on the beach reading The Complete Shakespeare. I have also been on the beach reading The Da Vinci Code (which I hated). Realistically, I'd be most likely to pick something in between, but it wouldn't be significantly different from the usual.

Hmm... What do you like? Do you like thrillers? I'm not a big fan generally of thrillers but I love John Le Carre. You have to concentrate pretty hard though, so it might not be typical "beach reading". I read Absolute Friends a few years ago on the beach in Mallorca, thoroughly enjoyed that! Among others I've also really enjoyed The Spy Who Came IN from the Cold, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Constant Gardener and The Russia House.

I love travel writing - Colin Thubron is my favourite travel writer. Fantastic.

If you tell me what genres you like I might be able to suggest more, unless it's a genre I really don't care for.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    IsFJ

Actually, holiday time is currently the only time I read for pleasure, though I don't like to read books "just to pass the time", so to speak.

How about A Dangerous Fortune by Ken Follett? It's kinda long, but I really enjoyed it.

MBTI
    INTP

The only difference between my regular reading and my holiday and "beach reading" is that in the case of holday reading I normally have a nice selection of books to choose from (books being probably my favorite gifts) and on vacation I have more time to read (I don't take leave around Christmass).

In all cases its my usual round of travel, food writing, history, politics spiced with the occasional book on cosmology (why I do that I'll never know - they always give me a headache).
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I read the same kinds of books, I just simply have more time to read, so I finish them faster (if it's a relaxing sort of vacation which has a lot of downtime). Of the books I like to read, I am more likely to go with fiction than, say, a psychology book.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Sniffles

Pretty much the same thing I usually read. I might choose books that are lighter in style so as not to overload the brain. I often have to do this when I read on my breaks at work.