• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is men wearing jewelry so taboo?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Guys with unbuttoned shirts are :drool:

Go for it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think your jewelry is totally fine. I'd be attracted to a straight man who wore any of that jewelry, the necklaces are nice, and the first ring is actually a wedding band....with the exception of the last one with emerald stone...that's just not my taste.

But I've always liked for a guys to wear a little bit of jewelry, and I even like it when some guys wear eyeliner. :D

ISTJ showed me a picture of a wedding ring he said he'd wear like a year and half ago and it was one of the ones that had diamonds in it.

It's a matter of taste. Some women like well-groomed "pretty" men who can pull off accessories or weird hairstyles, and some women find it either too effeminate or tacky.

But you're gay so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the jewelry you posted would be considered understated and tasteful for a gay man.

Except if you're going to go for a ring with a big jewel, I suggest you invest in a REAL emerald. Costume jewels are ticky tack, even on a woman, IMO.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Ahhh. It makes so much more sense now. In my head I was picturing like:

104042922.jpg

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think your jewelry is totally fine. I'd be attracted to a straight man who wore any of that jewelry, the necklaces are nice, and the first ring is actually a wedding band....with the exception of the last one with emerald stone...that's just not my taste.

But I've always liked for a guys to wear a little bit of jewelry, and I even like it when some guys wear eyeliner. :D

ISTJ showed me a picture of a wedding ring he said he'd wear like a year and half ago and it was one of the ones that had diamonds in it.

It's a matter of taste. Some women like well-groomed "pretty" men who can pull off accessories or weird hairstyles, and some women find it either too effeminate or tacky.

But you're gay so I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think the jewelry you posted would be considered understated and tasteful for a gay man.

Except if you're going to go for a ring with a big jewel, I suggest you invest in a REAL emerald. Costume jewels are ticky tack, even on a woman, IMO.

I agree, I didn't realize it was fake until I looked at it again and thought "God that's awful" lol

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, those pictures made me go from drooling over guys in unbuttoned shirts to :sick:

And that's my motto :D

Haterz g0nna hate

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Hate gold chains and the Jersey Shore look.

I dated a guy who wore earrings, a necklace, and sometimes a silver cuff. I thought it was cool. He could have cared less whether anyone approved or not, nor whether they thought he was gay. It suited his personality. Not everyone can carry that off, though. The stuff you posted, Elfboy, was definitely on the "universally acceptable" end of the man-jewelry scale, I think.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wouldn't mind taking it a little further though, in this direction I mean :D

pharoah+yul.jpg

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I dated a guy who wore earrings, a necklace, and sometimes a silver cuff. I thought it was cool. He could have cared less whether anyone approved or not, nor whether they thought he was gay. It suited his personality. Not everyone can carry that off, though. The stuff you posted, Elfboy, was definitely on the "universally acceptable" end of the man-jewelry scale, I think.

agreed. gold chains, skull rings and anything of that nature scream either
1) adolescent
2) white trash
or
3) hood rat

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
*shrug* Really, why does any article of clothing or action have an 'assigned gender'? It's just what people are used to. They rarely make any actual practical sense. If they see something different, they question why.

I carry a wallet in my back pocket because I don't like purses. My mother told me to, "Stop doing that, it makes you look like a dyke." I just considered it more practical, and hadn't thought about the social implications it might have. Oh well. I like my wallet.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am forced to carry a purse :(

My wallets don't fit in my pants haha. I'm also paranoid that I'll lose it.

KDude

a bit ignorant, but I wouldn't call it rude as much as misinformed. I don't really consider myself "extra gay" (people of this nature who go out of their way to do things screaming "I'M GAY" really bother me) it's just that my personality has a strong feminine side and I like things related to beauty

Fair enough. I don't know why it's ignorant so much as living in a slightly more tolerant place though.. My experience is different, that's all.

This goes mentioning that I live in the heart of Texas, where shitkickers and so called macho-ness abounds.. and even then, anti-jewelry sentiment hasn't been my experience. I think that's pretty extreme. I mean, it's fucking jewelry. Men of all cultures have been wearing jewelry for thousands of years. What's next? Will eating from a fork or spoon become taboo after awhile? Will the demand for manliness force me to consume my food like a dog? How about drinking soda from a straw.. it does conjure a sort of fellacio image doesn't it? Everything seems to be gay.

In any case, it sucks if you live somewhere worse than I do.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't see how it's ignorant. It seems like more of a personal preference and why would you care what other people think? Are they going to say it looks gay? And? You're gay.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!

me too! and medallions. ugh ugh ugh. and being overly tan is just ... why?
personally, i'm not into man accessories. with the exception of specific
watches. don't like piercings on boys either.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fair enough. I don't know why it's ignorant so much as living in a slightly more tolerant place though.. My experience is different, that's all.

This goes mentioning that I live in the heart of Texas, where shitkickers and so called macho-ness abounds.. and even then, anti-jewelry sentiment hasn't been my experience. I think that's pretty extreme. I mean, it's fucking jewelry. Men of all cultures have been wearing jewelry for thousands of years. What's next? Will eating from a fork or spoon become taboo after awhile? Will the demand for manliness force me to consume my food like a dog? How about drinking soda from a straw.. it does conjure a sort of fellacio image doesn't it? Everything seems to be gay.

In any case, it sucks if you live somewhere worse than I do.

I apologize, ignorant was not the right word to use. your comment really didn't offend me

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Taboo? Since when?

Probably the only difference is that there are jewelry that is catered towards women over men and vice versa. In terms of what, I've noticed men's jewelry tend to be a bit bulkier than women's. Women's jewelry, on the other hand, tend to be more lean.

It is like comparing cologne to perfume.

Kho

please let prayer be true
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
Axel-Rosales-Face-Piercings-record-holder.jpg

Well somebody didn't get the memo.
In other news, I have five bijoutier friends and all of them are male.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it? I wear jewelry all the time and don't notice being treated differently. Then again, if I was, I wouldn't give a fuck.