• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Post your three favorite albums.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

[MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION]

What do you guys think of Blood On The Tracks? :)

V

violaine

The Smiths - The Smiths
The Cure - Standing on a Beach
Red House Painters - RHP (Rollercoaster)

I never listen to these anymore. But they're from my babyhood!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=19700]Lyedecker[/MENTION] [MENTION=4515]wolfy[/MENTION] [MENTION=7040]Forever_Jung[/MENTION]

8NzIElG.gif

Not bad

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
arms.jpg Band Of Horses - Infinite Arms
lateralus.jpg Tool - Lateralus
youthanasia.jpg Megadeth - Youthanasia

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ

Well, I know it's not the cool album to like, but it's in my top 3 Dylan albums. The album is a stunner, from top to bottom. Except I've never much cared for "Meet Me in the Morning". It just seems like a filler song, to break things up, musically. A lot of the songs on BotT sound similar, so that would make sense. Song similarity is also likely the reason that he left the amazing "Up to Me" off the album (seriously, check that song out if you haven't heard it already).

I generally prefer his best acoustic stuff to his best electric stuff, and this is definitely among his best acoustic work. Historically, this album wasn't groundbreaking or as dazzling as Highway 61 Revisited or Blonde on Blonde. Make no mistake though, it's as rich an album as he ever made. In the mid-60's Bob was like an extraterrestrial rock poet, it just didn't seem humanly possible to do what he was doing. By 1975, he's just a different guy. Blood on the Tracks is more straightforward, mature, and human. He found a much more direct way to articulate emotional nuance. The singing on the album is amazing, not just the vocal quality, but his phrasing is impeccable. The line "Like a corkscrew to my heart" towards the end of "You're A Big Girl Now" hit ME like a corkscrew in my heart. Or when he leans into these words in Idiot Wind:

The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone-faced while the building burned/I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees, while the springtime turned/ Slooooooooooooowly into Autumn

The venom in his delivery knocks me right on my ass. The whole song is filled with great lines like that. I listen to Idiot Wind a lot when I'm feeling bitter and heartbroken. :D I think he ends it on the appropriate note with Buckets of Rain. It's a good song on its own, but it is especially poignant in the context of the whole album. It's playful and wistful at the same time, hopeful yet resigned.

What do YOU think Night?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Well, I know it's not the cool album to like, but it's in my top 3 Dylan albums.

Hah, It's definitely up there for me as well.

The album is a stunner, from top to bottom. Except I've never much cared for "Meet Me in the Morning". It just seems like a filler song, to break things up, musically. A lot of the songs on BotT sound similar, so that would make sense. Song similarity is also likely the reason that he left the amazing "Up to Me" off the album (seriously, check that song out if you haven't heard it already).

Up to Me.. Yeah. Bob had some really good songs which he never included on albums. Like "Positively 4th Street" which he kept off Highway 61. It's probably my favorite Dylan song.

Meet me in the Morning is alright. It's presence on the album doesn't bother me. Out of place, maybe a little.

I generally prefer his best acoustic stuff to his best electric stuff, and this is definitely among his best acoustic work. Historically, this album wasn't groundbreaking or as dazzling as Highway 61 Revisited or Blonde on Blonde. Make no mistake though, it's as rich an album as he ever made.

Yeah, agreed.

In the mid-60's Bob was like an extraterrestrial rock poet, it just didn't seem humanly possible to do what he was doing.

Amphetamines lol.

By 1975, he's just a different guy. Blood on the Tracks is more straightforward, mature, and human. He found a much more direct way to articulate emotional nuance. The singing on the album is amazing, not just the vocal quality, but his phrasing is impeccable. The line "Like a corkscrew to my heart" towards the end of "You're A Big Girl Now" hit ME like a corkscrew in my heart.

No disagreement.

Or when he leans into these words in Idiot Wind:

The priest wore black on the seventh day and sat stone-faced while the building burned/I waited for you on the running boards, near the cypress trees, while the springtime turned/ Slooooooooooooowly into Autumn

The venom in his delivery knocks me right on my ass. The whole song is filled with great lines like that. I listen to Idiot Wind a lot when I'm feeling bitter and heartbroken. :D

Idiot Wind might be the most vindictive song ever written. Love it lol.

I think he ends it on the appropriate note with Buckets of Rain. It's a good song on its own, but it is especially poignant in the context of the whole album. It's playful and wistful at the same time, hopeful yet resigned.

*Nods*

What do YOU think Night?

I always thought it was criminally underappreciated in his volume of work. It wouldn't crack my top 3, personally. My three favorites are "Another Side of Bob Dylan", and the two which followed that one.

My favorite song on the album is "Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts".

Thanks for sharing. :)

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I always thought it was criminally underappreciated in his volume of work. It wouldn't crack my top 3, personally. My three favorites are "Another Side of Bob Dylan", and the two which followed that one.

My favorite song on the album is "Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts".

Thanks for sharing. :)

That's interesting that Another Side is your favourite, because I've always felt it was the Bob equivalent to "Beatles for Sale" (same year, self-aware title, a great album that never became as iconic as the ones it was sandwiched between, lots of lesser known gems contained therein). And I feel like your signature recently claimed BfS was your favourite album? You also really like Muswell Hillbillies, right?

I'm definitely seeing a pattern of admiration for the overlooked gems!

Anyway, I quite like "Another Side" too. I tried putting Spanish harlem Incident on to set the mood with a girl one time, and she immediately stopped kissing and me and asked: Ugh! Who is that awful singer? I said: only the world's greatest singer of all-time! To which she replied: I don't believe you, and then she acted like we never had met.

I quickly skipped ahead to "It Ain't Me Babe", and told her to get out.

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

That's interesting that Another Side is your favourite, because I've always felt it was the Bob equivalent to "Beatles for Sale" (same year, self-aware title, a great album that never became as iconic as the ones it was sandwiched between, lots of lesser known gems contained therein).

Bob's songs were becoming more absurd, poetic, and introspective. He wasn't a protest singer anymore, and yeah, Bob and The Beatles were always influencing each other (Mostly John). It was during this time that he turned them onto pot for the first time.

And I feel like your signature recently claimed BfS was your favourite album? You also really like Muswell Hillbillies, right?

Beatles album, yeah. I think Revolver is their best, though.

Muswell Hillbillies is really good. Ray Davies is my favorite song writer.

I'm definitely seeing a pattern of admiration for the overlooked gems!

:)

Anyway, I quite like "Another Side" too. I tried putting Spanish harlem Incident on to set the mood with a girl one time, and she immediately stopped kissing and me and asked: Ugh! Who is that awful singer? I said: only the world's greatest singer of all-time! To which she replied: I don't believe you, and then she acted like we never had met.

I quickly skipped ahead to "It Ain't Me Babe", and told her to get out.

This is too good.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Tales Of A Grass Widow - CocoRosie
Beat The Champ - The Mountain Goats
Cassadaga - Bright Eyes
The Family Tree: The Roots - Radical Face

EtaCarinae

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
Hole - Celebrity Skin / Nobody's Daughter (I'd count them as one but can't decide on a third place anyway...)

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My favorites have changed quite a bit since I started this thread, my new top 3:

Phaedra, Tangerine Dream

Tangerine+Dream_Rubycon-284114b.jpg

A Love Supreme, John Coletrane

8b1f0d01.jpg

Sweet Child, The Pentangle

116055371.jpeg