• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Waz up with anime?

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Why is it such an opiate to some types, especially NFJs?

It's like a highly addictive drug to me. Is it the art, the stories, what?

TK*

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was attracted to anime because it was an escape from my reality. Often the main characters were misfits like myself in angsty, mystical situations. It opened up my imagination to hope for overcoming my own crazy problems. Unrealstic hope, of course, but still it was a pleasant distraction from MY shitty reality. I find that now that I have my life a little more together anime doesn't appeal to me as it used to. *shrugs* I'm still an otaku though and I still love reading mangas and watching new animes! :D

Peace.

Wandering

Highly Hollow
MBTI Type
INFJ
Is it just me, or is there an inordinate amount of anime-based avatars among the INFJ population of this board :huh: ?

cheap

MBTI Type
F00D
Oh oh! I used to love Pokemon and Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon...

Those *so* count. :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
At a guess, cause you can watch it for hours without getting bored?

Let's face it non Anime cartoons tend to be too inane and if you try and watch too much of a series then either it ends (cause real actors want pay rises) too soon or you get tired of watching it. Anime is fairly safe from changes and usually runs for ages.

Atomic Fiend

I enjoy the excellent voice acting.

*Ba Dum Thsssss*

Actually I'm not really that into anime, I just like the way the characters are designed over american cartoons, though if I had to pick between watching a JLU and a Rurouni Kenshin, I would probably pick the JLU.

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
Most anime that I've seen absolutley smacks of F(e). Given it's often abstract nature, I'd say that anime is the mind of an INFJ externalized and animated.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
NTs seem to really like it, too.

I have to confess, I don't see the appeal at all.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Most anime that I've seen absolutley smacks of F(e). Given it's often abstract nature, I'd say that anime is the mind of an INFJ externalized and animated.

Hm...that actually might be it. It does seem to shadow our personal experiences, values, abilities, and philosophies. Although now that you mention it that way, it's kinda creepy having such a personal aspect of our NFJ nature on display.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
You can shoot fireballs from your hands?

:rofl1:

Think a bit more realistically about what an INFJ's abilities are. We are a type that prospers under adversity. Most animes are about a main character who has to get stronger to overcome great obstacles. We understand the good and evil in just about any situation. A good share of animes are about complex situations in which no one really knows who or what is good or evil and it is left to the main character to sort it out. We are natural leaders to some groups because we can absorb and understand other's feelings and perceptions. Many animes are about a leader getting a team together and helping each individual overcome their weaknesses so that the entire team can accomplish something great. Animes highlight an INFJ's abilities.

Atomic Fiend

headless_man.jpg

suzyk

MBTI Type
INTP
I still like anime, and I watch too much to say what I like and what I dislike.

I like Pokemon. The video-games, I mean. And the anime, since it's the only thing to watch on TV when I come home for lunch.

owarinoTenshi

MBTI Type
INTP
I used to be really big into anime, enough to fill up 3 hard drives full of it and take Japanese for a year. I was introduced to anime my freshman year of college by some guys in my dorm. They were into the typical action series, like Naruto and Trigun. I liked the shows because they were fairly entertaining, and, at least for the shows that we're still being fansubbed, a lot more easily obtained, which was a major plus because I didn't have any money.

I didn't really get into anime until one of my friends casually mentioned that a particular show called AIR was worth watching. I copied the series from him, watched it, and I was hooked. The series was a sort of supernatural drama/love story with a very... emotional ending. I cried for hours after the ending. After then, I voraciously consumed every dramatic series I could find.

I'm not very emotional, and at that time, I thought I might be unable to really feel much emotion at all. My external world was, and still is to a degree, rather devoid of emotion, or at least any emotions I liked (I mainly just get stressed and embarrassed). Somehow, these anime series presented an accessible world to me. I could often relate to the characters, who seemed to be much more likely to be introverted than in mainstream American media. I could be emotionally involved. Whether they were light-hearted comedies or heart-wrenching tragedies, I was pretty much addicted to the emotions I got from them.

I don't know how to fit it in with being an INTP very well though. Maybe it's a case of having a severely underdeveloped Fe.

I don't really keep up with the whole scene anymore though. I watch an occasional series now and again, but it seems like it's gotten harder to get my fix from anime. I guess its because the originality and novelty has worn off. Plus, it's gotten harder to get episodes, since my university has clamped down on P2P and Bittorrent hard.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Why is it such an opiate to some types, especially NFJs?

It's like a highly addictive drug to me. Is it the art, the stories, what?

I always thought it was the overtly busty woman..."OMG DID YOU SEE THE RACK ON HER, THEY COULD SINK A CRUISE LINER!"

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've only really seen one anime (Akira), although i really liked it a lot, i can't really get into any other anime for some reason. I enjoyed the manga a lot more than i did the movie.

Apollonian

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm going with the explanation of how the 200+ years of peaceful seclusion under the Tokugawa shogunate allowed the ruling class to devote an increasing amount of their time to the study of aesthetics. Thus, the Japanese as a people have a much more intuitive understanding of what is really beautiful and noteworthy when it comes to art, as compared with the Americans who have gone the opposite direction by deluding all of their art by using it in advertisements or producing it only as a means to profit.

As for the addictive nature of it... I think it has to do with a combination of the artistry, music, storywriting, and careful characterization. Together, these elements serve to poignantly illucidate those parts of our lives which we do not often get to express with each other in casual conversation.

Try as I may, my Fi wants to express my glee but when I try to express anything with Te, all I get is the obfuscated rant above. *sigh*

Atomic Fiend

Lets break it down.

A season, feel free to add whatever you like.

• Introduction- If it's a good show it will last for well over 5 episodes.
  • Filler/set up- Usually for a tournament or contest of some sort.
  • Tournament - Big baddie waiting for protagonist at the finals. We're expected to believe that the protaganist is hot shit in the preliminaries, only to be proven wrong when the main antagonist struts his stuff.
  • Tourney Drama- Secrets, love, an abnormal boost in power before the finals.
  • Finals- 10eps of people getting punched, kicked, blasted, outwitted, usually anything that can be animated into fight scene, card battle, blade battle, whatever. Usually some sort of ascended state is aquired but not always, but most of the time.
  • Conclusion - Good guy wins. Bad guy dies, changes his ways, is arrested, whatever.