User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

^I would use that criteria for Shonen action animes, animes like Lucky Star and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are totally random. They're also usually the most popular ones, because of the parodies and utter humor in them. Or you could go with a serious anime/manga like Death Note. I prefer FMA.
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    OMNi

Some of my favorite animes seemed utterly pointless. Like Witch Hunter Robin, Big O, and Wolf Rain. Others like Stand Alone Complex and Death Note are so complex I have to watch them 3 or 4 times through to really understand the whole story. And some are just funny as hell like the Irresponsible Captain Taylor. None of those follow any particular formula.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    istp

Stand Alone Complex is pure awesome.

I don't generally watch anime though.
    No offense.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Perhaps one of you Otaku could explain then why Ghost in a Shell is so widely reckoned to be brilliant? I mean I liked it but I wouldn't have called it special and certainly wouldn't mention it in front of Akira, possibly the only Anime I had to watch more than once to get the nuances (well as far as I know anyhow).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Wandering's post made my day, esp. since she has that Hollow avatar. I never suspected an anime fan of you.

As far as manga and anime, I find the obscure, non-action stuff more pleasurable (although I do read/watch action and mainstream series). CLAMP is a great group, and Kaori Yuki makes some great, twisted stories (incest, murder, social corruption, etc.). It's the art and story that appeals to me, as well as the themes. Sometimes a series has a crappy theme, poor character development, and decent art, but the first two just turn me off (like BECK; seriously, the main character had no character. You could cut him out of the story, tell it from Ryusuke's perspective, and it'd still fly. "The guitar is your personality expressed on six strings"? True that, but then you need a personality to begin with. [I could rant about BECK some more, but I won't.])

As for why INFJs appear to like manga and anime more... it might be related to the general theory that INFJs love video games, fantasy novels, art, etc. To begin with, the authors must love reading, drawing, and stories anyway, so it'd only be natural that they'd appeal to like-minded people. Of course, NFJs aren't the only ones who like to read, draw, and listen to music.

-A

EDIT: I don't consider myself an otaku. Manga and anime don't play that great of a part in my life, so don't lump me in there. :P
    "Je ne craignais pas de mourir
    Mais de mourir sans etre illumine."

"I was not afraid to die,
    But to die without being enlightened."

-Comte de Saint-Germain, La Tres Sainte-Trinisophie

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Perhaps one of you Otaku could explain then why Ghost in a Shell is so widely reckoned to be brilliant? I mean I liked it but I wouldn't have called it special and certainly wouldn't mention it in front of Akira, possibly the only Anime I had to watch more than once to get the nuances (well as far as I know anyhow).
    I'm certainly an anime otaku and I didn't find it to be brilliant.

Now Spirited Away was brilliant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INTP

You know, Otaku's are like the die hard fans. I do watch anime, but not regularly.

And why don't you find out for yourself?
    "I can write better than anybody who can write faster, and I can write faster than anybody who can write better."
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I'm certainly an anime otaku and I didn't find it to be brilliant.

Now Spirited Away was brilliant.
    Yeah I used to like watching them. I must admit I've lost interest recently. Too much kiddie stuff for my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyk View Post
    You know, Otaku's are like the die hard fans. I do watch anime, but not regularly.

And why don't you find out for yourself?
    Oh I've seen it, read about it and discussed it. I still don't see it's greatness and yet it's listed as like one of the best out there. I just can't see why.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

I never really watched it. I'm not into Science Fiction animes/mangas.

I am humored by how people say 'anime is my anti-drug maaaaan'.
    - A. J. Liebling

MBTI
    istp

Oh I've seen it, read about it and discussed it. I still don't see it's greatness and yet it's listed as like one of the best out there. I just can't see why.
    Yeah, it was pretty underwhelming. It's probably considered great because it was one of the first of its genre. The series that followed was much better though.
    No offense.