User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Hauntology

violaine

I think it's interesting to think about, and it gives form to a loose collection of observations I've had myself. Thanks for posting Vasilisa, I'll be reflecting on things through this lens. (The shortcomings of language, in particular, English has really intrigued me for quite some time... I studied Japanese and there are concepts inherent in their words and writing that convey deeper meaning. As is also the case with what I know of Maya hieroglyphs. I've often mourned what I think of as the single-dimensionality of English. Though, I've had other competing thoughts around that but won't go into them.)

It's seems we are awash with the refrains of history. We all have access to so much historical information now, that there are many timelines and experiences to absorb. Our present is inundated. I'm reminded of the idea of the value of learning from history, but it's interesting to think about the possible effects of historical events living long past when they might have, were they not preserved so well for future generations. (Hmm, thinking...)

I think it's a reach though to ascribe the use of things such as facebook to the preservation of self for posterity or a means to ward off death. It may be on that continuum, in that I think of it as a way to ward off a feeling of irrelevancy, and a way to satisfy urges for attention. Or socializing. Not bad things, just not as lofty.

I think our avatar/internet selves can take on a life of their own that is quite seductive though and may be preferable to real life existence for many at some future time.

MBTI
    INxP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I haven't seen that film, what is it about?
    A kind of falsified documentary about the straying thoughts of a traveller in far off places. Read out over 90 minutes to a strange, but compelling arrangement of footage gathered in relation to the writing. I can't actually remember any points that the narration contained, but that wasn't the point of it ^^. I remember being inspired at distinct times in a very Ne kind of way, just like violaine described above.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Care to explain pseudo-philosophy?
    The concept is self-explanatory: philosophy that tries to seem insightful and analytical, but really doesn't pertain to philosophy in its content. It's possible to be philosophical or to have a philosophical interpretation of something, but that doesn't necessarily make it a form or branch of philosophy, or even making it worthy of the term.

According to the Wikipedia page, it's a philosophy of history that is somewhat related to "non-places" and brings in its concept of non-time. I just don't think it's all that profound or poignant. If you really want to defend this concept, go ahead.

BTW, just for good measure, from the Wiki page: "The idea of hauntology has been criticised by a number of philosophers..." Also, no one likes Derrida. Fact.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeZero View Post
    The concept is self-explanatory: philosophy that tries to seem insightful and analytical, but really doesn't pertain to philosophy in its content. It's possible to be philosophical or to have a philosophical interpretation of something, but that doesn't necessarily make it a form or branch of philosophy, or even making it worthy of the term.
    That's still too fuzzy for me. Sounds like it all comes down to conventions or personal taste. Wasn't the question what the backside of the moon looks like once considered a philosophical question (in the sense of not answerable in an empirical manner)? Also, you define pseudo-philosophy as philosophy that isn't philosophy...shouldn't it be something other than philosophy posing as philosophy?
    That is, what specific criteria have to be fulfilled in your opinion for a concept or discipline to deserve the label?

According to the Wikipedia page, it's a philosophy of history that is somewhat related to "non-places" and brings in its concept of non-time. I just don't think it's all that profound or poignant. If you really want to defend this concept, go ahead.
    Ha ha, oh no. I find it mildly interesting but am not invested in it and have no intention of defending it. I have just met a few too many snobby philosophy PhD students who IRL who are very touchy about what is or isn't kosher and who has a licence to even talk about certain things (which seems to go against the grain of what philosophy was and is supposed to be!). So I developed a certain degree of allergy against that. Academic severity and rigor are important and have their place. Snobbism and reflex-like dismissal of ideas is something else.

BTW, just for good measure, from the Wiki page: "The idea of hauntology has been criticised by a number of philosophers..." Also, no one likes Derrida. Fact.
    See above. As for Derrida...you might be right. I even heard a guest lecture of his once. Everybody went "omg, god is coming!" (a bit like Zizek coming into town years later, but he's much more fun ). Let's just say I found him very hard to digest, but maybe that's just me and my limited faculties.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Sorry if I came off as snobby or pretentious. I have a bad habit of doing that when I doubt someone's good faith within comments or question (which I always do, at least initially).

That is, what specific criteria have to be fulfilled in your opinion for a concept or discipline to deserve the label?
    My criteria for this is actually simple: not germane to philosophy and its branches and various sub-branches (metaphysics, aesthetics, ethics, logic, epistemology, constructivism, ontology, utilitarianism, deontology, etc). Its treatment of whatever subject it involves, in this case is history, is typically shallow and unfounded. Whether or not it's philosophy that isn't philosophy or something that tries to be philosophy but isn't is just a bunch of semantics. I'd rather debate content over definitions.

Academic severity and rigor are important and have their place. Snobbism and reflex-like dismissal of ideas is something else.
    Sure, I have a knee-jerk reaction to these sort of things. Is that a lack of charity on my part? I don't know, maybe. I can tell you that I don't typically react like this when presented with substantial reasoning and/or strong explanatory power.

Let's just say I found him very hard to digest, but maybe that's just me and my limited faculties.
    I haven't read much technical philosophy, but from what I have read, it's all hard to digest. Don't worry, I'm sure your faculties are plentiful. Most philosophers are densely magniloquent to the point of producing baffling batshit that defeats their initial purpose which is clarity and precision. Kant comes to mind. I needed paraphrases to understand any of his concepts. I also think a good amount of philosophers are rather unskilled writers, but that's my opinion. I would actually not recommend reading much technical philosophy at first; settle for analytical essays or interpretations. Not aimed at you, but just in general. I feel like it's too time consuming when a lot of philosophy can be summed up well in like >10 pages.

Off-topic, I thought this was going to be related to parapsychology just based off of "haunt." Parapsychology is a far more interesting discipline, I have to admit.
    MBTI: INxP
    Enneagram: 5w4
    Multiple Intelligence: Linguistic/verbal, intrapersonal.