Amazing 40-minute gameplay

15:50 made me tear up.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hmm. Morrowind was before its time, so it was awesome!

But I didn't like the controls much in Oblivion and the graphics (especially character models) didn't quite meet my expectations, for me that brought the gameplay factor down quite a bit and the rest of the game wasn't awesome enough for me to keep playing through it (Although I did like the bow mechanics quite a bit).

I'll be sure to check out Skyrim though, maybe it will surprise me.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTx

Looks pretty awesome...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

It looks a bit too much like an action game for a fan of Morrowind (as I am), but maybe it's just an impression...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

figsfiggyfigs

Yeah. I"m pretty pumped.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It looks a bit too much like an action game for a fan of Morrowind (as I am), but maybe it's just an impression...
    That's the trend. According to the interviews with Todd Howard and other members of the team, the reasons for this are that they enjoy making an entirely new gameplay experience for each episode. I guess it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, but yeah.

Honestly, I felt Oblivion was dumbed down because it holds your hand during quests. You didn't have to read or problem solve for hardly any of them, so it became a sandbox hack 'n' slash of sorts. However, there was a storehouse of lore and books that gave it a deeper feel.

Somehow Morrowind gave me more satisfaction than Oblivion, and it's probably because it didn't coddle me or follow my progress with a level scaler.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    That's the trend. According to the interviews with Todd Howard and other members of the team, the reasons for this are that they enjoy making an entirely new gameplay experience for each episode. I guess it's tempting to jump to the conclusion that they're trying to appeal to a wider audience, but yeah.

Honestly, I felt Oblivion was dumbed down because it holds your hand during quests. You didn't have to read or problem solve for hardly any of them, so it became a sandbox hack 'n' slash of sorts. However, there was a storehouse of lore and books that gave it a deeper feel.

Somehow Morrowind gave me more satisfaction than Oblivion, and it's probably because it didn't coddle me or follow my progress with a level scaler.
    Same. Exactly. I felt like the world was living "without" me, and whatever actions I tried to execute in order to finish my quests had to take into account such a situation - the whole game design felt as if I was starrting my own adventure, as opposed to a predetermined plot created by the game designers. Oblivion never managed to convey this sensation.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Same. Exactly. I felt like the world was living "without" me, and whatever actions I tried to execute in order to finish my quests had to take into account such a situation - the whole game design felt as if I was starrting my own adventure, as opposed to a predetermined plot created by the game designers. Oblivion never managed to convey this sensation.
    I think they tried to take a different angle by making you feel that way through Oblivions Radiant AI, but ultimately I feel the same way you do about Morrowind. Despite the NPCs just being pieces of cardboard propped up for you to nab quests from, Morrowind felt more alive, somehow. In the realm of imagination. Which is really the stuff of RPGs.

The more realism is incorporated into a video game, the less imagination it requires to pull the pieces together, and the less options you have.

Don't get me wrong, I love the combat systems and the new ways of killing shit that will be available in Skyrim. It's not going to be as whimsical as Morrowind, possibly more intimidating than Oblivion. We'll just wait and see. I'm still psyched though.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Looks pretty awesome...

Ah, the typical console blooming effect to hide the low-rez textures. A very poor job of doing so, I might add. The PC version will look better, I guarantee it. I think that the seventh generation of consoles has had more than its run. It's time for the eighth generation.