• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

G

Ginkgo

I think Skyrim and Oblivion have too much breadth and not enough depth. The story, I hear, is really long but I prefer my characters to be "fat" than "many."

Morrowind was deeper than both; the lore and atmosphere was more immersive. Morrowind demanded that you be immersed or you wouldn't know how to progress through the game. If my memory proves me correctly, Skyrim features a "dragon shout" that traces the way to the next objective/checkpoint? That sounds like a streamlined arrow/compass system in lieu of Oblivion's old coddle function.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's a stunning, stunning improvement over Oblivion and far closer to Morrowind in some terms of thorough design and execution. Not to mention, as primarily a magic class player, using magic is far better balanced and more exciting/fun to play in Skyrim as compared to both Oblivion and Morrowind. The world design is fantastic, and I find myself hammering F12 every 2 seconds just snapping screenshots of all the vistas. I started playing Friday morning and essentially ignored the world all for Skyrim Weekend, notifying those close to me I will not be around, and I've embarassingly logged 40 hours Friday morning-Sunday night...and I've only fully visited 2 of the 9 cities and completed the Mage College storyline. I haven't touched the main quest aside from getting my house in Whiterun. The first time I heard the Greybeards shout "DOVAHKIIN," shaking the world with a crack of thunder I nearly shit my pants it was so awesome.

As I said earlier, I'm playing a mage and it's an immense amount of fun. Oddly my most dangerous opponents are other mages; lightning also drains magicka so you're always starved [though the restoration perk of wards absorbing magicka is a lifesaver] and they tend to dismiss my Atronachs. I actually like how the scaling works in this game; yes you'll start finding more Elven and Ebony armor on bandit chiefs and maurauders but you do get a sense of progression, bandits and random encounters are easier while dungeons containing named loot and certain dragons are always challenging fights.

Morrowind was deeper than both; the lore and atmosphere was more immersive. Morrowind demanded that you be immersed or you wouldn't know how to progress through the game. If my memory proves me correctly, Skyrim features a "dragon shout" that traces the way to the next objective/checkpoint? That sounds like a streamlined arrow/compass system in lieu of Oblivion's old coddle function.

As I said above, the world feels far more crafted and designed, which evokes the feel of Morrowind's uniqueness in terms of how it felt imagined and created rather that Oblivion's sense of generic fantasy copy/paste, however from a mechanics standpoint, yes Morrowind is deeper in the sense that you can really get in to the nuts and bolts of a variety of systems and begin to break the game. In Skyrim, while the world is your oyster and you are given immense freedom in how you navigate that world, the game is far more tightly controlled and restrictive [though still incredibly open in comparison to other games] with it's gameplay mechanics in order to ensure a well designed play experience. This is the reason that say, spellmaking has been removed from the game [much to my chagrin]; it is because the enemies, itemization, scaling is designed around those fixed focal points and abilities in order to deliver a more crafted and controlled experience. Also, the "shout" you're referring to is actually a spell, but I do not use it.

I do think Skyrim is just as immersive, if not moreso than Morrowind partly because of how well crafted it is and obviously, because of the graphical presentation.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Is it seriously not buggy? every bathesda game is buggy as shit when it first comes out.
They are bugs, as there are always going to be with sandbox games of this enormous size, but nowhere near as frequent as some past Bethesda games.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
They are bugs, as there are always going to be with sandbox games of this enormous size, but nowhere near as frequent as some past Bethesda games.

The Pc versions are usually buggy as hell when they first come out, that's why I'll wait a few months before playing the game.

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ

KDude

Far better than Oblivion. It practically looks like a generation jump.

It's not even a slight difference. It's a massive difference.

Take a look here, to see for yourself: http://www.gamezone.com/editorials/the-graphical-advancements-of-skyrim-a-comparison-to-oblivion

All pre-release footage was from Xbox gameplay, so that should give you an idea as well.

Yeah, I think I should change my opinion. I kind of forgot how Oblivion looks tbh.

Maybe I'm just making the comparison because they have a similar design/art style.

--

So am I the only who was tempted to recreate the Nord in the trailers? My dude is blonde with warpaint, but he's basically the same concept. I've been wanting to create a Norse hero in a game for a long time, but few have given me the opportunity like this.

So far though, I'm undecided on twohanded or sword and shield.

Words of Ivory

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I think I should change my opinion. I kind of forgot how Oblivion looks tbh.
Yeah, I didn't realise just how huge a leap it was myself until I went back and played it just getting into Skyrim.

Them faces... oh god...

So am I the only who was tempted to recreate the Nord in the trailers? My dude is blonde with warpaint, but he's basically the same dude.
Female high elf archer here, I'm afraid!

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So am I the only who was tempted to recreate the Nord in the trailers? My dude is blonde with warpaint, but he's basically the same concept. I've been wanting to create a Norse hero in a game for a long time, but few have given me the opportunity like this.

So far though, I'm undecided on twohanded or sword and shield.

To bad, I sort of just went with Imperial, probably could of played as a Nord if I wanted to. Went with sword and shield like I always do. 2H feels too slow for me.

KDude

To bad, I sort of just went with Imperial, probably could of played as a Nord if I wanted to. Went with sword and shield like I always do. 2H feels too slow for me.

I thought it was slow at first, but once I got in those Nord ruins, I equipped a greatsword and liked it. I'm killing things pretty fast. It feels realistic actually. It'll drop the average minion in one or two hits.

I had a lot of false starts and at first just followed that Imperial guard in the intro. This playthrough I followed the Stormcloak guy. I wonder if this makes a significant difference as time goes on.

I know you can be a Nord and still follow Imperials. I guess it comes down to whether or not you revere Talos.

FireShield98

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp

I'm an imperial too. In my first file, I was a Breton, but I became dissatisfied with how I was doing (like I often do in RPGs), so I created a new data (Khajiit, actually, but again, I didn't like how I was doing), and then I chose imperial just to see what the soldier at Helgen would say as your race-specific thing, and I decided to keep playing as that character. I also go with sword and shield (as my Breton, though, I dual-wielded magic and it was awesome - but very inaccurate and I often ended up hitting guards or other friendly npcs, causing my dissatisfaction with the file).

I had a lot of false starts and at first just followed that Imperial guard in the intro. This playthrough I followed the Stormcloak guy. I wonder if this makes a significant difference as time goes on..

I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure the main story doesn't change at all (ever), and I'm pretty sure you can always join either the Imperial Legion or the Stormcloaks.

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure the main story doesn't change at all (ever), and I'm pretty sure you can always join either the Imperial Legion or the Stormcloaks.

As long as you don't pick a side, it shouldn't affect the main storyline.

However, if you are doing the Civil War Quests, like me, it DOES effect the main storyline. At least, from what I have been reading.

KDude

I'm slowly taking sides, but not quite yet. Just started helping some Greymanes, but not Stormcloaks.

Also, my companion Lydia is hot. Why can't I marry her? I don't even want to take her anywhere now, to prevent her from dying. lol

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
BioWare's done Dragon Age, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, the Mass Effect games, as well as Baldur's Gate, etc.

*mock horrified gasp* How can you forget Neverwinter Nights and its DLCs?

I don't think the games that the 2 companies produce are directly comparable at all. While Bioware games do have more replayability than most RPGs, it is not as massively free-form as the Elder Scroll series. I prefer Bioware but that is mostly due to my days of playing AD&D and reading Forgotten Realms stuff in my youth.

KDude

I've always been a critic of Bethesda, but this game is the shit. It doesn't sacrifice the strength of the previous games, but they've done a better job at telling a story here. Maybe that's Fallout's influence. The Protagonist (you) matters more than just the sum of your random actions and wanderings. The whole Dragonborn thing is cool as hell.