• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wilfred

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I haven't watched an entire episode, but it comes on right before Louie, so I've seen a few minutes of it. It actually doesn't look bad, considering the premise.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't watched an entire episode, but it comes on right before Louie, so I've seen a few minutes of it. It actually doesn't look bad, considering the premise.

Louie is the better show (it's one of the most original and funny shows on TV right now) but Wilfred isn't bad, and is certainly a more traditional comedy. FX tends to air good comedies (at present these include It's Always Sunny, Archer, Louie, Wilfred, The League), and while Wilfred is on the lower end of that spectrum (I find Louie, Archer and It's Always Sunny great (though It's Always Sunny may be getting a bit long in the tooth) while Wilfred and the League are good), it's still enjoyable. Plus, it's only season 1. Maybe it's too soon to really judge.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I don't have cable TV, so a lot of shows get past me. I haven't heard of Louie until now, but having just looked it up, the story seems pretty good.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't have cable TV, so a lot of shows get past me. I haven't heard of Louie until now, but having just looked it up, the story seems pretty good.

It has only a few small, recurring stories and is mostly about Louie dealing with being divorced and his kids and his career and his own insecurities and hang-ups. It's feel is very unique from every other comedy I've ever seen, as it comes from a more real, less quirky place (and sometimes even veers into surrealism). It's mostly vignettes: Louie remembering how guilt-ridden Catholic school made him feel by bringing in a morgue worker to explain in detail how Jesus's torture destroyed his body when he was about 8, Louie seeing a homeless man killed by a bus on the way to a date and becoming morose and introspective, Louie talking to Joan Rivers about what it is to be a comedian, Louie overcoming social insecurity as a result of his sister going into labor, or Louie getting in a fist fight with a good friend about politics. None of these are done in the traditional sitcom style at all.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It has only a few small, recurring stories and is mostly about Louie dealing with being divorced and his kids and his career and his own insecurities and hang-ups. It's feel is very unique from every other comedy I've ever seen, as it comes from a more real, less quirky place (and sometimes even veers into surrealism). It's mostly vignettes: Louie remembering how guilt-ridden Catholic school made him feel by bringing in a morgue worker to explain in detail how Jesus's torture destroyed his body when he was about 8, Louie seeing a homeless man killed by a bus on the way to a date and becoming morose and introspective, Louie talking to Joan Rivers about what it is to be a comedian, Louie overcoming social insecurity as a result of his sister going into labor, or Louie getting in a fist fight with a good friend about politics. None of these are done in the traditional sitcom style at all.

This is a good description. It also pretty well dispenses with traditional continuity. His mother might not be played by the same actress from one episode to another, or the mother might be a very well adjusted person in one episode and a complete lunatic in another. The only real constants are Louis himself, his personality, and the fact that he is a divorced dad of two girls. It's very real and very unreal at the same time.

I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a pretty amazing show. If you like Louis CK's comedy, you will like it. It's funny, but it manages to make you think a lot, too.

Here's a review Chuck Klosterman wrote about this season of Louie: http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/32345/louies-brilliant-second-season

Last edited: