User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Idealatious View Post
    Gonna reawaken this thread for a bit because this is awesome.
    Thanks! I'd like to read your "ridiculous" story

And "good" writing is not necessarily story first. I've even read more than once that characters make the story, not the other way around. My opinion on this is: it doesn't matter which idea came first; as long as in the end you developed both characters and plot. I come up with very abstract ideas first (like: I want to write a fantasy story in which everything goes wrong.) Plot and characters get created together while I work out a summary. Usually I also get very detailed ideas even at the very first stage (eg. a sentence a character should say, how the magical orb looks like,...) but I don't write them down yet. I've tried once to not write down the details until I had the whole summary, and that worked so well that I accept that as a rule now.

By the way, I've given up (for now) on the robot story. Right now, I'm working on a travel story with an ESTP hero. During some time he has an ENTP companion, but mostly he travels alone and chats up every stranger he meets. After his travels, the ESTP tells his adventures to a friend, who writes them down. The idea is to alternate between the travel stories of the ESTP, and the diary of the writer friend who gets into some problems because of these stories. I don't know the friend well enough yet, but I guess he's either an ISTJ or an ISFJ.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I suppose it's about as unheard of as an INFP military commander. unusual character are more fun
    There are INFP military commanders in history.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I don't usually type my characters. I find that for me, if I do that, it takes away from their depth. I have to admit though I have a fondness for INTP/INFP characters. I actually rather tend to base characters on people I know in real life. Although they often barely recognisable.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    There are INFP military commanders in history.
    from what little I've read of him, I think Liutprand, king of the Lombards was an INFP military commander.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I was trying search on google, but I'm sure there was a famous INFP roman general as well.
    Granted it's unlikely Career move, especially in this day and age.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I've been trying to work on this story for several years, but I keep changing the plot and I have no idea how it's going to end. All I know is the characters, really; my story consists mostly of character-driven anecdotes with no cohesion to speak of. (Looking for inspiration and not finding any )

The characters and their types:
    (Male) Narrator/Moody reluctant antihero: ISTJ 1w9 in constant shadow mode (i.e. very 4w5-ish)
    Reluctant hero's girlfriend: possibly ESTP or ISFP 1w2
    (Female) Anxious wallflower/reluctant leader (or villain, in a possible twist ending): ISFJ 6w7
    Supporting cast:
    - (Male) Scatterbrained/silly/brilliant musician: ENTP 7w6
    - (Male) Loyal/macho/intense athlete: ESTx 8w9
    - (Female) Ruthless social climber: ExxJ 3w4
    - (Female) Loyal friend and terrifying enemy (also an athlete): ENFx 1w2
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I've been trying to work on this story for several years, but I keep changing the plot and I have no idea how it's going to end. All I know is the characters, really; my story consists mostly of character-driven anecdotes with no cohesion to speak of. (Looking for inspiration and not finding any )
    Sounds if you need an external Te! (??)
    Really, really try to nail down the end first. That way you'll know where you're heading.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    91?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    Thanks! I'd like to read your "ridiculous" story

And "good" writing is not necessarily story first. I've even read more than once that characters make the story, not the other way around. My opinion on this is: it doesn't matter which idea came first; as long as in the end you developed both characters and plot. I come up with very abstract ideas first (like: I want to write a fantasy story in which everything goes wrong.) Plot and characters get created together while I work out a summary. Usually I also get very detailed ideas even at the very first stage (eg. a sentence a character should say, how the magical orb looks like,...) but I don't write them down yet. I've tried once to not write down the details until I had the whole summary, and that worked so well that I accept that as a rule now.

By the way, I've given up (for now) on the robot story. Right now, I'm working on a travel story with an ESTP hero. During some time he has an ENTP companion, but mostly he travels alone and chats up every stranger he meets. After his travels, the ESTP tells his adventures to a friend, who writes them down. The idea is to alternate between the travel stories of the ESTP, and the diary of the writer friend who gets into some problems because of these stories. I don't know the friend well enough yet, but I guess he's either an ISTJ or an ISFJ.
    Argh. so I accidentally deleted what I wrote before; so I'm finally now rewriting it. :/

You're right that characters can come first, but sometimes I can have characters exist for years without ever putting them into a story! And then there are those who I just mess around with and tweek but nothing ever comes from it. It's fun though, so I won't complain too much. With short stories, I tend to think of ideas first and then create characters as needed. With long stories, I tend to develop characters excessively first.

Your story sounds fun, very adventuresque! If I may claim that as a word. ...I just remembered an even more ridiculous story I actually partially wrote in a fit of insanity, but haven't typed the characters yet. It's about a wealthy CEO, maybe ESFJ, with anger management problems and deep-set psychological issues who hires a ton of secretaries in order to one-up someone, and then eventually hires a bodyguard, who, lo and behold, may or may not be the legendary "serial bodyguard" who eventually kills everyone who he works for. And mad scientists, conspiracies, sitcom-like relationships between the secretaries may be involved. I think I wrote that story just to see how often I could laugh during rereading it. It's fun though, I should continue and work on typing the main secretary character.

(*looks at signature* Aww. Err, maybe if you emphasized the Ne's boobs. No wait, add random bows and pink everywhere! ...excuse me while I go rant about gender norms...)

MBTI
    ENTP

Story #4: ESFP adventurer, ENTP companion for a while, ISTJ friend who writes down the adventures of the ESFP. (This one is ready, yay!!)

Story #5: INTP hero, ENTJ dad, ENTP ally/villainess... and lots and lots of SJ villains :-)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The one novel series I'm working on with a friend has two triads of main characters

Triad #1
    ----------
    ExFP male
    IxTJ female
    ENTP male

Triad #2
    -----------
    INFJ female
    ISTJ male
    ESTP male

On one of my private projects:
    -------------------
    INFP female
    ISTJ male

I find the ExFP hardest to write, honestly. I want to do a decent job and present the viewpoint/choices fairly. I do find introverts easier to write than extroverts, since I is one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft