User Tag List

Thread: Painting help

MBTI
    infp

Default Painting help

I'm doing some paintings (acrylic paints) and one part of one of them will have bright primary yellow. The problem is that I sketched everything out in pencil on the canvas and the pencil lead mixed with the paint on contact. That layer has since dried but subsequent coats arn't fully covering it up. I'm worried glossing over it won't do the trick.

Any tips on how to fix it up?

Also, any other helpful tips about painting in general are appreciated, its been a while since I've done it!

I haven't ever used acrylic paints, sorry. How many subsequent coats have you done? Are you letting it dry in between?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    infp

I've only done a couple of coats, and yes, I am letting it dry in between. I'll manage something!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So, usually what I do before I start is I sketch the canvas, then I paint the canvas white. You can usually still see the pencil marks. If I know a particular spot is going to be lighter than the rest, I put extra white paint there. THEN I begin.

For times where it's still showing through though, Paint it white over the areas, let it dry, and then paint on top of the white what you planned on using. That should do the trick, although a bit more annoying than the aforementioned technique.

Also, what can help sometimes is mixing the clear'er shades (Yellows and light greens tend to be straight-up see through for some reason) with opaque colors (like darker yellows or whites or blacks).. Having that yellow under tone could help cover it, and then painting yellow on top could do the trick. I'd try the white first though.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    infp

Its a pre stretched, store bought canvas. I'll keep trying the layering! It should work eventually hahha