• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Painting help

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm doing some paintings (acrylic paints) and one part of one of them will have bright primary yellow. The problem is that I sketched everything out in pencil on the canvas and the pencil lead mixed with the paint on contact. That layer has since dried but subsequent coats arn't fully covering it up. I'm worried glossing over it won't do the trick.

Any tips on how to fix it up?

Also, any other helpful tips about painting in general are appreciated, its been a while since I've done it! :hi:

gromit

likes this
I haven't ever used acrylic paints, sorry. How many subsequent coats have you done? Are you letting it dry in between?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I've only done a couple of coats, and yes, I am letting it dry in between. I'll manage something!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, usually what I do before I start is I sketch the canvas, then I paint the canvas white. You can usually still see the pencil marks. If I know a particular spot is going to be lighter than the rest, I put extra white paint there. THEN I begin.

For times where it's still showing through though, Paint it white over the areas, let it dry, and then paint on top of the white what you planned on using. That should do the trick, although a bit more annoying than the aforementioned technique.

Also, what can help sometimes is mixing the clear'er shades (Yellows and light greens tend to be straight-up see through for some reason) with opaque colors (like darker yellows or whites or blacks).. Having that yellow under tone could help cover it, and then painting yellow on top could do the trick. I'd try the white first though.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Its a pre stretched, store bought canvas. I'll keep trying the layering! It should work eventually hahha