Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Hmm, probably depends on if you compare the extended versions with the theatricals... My friends do this LOTRathon every year and it takes almost 12 hours to watch all three extended films. Ugh.
    I just can't watch the second two movies. Maybe i can skim and watch select clips, but not the whole things. It's too painful.

For some reason, the first one was much more palatable. I felt like it captured the essence overall of what I liked in the books, although there were issues that I didn't like (the video-game depictions of archetypical baddies like the Watcher in the Water and the Balrog or the crazy rendering of Galadriel with lightning coming out of her eyeballs and a voice filter slapped over her larnyx.) So I still watch that one.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    From the reviewers' complaints of "The Hobbit" movie, it should probably be called "The Dwarves."
    From what I've read it should just be called a pile of garbage.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I just can't watch the second two movies. Maybe i can skim and watch select clips, but not the whole things. It's too painful.

For some reason, the first one was much more palatable. I felt like it captured the essence overall of what I liked in the books, although there were issues that I didn't like (the video-game depictions of archetypical baddies like the Watcher in the Water and the Balrog or the crazy rendering of Galadriel with lightning coming out of her eyeballs and a voice filter slapped over her larnyx.) So I still watch that one.
    I loved the first movie. It just works so well. (The Galadriel part always makes me feel uncomfortable because of how cheesy it is.) Also, Sean Bean is Alive and Attractive, and Aragorn is Alive and Dirty and Therefore Attractive. The Sam-Frodo romance hasn't completely bloomed yet, and there aren't insane swaths of time devoted to Charlie Pace Merry and Pippin. A lot of win-win-win.

The second movie only works because I have a love-hate battle to the death with Eomer's eyebrows (they get second billing after all). The inspidness of that chick who's name I forget because she's so ridiculously forgettable makes me want to hurl myself on an orc. And the third movie breaks my heart because someone encouraged Aragorn to Take A Bath and Put Clean Clothing On. Legolas is too pretty and too "A diverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsion" for attraction.

/Random

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I love all three LOTR films but the first one is still my favourite. Although I'm never going to love what they did with Lothlorien and the elves in general. Too weird and spooky, instead of radiantly beautiful, calming and serene.

I love the other two films as well though not in all details. Overall I think I just decided to embrace the fact that there were lots of changes. Or if I didn't like the changes, I just put up with them.

I kind of agree about Aragorn's clean hair just not being the same. But...the bit at his coronation where he sings the song and there are all those white whirling flowers completely dissolves me. I become a blubbery mess. It's just too beautiful. Plus when he meets Arwen again, and then with the hobbits "you bow to no one."

*is practically blubbering just thinking about it*
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I loved the first movie. It just works so well. (The Galadriel part always makes me feel uncomfortable because of how cheesy it is.) Also, Sean Bean is Alive and Attractive, and Aragorn is Alive and Dirty and Therefore Attractive. The Sam-Frodo romance hasn't completely bloomed yet, and there aren't insane swaths of time devoted to Charlie Pace Merry and Pippin. A lot of win-win-win.
    Aside from the things I just bitched about (where Jackson kind of "trivialized" essences that Tolkien deeply perceived, the same problem existed in expressions of power among the Istari), I think the first movie is an example of how to modify a book for the screen. The replacement of Glorfindel (a glorified elven extra) with Arwen worked because Arwen was meaningful and relevant to the story; Boromir actually came off deeper in the movie than in the book (he was VERY extroverted and un-self-aware in the book, a "surface" kind of guy, and I think Bean's portrayal had more core to it); and Aragorn went from an impenetrable plot device (he's just the foretold king, and he never really changes in the novel or fears or grows) to a living breathing human in the movie. Some things were done very right.

The second movie only works because I have a love-hate battle to the death with Eomer's eyebrows (they get second billing after all). The inspidness of that chick who's name I forget because she's so ridiculously forgettable makes me want to hurl myself on an orc. And the third movie breaks my heart because someone encouraged Aragorn to Take A Bath and Put Clean Clothing On. Legolas is too pretty and too "A diverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsion" for attraction.
    Well apparently we'll get all that in spades. Along with a nice CGI flying dragon. Alas. If i have to watch yet another embodiment of darkness or at least selfishness just being some brainless mindless video-game dragon, I'll smash the Arkenstone myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I love all three LOTR films but the first one is still my favourite. Although I'm never going to love what they did with Lothlorien and the elves in general. Too weird and spooky, instead of radiantly beautiful, calming and serene.
    I like my elves to be a little unsettling, although I think you're right... it was a little too cold.

I kind of agree about Aragorn's clean hair just not being the same. But...the bit at his coronation where he sings the song and there are all those white whirling flowers completely dissolves me. I become a blubbery mess. It's just too beautiful. Plus when he meets Arwen again, and then with the hobbits "you bow to no one."
    Lol. I don't even REMEMBER that scene. That's how little engrossed I was. It doesn't sound too bad the way you described it. The only scene meaningful enough to stick with me is when Denethor sent Faramir off to die, he's ripping into his meal like an animal, and Pippin's singing this beautiful aria overtop the cut scenes. Don't ask me how a director who could hit a scene of such power completely miss some of the easier scenes to film. Oh well. (The other scenes I remember are the stupid ones -- a flaming Denethor falling off the top of Minas Tirith, Saruman falling out of Orthanc and getting impailed, etc.)

There is still nothing like the old Rankin/Bass cartoon though. it is goofy in some ways, but I'll never forget it, it was burned into my mind during that impressionable time and I won't be able to excise it. Even the music sticks in my head (with the words ripped right out of the story):

Fifteen birds
    in five fur trees
    the feathers were fanned
    in the fiery breeze
    what funny little birds
    they had no wings
    oh what shall we do
    with the funny little things
    oh what shall we do
    with the funny little things

And that thing the cartoon added when he says he's dumping the dwarves at Mirkwood, and they grumble, and he's like, "now now, I'm already late from bothering with you people." It's starting to veer into Gene Wilder's "Willy Wonka" persona, with that kind of underlying sarcasm.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Im going to just wait until I see the movie myself. Ive been entertained by many a movie and enjoyed many a video game with the most awful reviews.

But of course taste is subjective and maybe I just have bad taste compared to the majority. Besides I might dislike it myself.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

I'm heading to a midnight showing that won't be IMAX (sold out 3 weeks early and I bought my tickets 2 weeks early) but is in 48fps, I think. I'm glad my expectations are down. Maybe I can just enjoy it for what it is.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Btw, even though I hang out here dressed like a Tolkien character I'm not dressing up tonight, but I am sporting a longer beard than usual.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post

I love the other two films as well though not in all details. Overall I think I just decided to embrace the fact that there were lots of changes. Or if I didn't like the changes, I just put up with them.

*is practically blubbering just thinking about it*
    Oh god... I always mock that part because it's just so absurdly over the top emotions. (Clearly we should never sit next to each other during ROTK.) I also usually make an alter boy joke somewhere along the moment when everyone kneels to the hobbits.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I also usually make an alter boy joke somewhere along the moment when everyone kneels to the hobbits.
    Altar boy jokes are a bad hobbit to get into.