User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I'm going to the midnight premier dressed as a hobbit. BY MYSELF.

I guess most people get less nerdy as they get older. Or all my friends are lame.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I'm going to the midnight premier dressed as a hobbit. BY MYSELF.
    I guess most people get less nerdy as they get older. Or all my friends are lame.
    heck, I'd go with you.
    I'm going alone too, but to a Friday afternoon showing instead. I just don't feel like staying up until 4am to get to work on Friday, even going in late. And I figure the midnight showing might be more packed than the Friday afternoon one.

In other news, I'm thinking people ain't feeling the love no more. Jackson's apparently burned whatever capital he had, at least among the reviewers; none seem inclined to show him any mercy. The reviews just get harsher and harsher. It's almost like payback for the over-hype of LotR, even though it's been finished for how many years now? (Don't remember)

This newest Yahoo review I saw is pretty scathing and detailed. Yikes.
    http://news.yahoo.com/hobbit-one-bad...173813922.html

I'm seeing the IMAX High-Res, just to see how it goes. If i hate it, kiss that goodbye on the next two.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm feeling a bit blah about the whole thing; there's just been so much hype and I'm very very dubious about it being three 3-hour-ish films... I mean really. It could have been one 3-hour film.

I'm basically hoping to be pleasantly surprised/love it anyway. The LOTR films are among my fav films and I thought I'd become a bit tired of those too but I was really caught up when I watched Return of the King recently for the first time in ages.

Even if I end up underwhelmed overall, I can't see myself not loving Ian McKellen as Gandalf, again. And I love Martin Freeman as John Watson in the new Sherlock, and in the original Office. He should be a good Bilbo.

I don't know when I'm going to see it...I suspect it probably won't be until a week or two from now.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm feeling a bit blah about the whole thing; there's just been so much hype and I'm very very dubious about it being three 3-hour-ish films... I mean really. It could have been one 3-hour film.
    Precisely. :-/

I had plans to see it this weekend but the reviews make me wary.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have less invested in The Hobbit anyway. I consider it more just a book from my childhood which I enjoyed and still enjoyed from time to time. Whereas LOTR was incredibly important for me. So if I don't like it so much, not such a big deal. I definitely want to give it a chance anyway.

But still. THREE 3-HOUR (or close) FILMS!! Three big films made sense for LOTR considering its length and structure. Not for this one.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Anew Leaf

I still do not understand why the Hobbit has morphed into more film than LOTR. Oh, wait, yes I do... $$$$.

I am going to see it this weekend with a group of probably 20 people. They are all huge fans of Tolkien... so I am hoping to sit with my friend's snarky wife so we can mock it if we need to. (We will probably then be murdered by enraged fans including her overly zealous husband.)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I still do not understand why the Hobbit has morphed into more film than LOTR. Oh, wait, yes I do... $$$$.

I am going to see it this weekend with a group of probably 20 people. They are all huge fans of Tolkien... so I am hoping to sit with my friend's snarky wife so we can mock it if we need to. (We will probably then be murdered by enraged fans including her overly zealous husband.)
    More film...is the total running time actually going to be MORE than LOTR? I haven't seen the details about that...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Anew Leaf

More film...is the total running time actually going to be MORE than LOTR? I haven't seen the details about that...
    Hmm, probably depends on if you compare the extended versions with the theatricals... My friends do this LOTRathon every year and it takes almost 12 hours to watch all three extended films. Ugh.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Hmm, probably depends on if you compare the extended versions with the theatricals... My friends do this LOTRathon every year and it takes almost 12 hours to watch all three extended films. Ugh.
    I love the extended versions too, I must say. Though these days I'm not sure I'd want to watch them all in one go.

A few years ago I went to an...all-night LOTR marathon on IMAX. LOL. I think it started at 9 PM and finished at 8 AM. Or something. I don't quite remember if they were the extended versions or not. It was quite fun, though I think I started nodding off towards the end of ROTK (which normally I wouldn't.)

In any case, it sounds like these "Hobbit" films should actually be called "The Hobbit Plus A Bunch of Other Tolkien Bits and Pieces, With Overly Long Battle Scenes."
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

In any case, it sounds like these "Hobbit" films should actually be called "The Hobbit Plus A Bunch of Other Tolkien Bits and Pieces, With Overly Long Battle Scenes."
    From the reviewers' complaints of "The Hobbit" movie, it should probably be called "The Dwarves."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft