First 3456715 Last

Thread: The Hobbit

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    Stretch it? No. They are going to include every tiny detail in the book.
    Nah, movies don't work that way. They'll stretch it. I don't know many of the details about this film currently and am not really seeking to but I knew they were going to change loads of stuff just from the fact that Galadriel and Legolas are supposed to be in it. I don't recall them appearing in the book!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I read it in the Stars and Stripes they were moving it to three movies.. I was like "Wtf?! LotR was three times the length and only had a movie per.. @_@ Greedy fucks."

The idea of having every detail in a book come to life is awesome--the realization that that won't be why they're making three movies and the fact that every detail will infact not be in the movies and things will be changed around is not awesome at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Well hopefully at least each of the three movies will be a reasonable length, not three or four hours each!

Honestly, I don't see why they couldn't have done it in one three-hour movie or two two-hour movies or something like that. This just seems like overkill.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Nah, movies don't work that way. They'll stretch it. I don't know many of the details about this film currently and am not really seeking to but I knew they were going to change loads of stuff just from the fact that Galadriel and Legolas are supposed to be in it. I don't recall them appearing in the book!
    Exactly. They've been mentioning that + the attack on Dol Guldor for months.

This is Peter Jackson. I'd be surprised if each runtime came in under two hours.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

In principle I don't totally object to making changes, even big changes, to a book when it's made into a film - but they have to have a point or even improve things, not just to stretch things out or whatever. So I guess we'll see.

I don't actually have a huge amount invested in the Hobbit, emotionally. I did with LOTR, as it was life-changing for me in a way the Hobbit was not. And I loved the LOTR movies, with reservations. So I'm not all that worried about these films, though obviously I'd like them to be good.

All that said - the one thing I like more about the Hobbit, over LOTR, is that it has a dragon. And the dragon is being voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, who I am in luuuurrrrrrve with (especially his gorgeous voice!!)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Awww, and I wanted to see it originally, don't know if I will now. The very best thing about the LOTR movies was that they took out so much of the useless detail. I liked the hobbit much more than the LOTR books because there weren't so many pages of useless information added. Maybe it'll be easier to swallow in movie form, though.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Dunno if anyone posted it, but you should check out the old '77 animated adaptation.

[YOUTUBE="X_HbDM6kOJY"]<3[/YOUTUBE]
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Dunno if anyone posted it, but you should check out the old '77 animated adaptation.
    I love that one. I think it's cool how they put all the songs from the book to music. Used to watch that all the time as a kid
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I love that one. I think it's cool how they put all the songs from the book to music. Used to watch that all the time as a kid
    I was a freak about that one, by Rankin-Bass (with Orson Bean doing Bilbo and Theodore doing Gollum and John Huston as Gandalf). It was missing the Arkenstone and Beorn sequences, but otherwise caught all the major elements. Bard and his black arrow was pretty rockin' too.

My parents bought me the record set with accompanying picture book (Yes, I said records -- a 33) and we copied it to cassette (yes, I said cassette) and I would listen to it everynight with the lights out, through my headphones. At one point I could quote much of the entire cartoon, inflection and all.

It was beautiful, and everything was right in the world.

... their version of The Return of the King wasn't nearly as good.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I read it in the Stars and Stripes they were moving it to three movies.. I was like "Wtf?! LotR was three times the length and only had a movie per.. @_@ Greedy fucks."

The idea of having every detail in a book come to life is awesome--the realization that that won't be why they're making three movies and the fact that every detail will infact not be in the movies and things will be changed around is not awesome at all.
    It would have been awesome when I was a teenager.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”