Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I guess we have very different tastes. It's one of my favorite movies, and I didn't really like the Hellboys much (although I love the graphic novels), they seemed goofy to me in comparison to the tone of the original medium.
    I also started out adverse to subtitles (typical American!), but after seeing that movie, and a few others that were subtitled, I now don't have an issue with them if the movie is good.
    I had trouble hating Faramir, because his father treated him so poorly. However, the movie kind of raped the character; he had originally been one of my favorite book characters, and I was disappointed by the movie treatment.
    Because of my overall disappointment with LOTR, I'm not really that excited with the thought of The Hobbit. (If the cleansing of Dol Guldur becomes just one more "Gauntlet" video game bughunt using wizards for firepower, I'll be disgusted.) However, I'll have to watch the vid when I get home just to hear the music. I'm expecting to get more pleasure out of the next Star Trek and the next James Bond pics; if The Hobbit does better than the fourth Underworld movie (which I have bad suspicions about), I'll be pleased.
    that made me dislike him more, not less. his actions were dictated by approval from others, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own life for a father who didn't care about him and saw him as a tool. he character was weak and pathetic (not as in story character, as in Feramir's character as a man) and I have no sympathy for people who throw their lives away
    "If he'd rather die he'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population" Ebeneezer Scrooge (I actually don't believe that their is a surplus population, in fact high population leads to increased standard of living and greater opportunity for trade, business and innovation, but I have no sympathy for those who wish to throw their life away to win someone else's approval)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    that made me dislike him more, not less. his actions were dictated by approval from others, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own life for a father who didn't care about him and saw him as a tool. he character was weak and pathetic (not as in story character, as in Feramir's character as a man) and I have no sympathy for people who throw their lives away
    Ah. Yeah, that makes sense to me, based on your own personality. I didn't really anticipate that angle.

It didn't bother me as much because I have INP sensibilities -- the introverted way doesn't necessarily mean you're a tool IF you make a choice with full awareness of what you're doing. I didn't see it as him doing it to be his father's tool or because he was weak, he was choosing to do it because it aligned with his own moral sensibilities, despite knowing full well that his father would look upon him as weak for doing it.

IOW, it was a sign of strength on some level for him to make that choice and wear his father's scorn, not weakness.

But I guess if you are extroverted, for you to make that same choice would have likely been a sign of weakness... of giving in and letting oneself be used.

But I just like the book Faramir much better. He did seem stronger, and more independent, and he also was a throwback to the High men of ancient lore, one of the few humans who truly had noble character in the story and a great constrast with his brother who could not resist the ring while he could choose to not take it. (It might have different if he had been a bearer like Frodo, and subject to the Ring's full power; but in the book he knew himself and his place in the world and had no use for the ring that made sense to him.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The extended versions padded out the character of Faramir much more. He came across far stronger in character. In fact the extended versions were far suprerior then the theatrical versions IMHO. Particularly for the second and third installments. I have trouble watching the theatrical versions now, and I'm a huge fan.
    I read LOTR at least once very couple of years...not so fussed on the hobbit, but have read all of Tolkien's middle earth books including the stuff edited by his son as well.
    However it was because I adored the first movie. I love the books, the scope of Tolkien's world is mind blowing, but the structure of the book is odd. I don't think a book editor these would let something like that pass these days. Not That I could write some thing of that scope.
    Even so, I'm just a tiny bit excited about the hobbit.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

You have GOT to be kidding me...!
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2725549.story

The Hobbit is now going to be three movies, not two.

... i guess they could smell the gravy train.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

You have GOT to be kidding me...!
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,2725549.story

The Hobbit is now going to be three movies, not two.

... i guess they could smell the gravy train.
    I. Know. Seriously. Three movies?!

I love Harry potter but I blame the last movie for this latest trend.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I. Know. Seriously. Three movies?!

I love Harry potter but I blame the last movie for this latest trend.
    To put it in perspective, freaking Lord of the Rings was three movies, and the book was zillions of times longer than The Hobbit.

I hates him. I hates him, my precious. Roast him alive and stew him in a pot; fry him, boil him and eat him hot!

Anew Leaf

To put it in perspective, freaking Lord of the Rings was three movies, and the book was zillions of times longer than The Hobbit.

I hates him. I hates him, my precious. Roast him alive and stew him in a pot; fry him, boil him and eat him hot!
    Hahahah I was thinking that too. Ugh. What I am most upset by is the fact that I know I will see all three and I shall impale myself with self hating delight upon each.

Ps. Here is the hobbit, saturned style.

Once upon a time there was a hobbit who went on an adventure. He got a ring, saw some elves, saw a dragon. The end.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm sure there will be a lot to enjoy but...The Hobbit is so lightweight compared to LOTR. Three movies? Two was more than enough. They are going to stretch it and change it so much. Hm. :S
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I'm sure there will be a lot to enjoy but...The Hobbit is so lightweight compared to LOTR. Three movies? Two was more than enough. They are going to stretch it and change it so much. Hm. :S
    Yup. Not only are they making up the Dol Gulder stuff, but they're adding things from the lord of the rings appendices (the content of which I am not sure, although it like includes Dol Guldor stuff).

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Stretch it? No. They are going to include every tiny detail in the book.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”