• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hobbit

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Darn! I wanted to see the different types of the characters:

Quick prompt:

Bilbo: ISfP
Gandalf: INtp

I have a thread about that in the Popular Culture and Type forum :)
PS: I disagree with those
Bilbo: ?SFJ some type of 9, 1 or 2 Sp/So
Gandalf: INTJ 5w4 or 9w1 So/Sx

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aragorn as depicted by Viggo was too soft, especially his voice and mannerisms if you take into account his initial Strider role.

Agreed that Sean Bean did an amazing job of Boromir and that Faramir was miscast hence appeared insipid.

agreed, wouldn't exactly call him weak, but Aragorn certainly did not have a very kingly presence. I hated Feramir too, the entire movie I just wanted to slap him.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
The singing gave me shivers, I'm glad they're including it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, Guillermo Del Toro at least stuck around to lend a hand in writing the screenplay. I love his work, save for Pan's Labyrinth, and he would've been an awesome choice for the director. His films typically have a Tim Burtonesque feel for them. No matter, I'm looking forward to his Pacific Rim.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow, Guillermo Del Toro at least stuck around to lend a hand in writing the screenplay. I love his work, save for Pan's Labyrinth, and he would've been an awesome choice for the director. His films typically have a Tim Burtonesque feel for them. No matter, I'm looking forward to his Pacific Rim.

What didn't you like about Pan's Labyrinth?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What didn't you like about Pan's Labyrinth?
I thought the fantasy aspect was kinda lame, though many of its concepts were later perfected in Hellboy 2. And the latter film was also in English, so I wasn't distracted by annoying subtitles.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought the fantasy aspect was kinda lame, though many of its concepts were later perfected in Hellboy 2. And the latter film was also in English, so I wasn't distracted by annoying subtitles.

I guess we have very different tastes. It's one of my favorite movies, and I didn't really like the Hellboys much (although I love the graphic novels), they seemed goofy to me in comparison to the tone of the original medium.

I also started out adverse to subtitles (typical American!), but after seeing that movie, and a few others that were subtitled, I now don't have an issue with them if the movie is good.

elfboy said:
agreed, wouldn't exactly call him weak, but Aragorn certainly did not have a very kingly presence. I hated Feramir too, the entire movie I just wanted to slap him.

I had trouble hating Faramir, because his father treated him so poorly. However, the movie kind of raped the character; he had originally been one of my favorite book characters, and I was disappointed by the movie treatment.

Because of my overall disappointment with LOTR, I'm not really that excited with the thought of The Hobbit. (If the cleansing of Dol Guldur becomes just one more "Gauntlet" video game bughunt using wizards for firepower, I'll be disgusted.) However, I'll have to watch the vid when I get home just to hear the music. I'm expecting to get more pleasure out of the next Star Trek and the next James Bond pics; if The Hobbit does better than the fourth Underworld movie (which I have bad suspicions about), I'll be pleased.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess we have very different tastes. It's one of my favorite movies, and I didn't really like the Hellboys much (although I love the graphic novels), they seemed goofy to me in comparison to the tone of the original medium.
I also started out adverse to subtitles (typical American!), but after seeing that movie, and a few others that were subtitled, I now don't have an issue with them if the movie is good.
I had trouble hating Faramir, because his father treated him so poorly. However, the movie kind of raped the character; he had originally been one of my favorite book characters, and I was disappointed by the movie treatment.
Because of my overall disappointment with LOTR, I'm not really that excited with the thought of The Hobbit. (If the cleansing of Dol Guldur becomes just one more "Gauntlet" video game bughunt using wizards for firepower, I'll be disgusted.) However, I'll have to watch the vid when I get home just to hear the music. I'm expecting to get more pleasure out of the next Star Trek and the next James Bond pics; if The Hobbit does better than the fourth Underworld movie (which I have bad suspicions about), I'll be pleased.

that made me dislike him more, not less. his actions were dictated by approval from others, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own life for a father who didn't care about him and saw him as a tool. he character was weak and pathetic (not as in story character, as in Feramir's character as a man) and I have no sympathy for people who throw their lives away
"If he'd rather die he'd better do it, and decrease the surplus population" Ebeneezer Scrooge (I actually don't believe that their is a surplus population, in fact high population leads to increased standard of living and greater opportunity for trade, business and innovation, but I have no sympathy for those who wish to throw their life away to win someone else's approval)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that made me dislike him more, not less. his actions were dictated by approval from others, even to the point of being willing to sacrifice his own life for a father who didn't care about him and saw him as a tool. he character was weak and pathetic (not as in story character, as in Feramir's character as a man) and I have no sympathy for people who throw their lives away

Ah. Yeah, that makes sense to me, based on your own personality. I didn't really anticipate that angle.

It didn't bother me as much because I have INP sensibilities -- the introverted way doesn't necessarily mean you're a tool IF you make a choice with full awareness of what you're doing. I didn't see it as him doing it to be his father's tool or because he was weak, he was choosing to do it because it aligned with his own moral sensibilities, despite knowing full well that his father would look upon him as weak for doing it.

IOW, it was a sign of strength on some level for him to make that choice and wear his father's scorn, not weakness.

But I guess if you are extroverted, for you to make that same choice would have likely been a sign of weakness... of giving in and letting oneself be used.

But I just like the book Faramir much better. He did seem stronger, and more independent, and he also was a throwback to the High men of ancient lore, one of the few humans who truly had noble character in the story and a great constrast with his brother who could not resist the ring while he could choose to not take it. (It might have different if he had been a bearer like Frodo, and subject to the Ring's full power; but in the book he knew himself and his place in the world and had no use for the ring that made sense to him.)

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The extended versions padded out the character of Faramir much more. He came across far stronger in character. In fact the extended versions were far suprerior then the theatrical versions IMHO. Particularly for the second and third installments. I have trouble watching the theatrical versions now, and I'm a huge fan.
I read LOTR at least once very couple of years...not so fussed on the hobbit, but have read all of Tolkien's middle earth books including the stuff edited by his son as well.
However it was because I adored the first movie. I love the books, the scope of Tolkien's world is mind blowing, but the structure of the book is odd. I don't think a book editor these would let something like that pass these days. Not That I could write some thing of that scope.
Even so, I'm just a tiny bit excited about the hobbit.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I. Know. Seriously. Three movies?!

I love Harry potter but I blame the last movie for this latest trend.

To put it in perspective, freaking Lord of the Rings was three movies, and the book was zillions of times longer than The Hobbit.

I hates him. I hates him, my precious. Roast him alive and stew him in a pot; fry him, boil him and eat him hot!

A

Anew Leaf

To put it in perspective, freaking Lord of the Rings was three movies, and the book was zillions of times longer than The Hobbit.

I hates him. I hates him, my precious. Roast him alive and stew him in a pot; fry him, boil him and eat him hot!

Hahahah I was thinking that too. Ugh. What I am most upset by is the fact that I know I will see all three and I shall impale myself with self hating delight upon each.

Ps. Here is the hobbit, saturned style.

Once upon a time there was a hobbit who went on an adventure. He got a ring, saw some elves, saw a dragon. The end.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm sure there will be a lot to enjoy but...The Hobbit is so lightweight compared to LOTR. Three movies? Two was more than enough. They are going to stretch it and change it so much. Hm. :S

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure there will be a lot to enjoy but...The Hobbit is so lightweight compared to LOTR. Three movies? Two was more than enough. They are going to stretch it and change it so much. Hm. :S

Yup. Not only are they making up the Dol Gulder stuff, but they're adding things from the lord of the rings appendices (the content of which I am not sure, although it like includes Dol Guldor stuff).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Stretch it? No. They are going to include every tiny detail in the book.