First 6141516

Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, I felt like the two-parter of Harry Potter was actually useful, and the movies actually rated pretty high on the critics list (especially the second, with the first one accepted as the setup for the second).

But I agree about Twilight. And I heard recently that they're breaking up the third hunger games book into two movies for a total of four movies for that series... lame. I didn't even think the first one was that memorable, and the books themselves get worse as they go.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I felt like the two-parter of Harry Potter was actually useful, and the movies actually rated pretty high on the critics list (especially the second, with the first one accepted as the setup for the second).

But I agree about Twilight. And I heard recently that they're breaking up the third hunger games book into two movies for a total of four movies for that series... lame. I didn't even think the first one was that memorable, and the books themselves get worse as they go.
    Harry Potter was the only one of these "split the book" deals that ever made sense. I almost wish they hadn't done it and created a subpar movie instead, since it would still have made oodles of money... But it wouldn't have encouraged the scourge known as Twilight to follow suit. Or the Hobbit... ugh.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    749 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

At least some one sees the trend here.

And I actually wasnt a fan of the Harry Potter movies.. period. I just watched them just cuz I was a fan of the books. I found movie 6 and 7 rather boring... yawn. I guess I am weird.
    "I am making a friendship application and 'Do you think JUNO (film) is awesome?' is a compulsory question..."
    ~A Malazan Fallen~
    DFTBA!

---

58% RightBrained
    sp/sx[so]
    IEE
    ENFp
    7w6 4w5 9w8 - 749 Magical Thinker
    x|O|tWx
    sceuI
    Dismissive-Avoidant

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Harry Potter was the only one of these "split the book" deals that ever made sense. I almost wish they hadn't done it and created a subpar movie instead, since it would still have made oodles of money... But it wouldn't have encouraged the scourge known as Twilight to follow suit. Or the Hobbit... ugh.
    "And now: Pat the Bunny, an 8-part sprawling epic in 3D and super-hi 96FPS resolution, with super smellovision, free popcorn, with an experience built into every chair! DON'T MISS IT! DON'T MISS ANY EIGHT PARTS OF IT!"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Just got back from seeing it.

Not a disappointment per se, but, uh...yeah. It pisses in the face of Tolkien. In fact, the only thing this movie really has going for it is the "Riddles In The Dark" sequence. Everything else was too drawn out. The Hobbit is a short story. There was no reason to extend this to three movies. It is an absolutely shameless cash grab and my respect for Jackson went out the window with that decision.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Travel to mountain, kill dragon, fight army of orcs, return home.
    What's so goddamn difficult about that? Two movie plot at most.

And WTF was up with that Radagast guy? He's the Jar Jar Binks of Middle-Earth.
    I hope some trolls find him and rip off his arms and leave him to die in a ditch somewhere.
    I generally agree with this. I saw it yesterday (yep... late to the game as usual), and unfortunately think it was a total waste of my money. Beyond it being mostly about stuff that wasn't even in the book (and that retarded white orc... arg), I don't think it was very well done. Too much of the drama factor, and I thought they were trying to tie it way too much to the LOTR movies, what with the same music, the same sequencing, etc. blah. I'm not going to spend money on the other two.

(I actually really really liked the LOTR movies, fwiw; with them, at least the artistic liberties taken were relatively minor in the grand scheme (imo). In this movie, it's like they threw out The Hobbit and asked their script-writers to come up with lots of made-up scenes to make it more 'dramatic', with, uh, yeah, you know, we have to do the mountain thing too, but that's not that important.... I just really disliked this one. Total sellout at this point- agree re. Jackson)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

I liked LOVED LOTR, too.
    That was before Jackson's ass fat went to his head.

Frankly, I've no desire to see the follow-ups.

Crap.