Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I saw The Hobbit last night at a late showing after spending 6 hours watching part of the original trilogy before hand with friends.

Overall, I didn't like it.

Some factors that contributed to this:

Things I DID like:

I will end up seeing the next two, simply because I have a group of friends to go with and that will be my big draw versus seeing the actual movie... Well, except that I reaLLY want to see the dragon.
    Considering this was my favorite book for many years, I guess it's natural that my expectations would be inflated. The fundamental problem is that it shouldn't be in three parts. That initial scene which is the most boring chapter in the whole book seemed to go on forever. It seemed like it was an hour long.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Interesting read:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/...inema-magical/

PS: I haven't seen the movie yet, and may not for a couple of weeks. Based on that article though, I think I'll see the 2d version first, and then the HFS 3D afterward for curiosity's sake.
    I really like 3d but it didn't work too well for this movie. It just felt blurry.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I enjoyed all of the exposition. And I thought that the tone was sufficiently different from LOTR...much less serious, but still with enough seriousness to sort of set up the importance of the connection between all of that lore + the dwarves' mission + the more serious events that eventually follow.

The only annoying thing was seeing Frodo again, but that's because every time I see him I kinda get the urge to punch him on his curly head.

Also, I didn't mind Radagast. The aesthetic that they gave to Rhosgobel was something that is rarely seen outside of fantasy video games, and I got the feeling that Peter Jackson regretted not being able to include Radagast's meeting with Gandalf in The Fellowship, so he rearranged things such that Radagast could conveniently fit in here, since they decided not to include the bit about Thrain being detained and tortured in Dol Goldur/Gandalf finding out about Dol Goldur himself.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Just got back from seeing it.

Not a disappointment per se, but, uh...yeah. It pisses in the face of Tolkien. In fact, the only thing this movie really has going for it is the "Riddles In The Dark" sequence. Everything else was too drawn out. The Hobbit is a short story. There was no reason to extend this to three movies. It is an absolutely shameless cash grab and my respect for Jackson went out the window with that decision.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Travel to mountain, kill dragon, fight army of orcs, return home.
    What's so goddamn difficult about that? Two movie plot at most.

And WTF was up with that Radagast guy? He's the Jar Jar Binks of Middle-Earth.
    I hope some trolls find him and rip off his arms and leave him to die in a ditch somewhere.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    ...he rearranged things such that Radagast could conveniently fit in here, since they decided not to include the bit about Thrain being detained and tortured in Dol Goldur/Gandalf finding out about Dol Goldur himself.
    Which is too bad, because I always thought stuff like that was eerily cool, such as Gandalf finding Thrain detained and getting the map/key from him. (Thrain had had one of the seven Rings, I think, but it was taken from him under torment.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTx

Saw it tonight, finally. Wanted to love it going in, but left only liking it.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Something else I forgot to mention:

Jackson wanted to play with his new digital toys and went full GEORGE LUCAS.
    Not only does Jackson completely undermine the integrity of one of the greatest stories ever told, he also misses the point.

Rule #1 of ANY adaptation: The ESSENCE of a tale MUST remain intact.

Like that dickcheese Nolan and his "Dark Knight Rises", the filmmaker gets too full of himself and tells the story HE wants to tell while removing the essence of the story.

This isn't a precursor to Lord of the Rings. When Tolkien penned this book, he didn't give a shit about the politics of the War of the Ring. Despite the obsessive detail, he didn't even seem to give too much of a shit about Middle-Earth for that matter. It was acceptable (even welcome) in Lord of the Rings because there was a lot at stake. It was immediately relevant to the plot. Here? Not so much. The extended "White Council" sequence was just...I don't know. It was like I was watching an episode of Deep Space Nine. I never much cared for that show.

Christ...Didn't Jackson watch The Phantom Menace? In that, we had Jedi Knights with lightsabers and we get a "political" drama about trade disputes. In The Hobbit, we have a motley crue of surly dwarves setting out on a fantastical journey to slay a goddamn dragon and reclaim their homeland. Now if that ain't an "epic" story, I don't know what is.

Brown wizards with hedgehogs and bunny sleds? Ancient ghouls with Morgul blades? Fuck it. Leave it for the extended edition.

The Hobbit is a children's book about self-discovery and personal worth. The world is a big place filled with wonder beyond our reckoning and we may not always fit in, but through adversity and will we'll prove ourselves. Was this even hinted at in An Unexpected Journey? Not really.

LOTR, on the other hand, was about the dynamics of war on a micro and macro level and how a soldier can never really return home once he has left. Jackson went against the Hollywood grain by including this theme at the finale of ROTK. People may bitch about the multiple endings, but it is the REASON the story exists. The spectacle may have overshadowed the idea, but it was still there nonetheless. And Jackson proved his worth as a filmmaker by refusing to eject it.

Well, there went that.

My point is...

...Was the character "Bilbo" even IN this movie?
    The question is not rhetorical.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Brilliant! I have zero complaints. If you're a true Tolkien lover, you'll love this film too. Had to bite my tongue at the end, as the sitting in front of me said she thought it "sucked."

Also, no 3D for me. And while I loved the entire cast, I thoroughly enjoyed watching Sir Ian!

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

The book was good, but not great. So two hour tv movie at best.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I enjoyed it. But ill admit some elements got on my nerves.

A certain line by the Goblin King
    annoyed me to no end...I just couldn't justify it's inclusion. Also the rabbit sled.....once again I wasn't sure, but it wasn't quite as bad as I had feared.

I understood why they did the troll scene the way they did and in fact the decision to put a bit of a fight in wasn't such a bad idea. I was a bit irritated by them changing how the trolls were delayed in cooking the dwarfs but....I suppose it worked in terms of the development of the Bilbo-Thorin love tension.

Also I disliked the overuse of CGI, which is such a cliche gripe, but applicable here. Why was Azog ENTIRELY CGI based exactly? He looked like an undercooked gingerbread man with scars on.

I also found that scene where he and Thorin finally have their face-off to be very cringe-worthy. Not to mention the music at that scene.....it just tries too hard. But this might have more to do with me struggling to get into the mood of the film this time round.

The 'Riddles In The Dark' scene was superb.

So overall: mixed feelings. I could go into much more detail on the changes to the story and dialogue, but since I actually understand and somewhat agree with why they did what they did, it wouldn't be much of a criticism.

After all you go from a story with almost too much detail, to one that is almost devoid of it and you will have to embellish a bit.

I'm extremely interested in how they will handle Smaug. In Tolkein's world dragons are highly intelligent creatures who don't really ally to anyone. They are a bit 'voice of Saruman' as well in their ability to mislead and employ double-speak. Not to mention hypnotise people, although this last point is somewhat questionable given that Tolkein's idea of magic is....quite subtle and he rarely directly mentions the term or even gives much description of spells apart from a few Gandalf employs.

But more importantly I am interested to see how they physically present him on screen....a shed-load of CGI would perhaps be a bit much for me, but a mixture could work. So far they have alluded to him well and handled it in a nicely mysterious way.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.