MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Interesting read:

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/...inema-magical/

PS: I haven't seen the movie yet, and may not for a couple of weeks. Based on that article though, I think I'll see the 2d version first, and then the HFS 3D afterward for curiosity's sake.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@Udog: Great article.

I didn't have nearly as bad a reaction to the 3D HiRes that he did, although I didn't do any comparison shopping at this point yet. But I think he raises a number of good points; and it's not just in regards to cinema, it filters over into art forms as we utilize more and more technology. I think the same kinds of arguments were being made when CDs and digital recording first popped on the market, compared to analog...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Attention NERDS!

Learn how to become an epically awesome gangster wizard player, lord of the rings style!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Interesting read:

PS: I haven't seen the movie yet, and may not for a couple of weeks. Based on that article though, I think I'll see the 2d version first, and then the HFS 3D afterward for curiosity's sake.
    From the article:
    One of my main problems with 3D has always been that the director (with the use of convergence) forces you to look in one specific spot – looking elsewhere in the frame can actually be painful to your eyes. When I see a 2D image I have the choice of where I can let my eye wander – and I find that relaxing and it allows me to get lost in the film much more quickly.
    EXACTLY. I knew I wasn't crazy.

I don't really have the ability to compare since I didn't see it in 2D, but everything he said rings true, other than that the 3D for me was the exact opposite of being immersive. Same sense of near-painful repulsion though. I might see the next movie and 2D and see if there's a noticeable difference.

Not sure whether I saw the HFR version or not. Whatever the default IMAX 3D is, I guess - the tickets didn't specify.
    -end of thread-

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Interesting read:

Great article!! I may see it in two d now and see if I like it better

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't do 3D. I always leave with a headache.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I didn't have nearly as bad a reaction to the 3D HiRes that he did, although I didn't do any comparison shopping at this point yet. But I think he raises a number of good points; and it's not just in regards to cinema, it filters over into art forms as we utilize more and more technology. I think the same kinds of arguments were being made when CDs and digital recording first popped on the market, compared to analog...
    Ah, good point. New technology tends to have a gimmicky element to it when it's first applied to art. Eventually, people begin to figure out how to make the technology serve the story, but usually, it's the opposite way around at first.

One exception that I always found to be interesting was Computer Animated movies. The early ones, like Toy Story and Shrek, were significantly better than the traditionally animated movies at the time. It actually took quite some time before the first true stinker was released. My guess on that is simply that they had to be. When it takes 24 hours of computer processing time to render a single frame, not counting the work required to create the models/animations/textures/etc, you better make sure that frame is worth rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Not sure whether I saw the HFR version or not. Whatever the default IMAX 3D is, I guess - the tickets didn't specify.
    Pretty sure IMAX theaters are playing the HF 3D version.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    Great article!! I may see it in two d now and see if I like it better
    Yeah. It sounds like the 2D makes for the better movie, while the HR 3D version makes for a neat technological oddity.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Interesting/fun to read everyone's comments now that I've seen it (in 2D...wasn't interested in 3D, knew I'd find it distracting at best).

I'd give it about 3 out of 5 stars; in some ways 3.5 or even 4, in other ways 2 or 2.5. Way too drawn out and a lot of the battle/action stuff looked like video games... I felt they over-used CGI, which was also one of my criticisms of the Star Wars prequels (which I didn't hate nearly as much as some people did.) But the LOTR films looked much more historical/real to me, on the whole.

A lot of it felt badly paced/stretched. And Radagast...oh man...he is like the Jar Jar Binks of this franchise now. That whole sequence (rabbit sled!!) was really lame.

But. I generally liked the dwarves, though I wasn't sure it was appropriate for at least two of them to be, well, pretty hot. I still adore Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman as Bilbo was generally excellent and the Riddles sequence was great. Loved Gollum. I thought the most moving moment was definitely when Bilbo decided not to kill Gollum. I didn't find overall it moved me emotionally that much though, not like the LOTR films. But to be honest, I preferred all of those films the second or third time around, maybe I was in critical mode the first time. Might be the case with this too.

I think @Jennifer said it seemed like LOTR lite in some ways. I would definitely agree with that overall. And really the Hobbit is a very different type of book, and I think they mostly missed that in terms of tone/atmosphere. It felt more like...sophisticated out-takes from LOTR, in a lot of ways. And too many bits which were basically direct rehashes of LOTR.

But I'll have to see how I feel when I see it again, whether that's in the cinema or on DVD. Despite all those criticism I enjoyed it overall. Oh, it was nice to see Frodo/Elijah Wood, too. He looked great!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Just to add: in one way it felt totally utterly different from LOTR. When I watched the first LOTR film I was like...ok, I can understand they dropped Tom Bombadil etc (though I always liked those sections), but it felt SO fast and compressed. It was like, bam bam bam they're out of the Shire, bam they're in Bree and meet Aragorn, etc. Perhaps here and there, there were sequences that felt protracted (some of the battles were just too long) but overall, fast-paced, if anything, I felt they left a lot out...perhaps sometimes that was better for the pacing.

Whereas this, knowing that the book is so much shorter (though tbh I don't know the Hobbit as well as LOTR, haven't read it as many times and not as recently - though I used to know it quite well) it felt SO stretched in a lot of ways.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Attention NERDS!

Learn how to become an epically awesome gangster wizard player, lord of the rings style!

Damn it! I'll never look at Gandalf in the same way again!
    Great men are like eagles, and build their nest on some lofty solitude.

Schopenhauer