Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    WTF? Critics are on crack. I thought it was pretty amazing.
    Yeah, I can only guess a lot of the bitching was just backlash from the overhype of LotR. I'd give a positive over all despite any criticisms I had.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I would watch Martin Freeman pick his nose for three hours, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    There's that. My two girls were discussing all the likely 'ships before we even left the theater. Thank God it seemed to sail over my mom's head.

I drove five of us 30 miles to see the movie for $3/ticket. It wasn't 3D or anything. I wouldn't have minded seeing it in 3D and may still if I get the chance, but it's just too close to Christmas for the expense.

Overall I liked it. I was a bit disappointed that they tried to make it into some kind of overarching epic tale when it really isn't, IMO. I thought some of the costumes were over the top. How can anyone maintain those crazy beard and hairstyles when they're camping and being rained on all the time?

Stil, I look forward to seeing the second and third parts.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

You know, the strange thing with Peter Jackson's fetish for three-hour movies is that I was never bothered by the length and drawn-out-ness of King Kong. (The only problem I had with that movie was Weta Digital's reputation for poor compositing.) The first Lord of the Rings was probably his worst example, not necessarily because it was long and boring, but because the "ending" really pissed me off (there was not even an exciting climax to close up the film), The Hobbit at least had the decency to give itself some sort of closure in addition to the cliffhanger.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You know, picking your nose is ANOTHER bad hobbit to have.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    You know, the strange thing with Peter Jackson's fetish for three-hour movies is that I was never bothered by the length and drawn-out-ness of King Kong. (The only problem I had with that movie was Weta Digital's reputation for poor compositing.)
    Kong is probably my favorite Jackson picture. It was perfect for him too -- most of the "creepy" stuff actually fit the tone of the picture, I thought the score actually added some transcendent magic/depth to the movie, and the original source was thin to begin with -- he could layer in whatever he wanted and make it his own, without clashing with any of the source.

The running time didn't bother me either. I watch the expanded version.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so

k so The Hobbit was the first book i absolutely fell in love with as a child when my dad read it to me when i was like 5 so i have serious feels about this ok so this isn't a calm and unbiased view, but uh, sorry not sorry lol [Slight Disclaimer: it should probably not be taken super-seriously however, as i'll admit am an outrageous perfectionist when it comes to films, even moreso when theyre adaptations of books, & have little patience for directorial misjudgements (in tone, portrayal of key scenes, plot sequencing etc.)]

and wow. [imo/coming from that perspective] the film was CRAP. i do not know what i was expecting but i did not expect it to be THAT BAD ahahaha it was such a fail

y did Jackson try to make it epic like LotR was epic it was NEVER GOING TO WORK, The Hobbit is a little story and that is its charm and its brilliance ok it is NOT about Thorins angst about his dead ancestors OR about foreshadowing LotR IT IS ABOUT BILBO AND ABOUT THE BRILLIANCE OF THE INDIVIDUAL SEQUENCES (the dwarves' arrival at Bilbo's, the trolls, Bilbo & Gollum &the exchange of riddles, climbing trees to escape the orcs &then setting it on fire &then the eagles, Murkwood, etc: the first two of these were quite good, the - more important - riddles and forest-fire scenes were poorly focused, the action poorly directed, and the enchanting, almost hypnotic atmosphere of the orginal scenes consequently lost altogether)

>Martin Freeman's a good actor, for sure; but the thing about him is that he's a very naturalistic actor. unlike EVERYONE else involved in this film. and so, set against them, not to MENTION against Jackson's ridiculously overblown direction, his understated performance, & his Bilbo's very English combination of common-sense, a certain dryness, & an ironical self-depreciation, had the unfortunate side-effect of undercutting the attempted "epicness" of everything around him, so it all just looked a bit over-the-top &rather hammy. multiple time this had me laughing out loud - but laughing AT the rest of the film, which is probably not the response Jackson was hoping for.

>YYYYY did Jackson MAKE IT SO. SLOW. PACED I THINK I NEARLY DIED OF BOREDOM WHEN IT WAS LIKE HOURS IN AND THEYD ONLY JUST GOT TO RIVENDELL OH MY GOD
    >WHAT WAS THAT SHIT WITH RADAGAST Y DID U ADD THAT IN THAT CONTRIBUTED LITERALLY NOTHING TO THE FILM. TOLKEIN NEEDS EDITING, NOT ADDING TO. I THOUGHT U GOT THAT WITH LOTR BUT APPARENTLY NO....oh no wait that's right youre just spinning it out needlessly so u can milk the LotR franchise for all it's worth and rake in more money for yourself & the studios, sorry, i forgot.

>WHY did they keep playing that fucking terrible sentimental music over like SO MANY SCENES. seriously, there were so many moments when the acting would have been engaging IF NOT FOR THAT DAMN MUSIC; eg, that scene where Bilbo's deciding whether to stay/leave the company, there would have been a sense of tension and uncertainty if Jackson just fucking LET US CONCENTRATE ON THE PERFORMANCES, BUT NOPE, HE DECIDES IT NEEDS THAT SHITTY SENTIMENTAL THEME OVER THE TOP. WAY TO MAKE THE ENTIRE MOVIE EMOTIONALLY ONE-DIMENSIONAL.

>...&srsly, were u actually STRIVING for self-parody or something??? like that moment in the mines when the dwarves&Gandalf were not only successfully fighting off about 3 billion goblins but then the bridge-thing they were standing on broke&they ACTUALLY ALL PLUMMETED HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF FEET AND LANDED ON THE STONE FLOOR of the crevasse/whateveritwas AND THEY WERE ALL. STILL. ALIVE LOLWHAT. WELL, LOOKS LIKE I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE DWARVES ANYMORE BC JACKSON HAS APPARENTLY MADE THEM IMMORTAL JOLLY GOOD

>AND THT BIT AT THE END WHERE IT CUT BETWEEN SHOTS OF THORIN &THE PALE-ORC-DUDE FOR LIKE RIDICULOUSLY LONG. YES WE GET THAT THEY ARE LOOKING AT EACH OTHER and then how he tried to make Thorin walking along the tree-trunk all epic when it just wasnt, AND that little string of dwarves were clinging onto the tree for forever & jst handily none of them fell ..&the whole sequence was jst so ridiculous i legit actually collapsed in my seat in hysterics

>also can i just say, why at the end were they actually standing on Pride Rock i mean srsly, that's like Simba's palace balcony man have some respect

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, that was among some of my complaints, with the action sequences -- it was like LotR Lite. You know, we get more combat with badass orcs like with the Urakhai in Fellowship of the Ring, and another Mines of Moria-esque scene (although the fighting was kind of interesting and had some neat prop tricks), etc. A bunch of that stuff. I felt like I had seen a lot of the movie before, but I forced myself to step back and judge it on its own merits as if I had not seen the other movies.

Jackson did try to give Bilbo more influence in some of the outcomes that he did not get in the Hobbit (like with the trolls) but it came off as a bit forced to me. yet without that, the movie quickly became "The Dwarves" rather than "The Hobbit." It reminds me faintly of a far worse movie, the third Batman movie, where Tommy Lee Jones (normally a decent actor) was forced to make Two-Face completely over the top and play him for insane laughs because otherwise he would have been invisible compared to Jim Carrey, who was just chewing up scenery as The Riddler; in this case, I enjoyed the scenes where Bilbo was alone because his understated performance was given room to grow, rather than being overshadowed by the dwarves who naturally were more vocal and overstated.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I just finished watching the trilogy for the first time, so I can't wait to watch this ten years from now!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My 17-year-old INTP kid texted me his review of the Hobbit this afternoon:

Honestly, I didn't mind a lot of the "extra" stuff they added. The movie was freaking long though, and that scene with the goblins in the mountain was ridiculous. Way too overdone. And gollum was more funny than scary. Thorin's fight with the white orc at the end was kinda unneeded. I did like it overall.

There were way too many references to Lord of the Rings. It wasn't its own story.