User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

Thread: The Hobbit

Anew Leaf

I saw The Hobbit last night at a late showing after spending 6 hours watching part of the original trilogy before hand with friends.

Overall, I didn't like it.

Some factors that contributed to this:

Things I DID like:

I will end up seeing the next two, simply because I have a group of friends to go with and that will be my big draw versus seeing the actual movie... Well, except that I reaLLY want to see the dragon.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This movie reinforced that I will never again see a 3D movie if I can help it. It was an accident this time (pre-arranged tickets, which apparently you can only get in 3d), or I wouldn't have gone. A whole movie of awful blurriness (HD IMAX my ass) with the glasses getting more and more greasy and painful, completely distracting me from the movie.....blehh. And completely, utterly unnecessary too. I was FAR more "immersed" in the LOTR movies because they didn't try to distract you with shit like sparks in 3D for no reason. Gimmicky.

The actual movie was ok, it was hard to really get interested in it but I'm not sure if that was because it was so drawn out or because of the 3D, or both. I might download the other 2 movies, but doubt I'll see them in theatre. I was really disappointed that I spent 17$ on it, although I know that was my dumb mistake for accidentally going to the 3D - I'm sure it would have been much better without it. Also thought there were a lot of cheesy moments that could have been done better (goblin king, "NOOOOOO", etc).

On the plus side, I loved the star trek trailer and will definitely be seeing that (in non-3d, of course).
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This movie reinforced that I will never again see a 3D movie if I can help it. It was an accident this time (pre-arranged tickets, which apparently you can only get in 3d), or I wouldn't have gone. A whole movie of awful blurriness (HD IMAX my ass) with the glasses getting more and more greasy and painful, completely distracting me from the movie.....blehh. And completely, utterly unnecessary too. I was FAR more "immersed" in the LOTR movies because they didn't try to distract you with shit like sparks in 3D for no reason. Gimmicky.
    I think it's funny how people are having entirely different reactions to 3D and the Hi-Res. I actually thought the 3D in this movie was much better than the 3D in some other movies, like Harry Potter, where it kind of washed out the entire picture brightness-wise, and I enjoyed it here. I also didn't mind hi-Res at all after the Smaug scene, where the lighting made everything look fake.

I wonder why that is. I know I don't naturally focus on detail, I'm focusing on the overall picture, and I had to force myself to look at detail in the movie consciously, just to take advantage of it. I wonder if you naturally focus on detail and so it can be distracting.

The actual movie was ok, it was hard to really get interested in it but I'm not sure if that was because it was so drawn out or because of the 3D, or both. I might download the other 2 movies, but doubt I'll see them in theatre. I was really disappointed that I spent 17$ on it, although I know that was my dumb mistake for accidentally going to the 3D - I'm sure it would have been much better without it. Also thought there were a lot of cheesy moments that could have been done better (goblin king, "NOOOOOO", etc).
    Where did you end up seeing it at? (What city?)

I paid $14 in Columbia, MD, USA.

On the plus side, I loved the star trek trailer and will definitely be seeing that (in non-3d, of course).
    I'm pretty excited about ST.

@Saturned: You forgot the dwarf with the axe sticking out of his head!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think it's funny how people are having entirely different reactions to 3D and the Hi-Res. I actually thought the 3D in this movie was much better than the 3D in some other movies, like Harry Potter, where it kind of washed out the entire picture brightness-wise, and I enjoyed it here. I also didn't mind hi-Res at all after the Smaug scene, where the lighting made everything look fake.

I wonder why that is. I know I don't naturally focus on detail, I'm focusing on the overall picture, and I had to force myself to look at detail in the movie consciously, just to take advantage of it. I wonder if you naturally focus on detail and so it can be distracting.
    The only movie I liked it in was Avatar, and that was probably partially because it was new, partially because it tied in with the story line ("virtual reality" etc) and partially because it seemed "real" in a way that no other movie has done since. I really resent that they only make one thing non-blurry (the thing they want you to focus on) and even that isn't as clear as a normal movie. But if you want to look at anything other than the main person's eyes or something, you're completely SOL. I'm not sure that it's a focusing on details thing because the whole movie looks blurry to me which is annoying in the days of high def everything. It might be different if I were more used to watching TV with shittier graphics, but I never really watched much TV or movies before high def came out (still don't, but I guess it's become something I'm used to now).

Where did you end up seeing it at? (What city?)

I paid $14 in Columbia, MD, USA.
    Oh, everything's more expensive here, even with the equal dollar (mind you, not having to pay for health insurance more than makes up for it). I saw it in Ottawa. Normal non-imax 3D movies are more like 10-12$ though.

And I had no idea one of the dwarves had an axe in his head? wtf? Must have been one of the ones in the blurry background....
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

1. I wouldn't wish "Becoming the next George Lucas" on anyone.
    2. The Lovely Bones was a shame -- it was beautifully rendered in terms of cinematography but flawed.

1. Well, I wasn't wishing it...just making an observation.
    2. The Lovely Bones was more interesting when it didn't follow the girl in her Super Mario Galaxy afterlife (which just seemed to be an excuse to show off CGI), although it's been a while since I saw it. I seem to recall the heaven sequences being the most lifeless parts of the movie (heh heh).
      1. Another part about The Lovely Bones that I remember is when

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The only movie I liked it in was Avatar, and that was probably partially because it was new, partially because it tied in with the story line ("virtual reality" etc) and partially because it seemed "real" in a way that no other movie has done since. I really resent that they only make one thing non-blurry (the thing they want you to focus on) and even that isn't as clear as a normal movie. But if you want to look at anything other than the main person's eyes or something, you're completely SOL. I'm not sure that it's a focusing on details thing because the whole movie looks blurry to me which is annoying in the days of high def everything. It might be different if I were more used to watching TV with shittier graphics, but I never really watched much TV or movies before high def came out (still don't, but I guess it's become something I'm used to now).
    You clearly haven't seen Life of Pi or Hugo in 3D, have you?

Anew Leaf

@Jennifer... I totally missed that guy.

I also forgot a few bits in my "didn't like" pile:

Something I DID like:

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The whole Radagast thing, I figured people would either be fine with or have big problems with.

I'll have to say in the book Radagast isn't discussed much. Saruman has contempt for him; Gandalf seems himself as good-natured and confers with him, but doesn't really depend on him or expect him to help. Radagast comes off as ISFP in the text, I think, and is more wrapped up in the daily plight of nature (it seems) rather than the overall fate of middle Earth. It's not really clear how Tolkien feels about him; the Istari were Maiar specifically sent to Middle Earth by the Valar to inspire and encourage the inhabitants to resist evil and Sauron; they were not supposed to dominate men or wield power to accomplish their goals (a rule that Saruman broke and eventually was cast out of the Order).

All that is to say I'm not even sure if Radagast accomplished his purpose for being sent to Middle-Earth. He wasn't malevolent, but was kind of irrelevant.

It's been awhile since I've read through the histories, but I don't recall the appearance of the Nine being "triggered" by a specific event. It's more that Sauron's slow regain of power finally allowed the reappearance of the Nine as well; after all, their power (based on the Rings) derives from Sauron. It was more that the powerful denizens of Middle-earth realized the Nine were abroad again, as the Riders.

@The Ü: For the spoiler, that part's right out of the book. So they probably just ripped it straight out.

Hugo was wonderful in 3D.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    You clearly haven't seen Life of Pi or Hugo in 3D, have you?
    No, and I don't plan to. I liked the Life of Pi book though, if the movie's decent I might see it in non-3D.
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

@The Ü: For the spoiler, that part's right out of the book. So they probably just ripped it straight out.
    From what I've heard, the book is about as sloppy as the movie.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

WTF? Critics are on crack. I thought it was pretty amazing.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness