User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: The Hobbit

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Just saw it. LOVED IT!! It dragged a bit here and there but otherwise I thought it was a very good movie, very much looking forward to the next two films
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, I saw this in Hi-Res IMAX today at the Columbia AMC.

I bought the tickets in advance and was frustrated that it took me about 15 minutes to find a parking space in the mall area, apparently the entire world took off today to shop at the Columbia Mall, and about ten times I was the SECOND vehicle in line for a particular spot someone was pulling out of. DOH!
    You ain't kidding. That parking lot is Hell on Earth--I don't even want to know what it is like during a Holiday/Major Release. Still worth it--AMC is my favorite theater in the area.

Eventually, I'm going to see it mostly for the Star Trek: British-guy-who-ain't-really-Khan-references-Moby Dick teaser. 3 hour long segments of Hobbits and fairies walking around quit being cool by 2003 as far as I'm concerned.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    You ain't kidding. That parking lot is Hell on Earth--I don't even want to know what it is like during a Holiday/Major Release. Still worth it--AMC is my favorite theater in the area.
    There is a reason why I still drive down there after moving up to Catonsville. I'm not about to go to the Security Mall theater, for example, and Arundel's (Egyptian 24, I think) a bit of a hike and lots of people, and the other Columbia theater (I think it's a UA/Regal) sucks. I do hope to get back to the inner harbor one at some point, though.

Ironically, I only found a spot as soon as I tried to actually park in front of the theater, the huge lot where Uno and Cheesecake factory and the AMC is. I figured that would be the last place I'd get a spot, but finally someone pulled out in the second row as I was going up. Woo hoo! And it was the crappy Nordstrom lots and surrounding lots that sucked. like I said, wth was the Nordstrom lot doing being full at 2pm on a Friday afternoon while everyone's still at school/work? Yeesh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Bifur (on the right) confirmed for god tier.
    Hilariously, I didn't even notice he had that axe blade sticking out of head during the movie. DOH.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

How do I describe this movie? In five words: WAY TOO FUCKING DRAWN OUT.

I understood why they drew the original trilogy out (the books were long), but The Hobbit was one book and only a fraction of the size of any one of the three LOTR books. At least an hour and a half of The Hobbit seemed like needless filler to stretch it into another trilogy, three hours each, to milk money from.

The production values remain impressive. The time between 2001-2003 and now has allowed the vfx technology to be perfected, but there really isn't a feel of newness in the fx work, art direction, or cinematography -- everything is just more detailed, but not particularly exciting. At least the Star Wars prequels, while abusing the technology, made the audience feel, "This is something I've never seen before."

Speaking of which, I see Peter Jackson becoming the next George Lucas, and The Hobbit is his prequel trilogy. But at least it wasn't The Lovely Bones.

And I would've rather seen the Pacific Rim trailer again than the Star Trek Into Darkness trailer. Guillermo Del Toro is such a bad-ass, except for Pan's Labyrinth and his share of the writing credits for The Hobbit.

I thought it was pure win. I don't think I saw it in 48 fps 3D as the 3D in my view was slightly inferior to Avatars, it lacked a certain refinement though as the movie went on this became far less of a concern. However I care more about the story to be honest and it majorly excelled in that department. Plus the epicness really hammered the movie into my skull. "Just like old times!" was what I remembered the most when watching it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    How do I describe this movie? In five words: WAY TOO FUCKING DRAWN OUT.

I understood why they drew the original trilogy out (the books were long), but The Hobbit was one book and only a fraction of the size of any one of the three LOTR books. At least an hour and a half of The Hobbit seemed like needless filler to stretch it into another trilogy, three hours each, to milk money from.

The production values remain impressive. The time between 2001-2003 and now has allowed the vfx technology to be perfected, but there really isn't a feel of newness in the fx work, art direction, or cinematography -- everything is just more detailed, but not particularly exciting. At least the Star Wars prequels, while abusing the technology, made the audience feel, "This is something I've never seen before."

Speaking of which, I see Peter Jackson becoming the next George Lucas, and The Hobbit is his prequel trilogy. But at least it wasn't The Lovely Bones.

And I would've rather seen the Pacific Rim trailer again than the Star Trek Into Darkness trailer. Guillermo Del Toro is such a bad-ass, except for Pan's Labyrinth and his share of the writing credits for The Hobbit.
    I agree with the gist of your review -- it's horrendously padded.

But I have to say:
    1. I wouldn't wish "Becoming the next George Lucas" on anyone.
    2. The Lovely Bones was a shame -- it was beautifully rendered in terms of cinematography but flawed.
    3. It's funny, the only movie of Toro's I actually liked enough to rewatch (over and over) was PL, and it's on my Top Ten Movie list of all time.

I'd like to see the P.R. trailer.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

For some strange reason when I saw that movie Gandalf reminded me of a user on here named Zang (he only comes out of his hobbit-hole on Ventrilo).

It must be the insane philosophical wisdom they both supposedly posess as well as the INTJ 1 typing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Saw it yesterday. Yes, it's padded. But it's padded with material from Silmarillion that is relevant to the Rings trilogy. I have a hard time getting too upset about that. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. It helps that I love me some Martin Freeman.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I love the irony of the two BBC Sherlock stars being spun around and on opposite sides in this movie.