• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interesting Art/Artists - Any Ideas?

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ok.....
I am trying to buy art for my home - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, office, hall. I have spent hours looking, but can't find much I like. I don't know a whole lot about art.....

I like abstract, modern, etc., but it can be something totally different from that.
I don't want to spend too much money, but maybe a little.
:shrug::unsure:
In other words, I have no idea what I want until I see it.... :D

Anyone have any interesting favorite artists or art? Or good places to browse and buy art?

Who are your favorite artists and what are your favorite works of art? (Pics would be nice to see. :D )

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love Marc Chagall - he was a cubist painter, lots of color, and technically he worked during the literary Modern period, so yes it would the right time frame.

"Paris Through the Window" is one of my personal favorites, but you might want to peruse his art to see if there's something you like better.

1913_chagall_paris.jpg

I do not like abstract art at all, so I'm not much help there. I do like pop art, though, and I like Andy Warhols images of Edie Sedgwick, I think she was visually interesting.

50258_42505325945_4895183_n.jpg

edie_sedgwick.jpg

Man Ray is someone who did interesting photography in the 20's and 30's...

tumblr_kshcjyZkWe1qa5h7no1_400.jpg

man-ray-4.jpg

You might like Fernand Khnopff (I do!):

fernand-khnopff-jeanne-ke.jpg

8.jpg

Fernand_Khnopff_-_I_lock_my_door_upon_myself.jpg

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
TY Marm! I'm gonna check out some more of each tonight.......
I like pop art too...... :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm a big weirdo and also love perspective shots of things like train tracks and hotel hallways. The Shining and The Wall both have good scenes representing hotel hallway perspective. I would litter my walls with film stills if I could afford it, probably.

Nicodemus

Collect garbage, clean it and pin it on your walls.

I once had my apartment wallpapered with newspapers. That looked good.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm not huge into abstract art, though I'd be lying if I said I hated it, but I do like how abstract photography of nature can get--it can almost look like something else entirely.

barry-tuchman.jpg

1213035228ZX4QDGU.jpg

Deviantart is a place where artists can post their photography, drawings, etc. and a lot of them sell prints of their work. I'm sure you'd be able to find an artist willing to print something larger if you liked it.

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=abstract+nature

This was a quick search I did, it came up with a lot of really awesome results. You could probably find some abstract pop painting as well.

mavericknm

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Don't have a place I can properly call my own yet. However, when the time comes, I figure I'll cyber stalk some art university students' blogs and find someone's style I like and then commission a half dozen sketches for a thousand bucks or less. I figure that's a cheap way to get some authentic decent quality art that has some meaning to you.

Omission1234

I loveeee art and abstract art !!!!!! alrightyyy here are some of my recent favorites :D

Thomas Hooper: Tattoo artist and painter/ just amazing all around artist!!
thomas_hooper_deadsun.jpg

mandala-sleeve-thomas-hooper-003-october-18-2011.jpg

Oleg Korolev: Amazing Russian abstract and surrealist painter!

THE_ILLUSORY_FISH_by_KorolevOleg.jpg

1257107397.jpg

Alsoooo tumblr and flickr are greatttt for new artists and just some amazing stuff ( they are super addictive! but wonderful)

Omission1234

alsoooo
Zao Wou Ki he is a french/chinese painter and amazing and super duper famous and just a wowwww ( also he rocks a mean cardigan and seems cool to chat with)

101632zaonwou-ki.jpg

zao-wou-ki-1-b7903.jpg

alsooo
Hans Hartung

03-Timothy-Taylor-Gallery,-Hans-Hartung,T1989-U11.jpg

lithographie-estampe-originale-hans-hartung-03_460.jpg

Veselina Tomova
is on exhibit here in st.johns and I really like her stuff :D heres a link to the site for the gallery

http://www.redochregallery.ca/v_tomova1.html

I almost forgot

Norman Bluhm
2s5y980.jpg

anddd

Veronique Meignaud from Montreal
beacreature_veroniqueMeignaud-734147.jpg

Alex Grey

AlexGrey_sepharic.jpg

also and not new Salvador Dali

salvador_dali_elephants_postcard_1.jpg

and last one for now
Alphonse Mucha

mucha_moet.jpg

there are soo many more tooo love this thread

Turtledove

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps you can find a Jackson Pollock print somewhere to help match your room(s) of some sorts. His art was very abstract...and crazy. He did some paintings when he was drunk and made all these crazy swirls of paint on the canvas. They are interesting. http://www.jacksonpollock.com/

Ingrid in grids

Since a lot of you seem to like abstract art, you might want to check out Australian artist Dale Frank. Besides the crazy titles he gives many of his works, the seemingly uncontrolled chaos of his work is by no means unplanned, or even uncontrolled. I think I read somewhere that he can spend one month preparing a work. The titles seem to still come directly from the works. You can see the titles.

"No matter how little he ate he always remained persistently bloated." 2010
012.jpg

"His chest had sagged over the intervening thirty years to become a twenty year woman?s boobs and the increasing size of his nipples did nothing to alleviate my being taken aback." 2011
_BLK2667.jpg

"He was able to speak and I had listened to him speak for over two hours on the importance and intricacies of Bowie’s Low." 2011
_BLK2656.jpg

"He would always hit on the other young men only after making them share his so called special imported Jamaican marijuana." 2011
_BLK2655.jpg

I just picked a few from his 2011 exhibition WACKY DUCK FLUFFY TOM, but you can find many more of his works here.

Ingrid in grids

Another artist I haven't checked up on in a while is (another) Australian photographer, Darren Sylvester. Check him out here. All images are much more impressive in their real size.

"If All We Have Is Eachother, That's OK." 2003.
260105113218.jpg

"The Explanation Is Boring. It's Simple. I Don't Care." 2006.
280306114446.jpg

"Just Death Is True." 2006.
30409113439.jpg

Ingrid in grids

Ok.....
I am trying to buy art for my home - bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, living room, office, hall. I have spent hours looking, but can't find much I like. I don't know a whole lot about art.....

I like abstract, modern, etc., but it can be something totally different from that.
I don't want to spend too much money, but maybe a little.
:shrug::unsure:
In other words, I have no idea what I want until I see it.... :D

Anyone have any interesting favorite artists or art? Or good places to browse and buy art?

Who are your favorite artists and what are your favorite works of art? (Pics would be nice to see. :D )

If you're buying art for the home, the best places to start would be local commercial galleries. You might also want to check out some of the original art and prints on etsy.