User Tag List

View Poll Results: Annoying or not?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not. I'm not a customer of netflix anyways, I just wanted to vote.

4 18.18%
  • Not. I think it's a reasonable request.

7 31.82%
  • I think it'd be reasonable if they improved streaming.

11 50.00%
  • Why not limited DVD rentals for streaming clients so they don't have to purchase DVD plans?

4 18.18%
  • I think they're being greedy and I don't like it.

0 0%
  • I AM TOTALLY OUTRAGED/MILDLY ANNOYED FOR REAL.

1 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Policy Change in Netflix

Is anyone else annoyed by this?

Policy change summary:
    Used to be: $9.99 for unlimited DVD rentals and streaming
    Now: $16.something for DVDs and streaming. Nearly double the price tag. Its no longer "It's about the cost of a meal at Mcdonalds!" worthy.

Some article from teh internets describing how cheapsakes like me everywhere are pissed:

Yesterday, Netflix announced that they will be separating DVDs by mail and streaming into two separate plans rather than offering plans that provide both services. As usual, unhappy customers took to social media to air their grievances.

Previously, for $9.99/month, you could get unlimited DVDs by mail (one at a time) and unlimited streaming from a computer or streaming enabled device. There was also a streaming-only plan for $7.99/month. Once the two services are separated, the unlimited streaming plan and the unlimited DVDs by mail plan will each be $7.99/month.

Netflix explained in their blog that “When we launched our $7.99 unlimited streaming plan, DVDs by mail was treated as a $2 add on to our unlimited streaming plan.” But because of the continuing demand for DVDs by mail, they have decided to offer DVD-only plans.

Customers of Netflix have been taking to Twitter, Facebook, and the Netflix blog to express their opinions about the changes, and almost all of the feedback is negative, to say the least. One day later, there are over 38,000 comments on the status update on Netflix’s Facebook page announcing the change. On Twitter, ‘Dear Netflix’ is still trending. There are almost 8,000 comments on the blog post announcing the change.

One reason customers are so surprised and outraged is because Netflix used to be known for customer loyalty and satisfaction. But this move has turned many customers against them. A lot of people understand the reasoning, but don’t want to choose between a DVD plan and a streaming plan. With only a fraction of their titles available for streaming, most people don’t want that service. What happens when a movie you want to see is only available on DVD? If Netflix improves their streaming library, people might be more accepting of the change. Until then, the social campaign to cancel Netflix lives on.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's because of all the damage to DVDs and lost DVDs.

They want to move entirely to streaming, I think.

I would be happy to just have streaming with them as long as they keep their selection varied, because I'm extremely pleased with all of the foreign and underground films I was able to watch on streaming...like last winter I watched like four of the best Russian films released internationally within the past few years on Netflix streaming. They also have a great selection of black comedies and American independent films, not to mention great old BBC shows like Fawlty Towers.

My only complaint is their streaming horror selection, it reeks.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Craptastic.

*pissed*

You can best believe that they separated the two to prep for a future increase in the streaming price. TV's now come with ready-to-stream netflix apps on them.

I don't mind this as long as they substantially improve their streaming selection, like seriously, and maybe offered a cheaper DVD plan.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Doesn't bother me. I'll just switch to streaming only and torrent the rest.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

P.S. I think the "outraged" option is kind of comical and unreasonble. This is a private business, not the government, they don't owe anyone anything. I used to feel like it was an ubelievable steal to watch so may quality films on demand back to back on my laptop. Usually if you purchase individual, on-demand films through digital cable it costs A LOT MORE.

The DVD option really is best for brand new films, and that's because the film production companies aren't going to give away brand new releases that easily.

But yeah, they really should make some of their classic horror more accessible through streaming.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    SLE

isn't it 7.99$/month for streaming now? Is that only in Canada?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    P.S. I think the "outraged" option is kind of comical and unreasonble. This is a private business, not the government, they don't owe anyone anything. I used to feel like it was an ubelievable steal to watch so may quality films on demand back to back on my laptop. Usually if you purchase individual, on-demand films through digital cable it costs A LOT MORE.

The DVD option really is best for brand new films, and that's because the film production companies aren't going to give away brand new releases that easily.

But yeah, they really should make some of their classic horror more accessible through streaming.
    I think it is a really good deal.. or at least I did.
    The math:
    If you're streaming-dedicated, you only get a fraction of the selection. You sacrifice new releases for convenience, you get things way later. While it doesnt bother some people, being the last one to see star trek means you'll undoubtably collect the entire plot via snippets of information leeking until much of the twists in the story are ruined. By the time streaming people get a hold of something, it is long past the social "grace period" of "I wont say it then! you have to watch it though!" lines.

So it's $8 a month for a few DVDs. Maybe you watch the entire series of True Blood, so it was worth it that month.

The month after, you watch 1 DVD -- Rango, because your cousin won't shut up about it. It's a DVD you could have rented at the Red Box for $1. $7 is gone, that could have been spent on 7 more movies, or a meal at mcdonalds to go with that cheap ass rental. Also, many game stores are offering DVD buy-back rentals.. "Buy it for $4, sell it back to us for $3 when you're done. No late fees, and if you like it a lot, you can just keep it there."

I think streaming people really get left out in this.. And if they update streaming anymore than this, you'll bet it'll turn into "Premium streaming--stream our DVDs as well for $x extra." Which will funnel streaming community right back into choosing outsourced DVDs or the DVD plan they were trying to avoid in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Odyne View Post
    isn't it 7.99$/month for streaming now? Is that only in Canada?
    It is in the US.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it doesn't really bother me all that much... just make a few more things available on streaming (I'm usually annoyed about not being able to find series of several television programs!)... otherwise, I only use the streaming function anyways and leave the ordering of dvds part to the man, because it sounds like too much work to me
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

Will you be buying the DVD option as well? Anyways, I'm mostly venting my future potential frustration once they raise the streaming price again. (yay for ne!) I have blockbuster online too and they have both, but I only pay $4.99/mth for that but it's only 1-title out per month, unlimited streaming. They either don't advertise that plan or they only offered it to me because I threatened to cancel. Anyways I only use blockbuster to find new releases and older movies I might want to see if netflix doesn't have them. I'm still skeptical of torrents.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Will you be buying the DVD option as well? Anyways, I'm mostly venting my future potential frustration once they raise the streaming price again. (yay for ne!) I have blockbuster online too, but I only pay $4.99/mth for that, and I've been a customer since it started.
    No I probably won't buy the DVD option because there are so many films I enjoy on streaming, and I can watch horror films elsewhere.

Blockbuster *should* charge less, because their selection is absolute shit, IMO. To someone with my taste in film Netflix is heaven and Blockbuster is hell.