User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

A window to the soul

I don't cry at movies.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

I get emotional and cry at anything even remotely sad on film. It's kind of embarrassing, actually.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    A few:
    The entire last 15 minutes of Toy Story 3.
    Twice in Up -- the opening flashback sequence, and the scene later when Fredricksen REALLY takes a good at the picture book he and his wife had together.
    Pixar has a gift for this kind of thing. Iron Giant is also pretty sad at points, in terms of kids films.

Which was weird for me, since the movie [Schindler's List] content was pretty harsh... I was mortified by much of it ... but I don't think I actually cried. It just seemed so stark to me.
    I think that's true for most of the film, except maybe the part at the end where be breaks down about how he could have done more.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl
    I don't cry at movies
    It is possible you have not seen the right movies. There's only a select few that actually make me shed a tear.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    It is possible you have not seen the right movies. There's only a select few that actually make me shed a tear.
    When some movies suddenly get real, I've felt touched and choked back tears, but it's nothing I couldn't keep under wraps. I guess I do that because it's tough to watch people cry. I try to remain strong so I don't bring people down with me. I haven't seen a movie yet that I couldn't handle. : D

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    When some movies suddenly get real, I've felt touched and choked back tears, but it's nothing I couldn't keep under wraps. I guess I do that because it's tough to watch people cry. I try to remain strong so I don't bring people down with me. I haven't seen a movie yet that I couldn't handle. : D
    This makes sense. I also consciously keep things in check seeing a movie with others. When I am alone, I'll more readily display emotional response. But, aside from Dear Zachary, no movies ever gotten more than a few tears out of me even in private.

One I just remembered: When I was a kid (around age 10) I cried at the Green Mile. Especially when that one guy (not the messiah character, but the guy who took in the mouse) died. I saw the movie again for the first time recently and did not respond nearly as strongly.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I cry over everything. I'm easily moved by good dramatic film making.

This is one of the latest films I recall that I *really* cried over.

violaine

With some of these, I didn't cry during the sad parts, I was *baww*ing during the uplifting parts.

Sophie's Choice (which I only saw recently. GD), The Secret Life of Words, You Can Count on Me, The Orphanage, Antwone Fisher, The Shawshank Redemption, Snow Falling on Cedars.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Also, Revolutionary Road. I blame the soundtrack...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Pixar has a gift for this kind of thing. Iron Giant is also pretty sad at points, in terms of kids films.
    Oh, yeah, I cried at the end of that too, when he says goodbye and then pictures himself as Superman when going to meet the missile.

I think that's true for most of the film, except maybe the part at the end where be breaks down about how he could have done more.
    I empathized with him there, but didn't feel any sort of emotion that would lead to me actually crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    Also, Revolutionary Road. I blame the soundtrack...
    Wow. That was a brutal movie, honestly. Not as relentless as Requiem for a Dream, but parts of it had the same stark emotional brutality.

I find I cry when people are making huge sacrifices for something they believe in and make that journey alone (because I think often the sacrificial road IS one that people end up walking alone).

I even cried at the end of Beauty & The Beast, first when the Beast chooses to let Belle go, knowing it would cost him everything... and then at the end where Belle comes back but he dies, and she realizes she loved him all along but it's too late... and then there's this beautiful transformation/redemption. My kids always made fun of me for crying when we watched that together.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oh geez...Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't think I'd ever be able to stop crying.

But that's a rare one. I tend to be really suspicious of movies that pull on my heartstrings. Like they're emotionally manipulating me. So I retaliate by being as stoic as possible.

However, more than making me cry, there are some movies that just sit with me and sit on my emotions like a big warm, sad blanket. The Orphanage and the Painted Veil were two such movies. Many of the Pixar movies and many of Hayao Miyazaki's movies as well.

Generally, the less a movie tries to be sad in a sad scenario, the sadder I feel.