• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most Terrifying Moments in Film

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So moral questions are raised: Is it moral to put people in a situation where they lose some things dear to them in order to save their own souls?
This is a pretty easy one for me and probably why I don't find that series all that compelling: no. You're not God, you don't get to choose who to test and "save". It's not up to you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a pretty easy one for me and probably why I don't find that series all that compelling: no. You're not God, you don't get to choose who to test and "save". It's not up to you.

Instead society just judges people anyway, make rules against them for behaviors society doesn't like, and toss them in jail or execute them for not "fixing themselves."

There's an interesting interplay between social mores compliance vs subjective valuation on the individual end of things. Your judgment makes sense; yet some of the people knew they were on the fast track to hell, couldn't get out, and in the unfolding of the movie, expressed gratitude at how the experience they went through motivated them to change their lives.

Then again, some others did not.

But that was another aspect of the movies I appreciated -- they were fair. It asked these questions, and then let some of the characters say it was a bunch of shit and was the worst kind of predation and violence, while others claimed it was a life-changing experience. And some of the characters who claimed it changed their lives ended up still being exploitative and locked within their bad patterns, while others experienced true redemption.

So those questions are left to resonate with the viewer instead of the movie trying to "justify" itself.

R

Riva

For some reason I thought those two episodes were less effective than "Blink" (newness factor, maybe?). The creepiest Doctor Who for me was the gas mask two-parter. I absolutely loved them! :)

Sally Sparrow :blush:. I wish I was English.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsAqKHtS63Q"]SCARY[/YOUTUBE]

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
This scene from the Shining is pretty scary...but I gotta say the scariest parts in that film were the ones dealing with the corpse lady in the bathtub. *shudders*

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUIZYtyD1vU&feature=related"]The Twins[/YOUTUBE]

bunnyhighbrow

MBTI Type
INxP
Does anyone remember that bit in King Kong (Peter Jackson), when after being all settled in to watching an epic adventure film, they suddenly all fell down into a dark ravine and giant insects appeared and started eating them, and worst of all, one guy gets gruesomely 'sucked' up by loads of giant worms with no eyes and just teeth at the end of their long, disgusting mouths.

Really freaked me out, and utterly changed the film experience. My jaw dropped for about 20 minutes and it totally stuck in my head for ages, was just like 'WTF?!!' because I had zero expectation of something freaky happening.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Has anyone mentioned the torture scenes in Martyrs? I love horror movies, I could watch them on repeat, and some of them even give me an adrenaline rush...and I will probably never watch Martyrs again, or if I do it will be a while. It's already been a couple of years. It made me think but it's just...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This one? [YOUTUBE="zH8ynu0jRvY"]UGH[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: DON'T WATCH IT OR YOU RUIN IT FOREVER

WTF? They butchered it! Earlier in the movie you learn about the shears which are used to decapitate bodies during autopsies. That clip only contains the last minute of a 5 minute long scene. The nurse goes around and checks on patients, even receiving a pretty good scare halfway thru that ratchets up the the tension for the audience. The youtube clip has an ending so one expects something to happen at the end, in the movie you have no idea when the scene is ending, you think you're going to follow the nurse some more.

UGH UGH UGH RUINED

ZPowers has seen the movie, he knows what I'm talking about. I watch tons of horror movies, that scene is easily in my top 5 of all-time. I'm not scared watching that clip at all. It's also one of those scenes you can only see once, so you're screwed forever if you watch that clip.

Re: Exorcist III: I also liked the old woman in the confessional, when her voices changes as she talks about murdering people to the shocked priest. Oh, and the ceiling crawl....

That scene scared the fuck out of me as a teenager, and I've seen all of the Exorcist movies and read both the original Exorcist and Legion novels.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Jaws -- I agree. I was sort of scared of the ocean the next time I went to the beach as a kid from this movie. Any movie that puts an animal in danger of becoming extinct because people are scared of it was a damn scary movie.
The moment before the end credits roll -- The Blair Witch Project -- THIS is an absolute for me. The small, tiny hand prints already had me curled up.. but (over 10 year old spoilers) the guy standing in the corner, like a child.. @_@ .. It still gives me the creeps. The ARGs that opened up as a result of this movie are amazing as well.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Jaws -- I agree. I was sort of scared of the ocean the next time I went to the beach as a kid from this movie. Any movie that puts an animal in danger of becoming extinct because people are scared of it was a damn scary movie.
The moment before the end credits roll -- The Blair Witch Project -- THIS is an absolute for me. The small, tiny hand prints already had me curled up.. but (over 10 year old spoilers) the guy standing in the corner, like a child.. @_@ .. It still gives me the creeps. The ARGs that opened up as a result of this movie are amazing as well.

I should've also put Scary Movie on the list. It was scary because people thought it was funny.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTPs who are scared of things like Poltergeist and Scary Movie make me want to squeal in delight.

Now I know where all of this over-compensatory braggadocio comes from. *snickers*

Nicodemus

Has anyone mentioned the torture scenes in Martyrs? I love horror movies, I could watch them on repeat, and some of them even give me an adrenaline rush...and I will probably never watch Martyrs again, or if I do it will be a while. It's already been a couple of years. It made me think but it's just...
I liked the idea behind it (at least what I made of it). But the first half of the film was just boring.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

I cannot fathom anyone being scared of the Blair Witch Project. It was so disappointing to me. I was like...omg...are you fucking serious?

It doesn't cross over to my suspension of disbelief, and it's not because it's low budget. Texas Chainsaw Massacre accomplished it beautifully.

I wonder if what scares us is very personal, or some people are more easily absorbed into things that obviously aren't real.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I liked the idea behind it (at least what I made of it). But the first half of the film was just boring.

I guess I'm more easily caught up in the human drama element because I really wanted to know what the hell was wrong with that girl and why she was there, doing what she did. The mystery of it intrigued me.

I remember after I finished watching it I went out in my front yard and sat in the grass and thought about it, I mean the concept it was attempting to convey.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
The part in Ferngully when Hexxus further materializes himself using the toxins and pollution produced by that tree chopping machine, meanwhile Tim Curry's ominous presence and melodic singing just completely set a tone that completely sent chills up my spine.

With this admission I'm sure I've backslid about 5 notches, coming dangerously close to broaching the pussy category on the marm-o-meter of film masculinity.

EDIT:...Implying I wasn't there already.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The part in Ferngully when Hexxus further materializes himself using the toxins and pollution produced by that tree chopping machine, meanwhile Tim Curry's ominous presence and melodic singing just completely set a tone that completely sent chills up my spine.

With this admission I'm sure I've backslid about 5 notches, coming dangerously close to broaching the pussy category on the marm-o-meter of film masculinity.

You didn't get this feeling when you saw Tone Loc as that lizard?

Nicodemus

I guess I'm more easily caught up in the human drama element because I really wanted to know what the hell was wrong with that girl and why she was there, doing what she did. The mystery of it intrigued me.
I believe - I do not recall much of it - the mad girl mystery struck me as rather phony. The first half did have Xavier Dolan, of course, though not for long.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Don't worry. I'll protect you.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I cannot fathom anyone being scared of the Blair Witch Project. It was so disappointing to me. I was like...omg...are you fucking serious?

It doesn't cross over to my suspension of disbelief, and it's not because it's low budget. Texas Chainsaw Massacre accomplished it beautifully.

I wonder if what scares us is very personal, or some people are more easily absorbed into things that obviously aren't real.

It didn't scare me, but it could be very creepy.

That final image was chilling, just because you're thinking "OMG she's about to...!"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It didn't scare me, but it could be very creepy.

That final image was chilling, just because you're thinking "OMG she's about to...!"

I was pretty young then, in my teens. When I found out it wasn't a documentary I was like HAHAHAHAH. I remember sitting in the theater and being so bored.

It was like watching my high school friends make a film project.

I couldn't get into Paranormal Activity either.