• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most Terrifying Moments in Film

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The guy with eyes on his hands? :yes: He was pretty creepy. But in my opinion, her dad was a more terrifying monster than anything else in that movie.

... *shudder*
Yeah. The girl's constant flight into fantasy and flight back into reality and finding that they are equally horrible (and how things in both worlds keep getting worse). It was a terrifying cinematic experience for me >_>

What's funny is that I've read the actor who played the dictator is known for comedic roles in his native country. This was truly a departure for him. His depiction was chilling.
I never would have guessed! :shock:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am legend... Wtf. I was not expecting that to be scary. Not cool!

You gotta admit tho there was something oddly appealing about the first half of the film where it was just Will Smith alone with his dog in the middle of an overgrown Manhattan.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Nothing has scared me more than listening to the music and the intro for "Unsolved Mysteries" ... AHHHHHH, I just listened to it for a sec and have creeped myself OUT! And Robert Stack's voice. OMG, I have a specific memory being in my grandparent's house, alone, with that show on..... CREEPY!

See, a movie is a movie, but this stuff WAS REAL!!!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spa3d4cxtto"]Scary![/YOUTUBE]

We were into watching the X-Files when our son was around 7 or 8, and he said he could hear the music from his bedroom, and that it STILL creeps him out (although he can watch "Unsolved Mysteries" no problem!) ASIDE: X-Files got stupider and stupider - Chris Carter should have stuck with 5 seasons like he promised.

Scariest moments in film ... wow that's a tough one. I hate the gratuitous gory stuff. Like the opening of the movie "Ghost Ship". That one took me by surprise. Can't unsee it after you've seen it. I try to cover my eyes and ask my husband for a verbal description and to tell me when it's safe to look again.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGtC2S22Z0"]Signs[/YOUTUBE]

I screamed when I first saw that scene.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Then there's original "Psycho", and "Carrie" in the prom scene, and "Omen" where the boy dies under the ice (I think that's Omen 2) .....

Oh and "Event Horizon", that's pretty disturbing.

Hmm that's enough pondering that question!

:fairy: to introduce some levity back into my day!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We were into watching the X-Files when our son was around 7 or 8, and he said he could hear the music from his bedroom, and that it STILL creeps him out (although he can watch "Unsolved Mysteries" no problem!) ASIDE: X-Files got stupider and stupider - Chris Carter should have stuck with 5 seasons like he promised.

I was okay with seven seasons, but definitely that's where it should have been called... definitely Seasons 2-6 were solid and the height around 4-5. (Season 7 still has one of my favorite episodes... the humorous one with the djinn wrapped up in the carpet. I thought the ending was rather sweet too.)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Well, y'all got me thinking on this ... one of the most disturbing things I have watched, that stuck with me for years, was an episode from a short-lived TV series called "Millenium". I guess for me it was terrifying because it struck so horrifically at my heart, with a twist that was so incredibly agonizing and sad. So, so, so dark, real and dark. I had to stop watching this series. I don't think I went much past season 1.

"Thou dost frighten me with dreams and terrify me by visions." - Job 7:14

That episode succeeded! :laugh:

Covenant

It was produced by Chris Carter as well.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq375kYlmxQ"]Theme Song[/YOUTUBE]

OK, now that I have found that after searching for a bit, I need to get some work done! :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RGtC2S22Z0"]Signs[/YOUTUBE]

I screamed when I first saw that scene.

I thought that bit was brilliant, it's always been one of my favorite "gotcha" moments. It can be so much more effective when directors have restraint. There was no monster glamour shot, just a POV that was really scary because it was exactly as you might see it in real life.

I had the shit scared out of me by a scene in the movie "Antonia's Line" where a crucifix come alive, smiles and winks. But it was a lighthearted scene, I just have a weird phobia of religious iconography. It stayed with me for weeks.

A

Anew Leaf

You gotta admit tho there was something oddly appealing about the first half of the film where it was just Will Smith alone with his dog in the middle of an overgrown Manhattan.

Haha! Actually that part of the movie I LOVED. It's pretty much what would happen to Earth if I ever get my hands on a genie. "Hi Genie, I wish for everyone to go away and leave me alone forever except for a dog because that would be snugglesome."

The rest of the movie freaked me out.... and the part with the dog made me cry.

Ugh.

Also I was annoyed because the movie was so very different from the story that it was based off of. :(

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
- They ..basically the entire movie since it's basis is about creatures that exist in the dark, want to drag you into the dark, oh and they control light sources. Eff that.
- Quarantine ..when she is freaking out about the light not being on her and freaking out over opening a door.
- The Grudge ..creepy asian broads just make my skin crawl. The gutteral noises whenever she popped up unexpectedly slayed me for life.
- Silent Hill ..the nurse scene.
- Event Horizon ..can't remember exactly, but the first revelation/acknowledgement that the ship is fucked
- Insidious ..when the woman is describing what she sees over the bed
- Paranormal Activity ..her smile in one of the endings (as there are a few different endings)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
- They ..basically the entire movie since it's basis is about creatures that exist in the dark, want to drag you into the dark, oh and they control light sources. Eff that.

Oh god, I'd forgotten about this one! I wanted so badly to think this movie was stupid, but it was just too creepy. Damn you, Wes Craven! *shakes fists*

Also in the same vein as the Alien prank clip that was posted earlier:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKjsUL-escE"]Exhibit B-5[/YOUTUBE]

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, y'all got me thinking on this ... one of the most disturbing things I have watched, that stuck with me for years, was an episode from a short-lived TV series called "Millenium". I guess for me it was terrifying because it struck so horrifically at my heart, with a twist that was so incredibly agonizing and sad. So, so, so dark, real and dark. I had to stop watching this series. I don't think I went much past season 1.

I think it only lasted 3 years or so, it never made it to 2000. But it was my favorite show on TV for awhile... X-Files intensified a few notches, and Lance Henriksen and Megan Gallagher were great in their roles. (Terry o' Quinn was in that too, although he finally got large-scale renown by playing Locke on "Lost" some years later.)

But it was very dark. And the writing was inconsistent, so it just never quite made it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha! Actually that part of the movie I LOVED. It's pretty much what would happen to Earth if I ever get my hands on a genie. "Hi Genie, I wish for everyone to go away and leave me alone forever except for a dog because that would be snugglesome."

The rest of the movie freaked me out.... and the part with the dog made me cry.

Ugh.
Yes! The part when he goes hunting in Times Square is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a movie theater. :wub:

But it made me cry, at exactly the same place where you cried, Saturned. And I simply cannot forgive that movie for it. :dont: Very few movies make me cry, but when they do, I resent them and refuse to watch them ever again.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
But it made me cry, at exactly the same place where you cried, Saturned. And I simply cannot forgive that movie for it. :dont: Very few movies make me cry, but when they do, I resent them and refuse to watch them ever again.

That part made me angry -- because I saw it coming and I was angry at the emotional manipulation they were pulling...

Anything where pets die make me angry >_<

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That part made me angry -- because I saw it coming and I was angry at the emotional manipulation they were pulling...
:yes: !!!

And it's even worse that I didn't just cry -- I bawled. I sobbed in the theater. :dont: Not okay!!
Anything where pets die make me angry >_<
I avoid movies and books where there's animal violence, because of that -- though I get sad, instead of mad. I almost quit reading "Slaughter-House Five" in the middle, even though I freaking LOVED that book, just because there was a particularly horrible bit of animal violence (which was such an insignificant moment, plot-wise, that no one else I've talked to about it remembers it).

Vizzy

Enneagram
5w4
No other movie scene has scared me as much as this one.

The first few minutes:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Insidious ..when the woman is describing what she sees over the bed

Finally saw this movie.

I still only consider it a B-rate overall (ALTHOUGH the two parents actually seemed sensible and real, for once, in a movie like this!)...

... but that thing you're describing was as scary as hell, pretty much any time it showed up except for (ironically) in the Further or whatever the astral plane was called. Typically as long as we were only getting flashes of its appearance, it was darn freaky.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No other movie scene has scared me as much as this one.

The first few minutes:

Thus disproving the theory that an out-of-context Youtube video can't be creepy as hell.

Finally saw this movie.

I still only consider it a B-rate overall (ALTHOUGH the two parents actually seemed sensible and real, for once, in a movie like this!)...

... but that thing you're describing was as scary as hell, pretty much any time it showed up except for (ironically) in the Further or whatever the astral plane was called. Typically as long as we were only getting flashes of its appearance, it was darn freaky.

I saw this recently as well. I was pretty thoroughly whelmed by it especially given that the makers of Saw and Paranormal Activity were behind it. I thought it was actually kinda funny in certain places. Like

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dangit I got Insidious to see tonight.

Then again, Saw was vastly overrated.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I saw this recently as well. I was pretty thoroughly whelmed by it especially given that the makers of Saw and Paranormal Activity were behind it. I thought it was actually kinda funny in certain places. Like <spoiler>

Lol. Okay, that scene ruined the tone of the movie for me, personally, but that is rather cute/funny.

I didn't realize some Saw and Paranormal Activity folks were behind it.

I actually liked PA 1, and I just watched the entire Saw series back to back in the last week. I actually really like it, because there's a difference between John Kramer and his 'understudies' -- an actual method to his madness, a purpose that drives him, rules that he imposes on himself, and his goal is to somehow "rehabilitate" rather than destroy. So moral questions are raised: Is it moral to put people in a situation where they lose some things dear to them in order to save their own souls?

And of course the complexity not just of each trap, and each movie as it interlocks, but also of all the time-overlapping sequences and trying to get the chronology right in one's head of when events occur despite which movie they appear in, plus trying to figure out who is who... all that's pretty mentally stimulating.

The gore quotient is pretty high though.

Then again, Saw was vastly overrated.

Like I said, I think the cultural focus on it was stupid -- people seemed interested in the gore.

I was more interested in the moral questions and trying to figure out the multiple puzzles of plot and time in my head.

Enjoy Insidious. I recommend watching it alone, in a dark house, late at night, with the wind rattling your windows and creaking the floors.