• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Most Terrifying Moments in Film

G

Glycerine

Gacy (the clown face and the maggots coming bursting from the pipes because of all the dead boys buried underneath the house and it's based in truth)
Hocus Pocus
Mars Attack

These movies in entirety scared the shit out of me. I am a wimp.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No, of course not. But I'd just like to note it's unfair to poo-poo a moment when all the context you have is a very short clip.

I thought the production values were cheap, and the cut over to the statue (which I will avoid describing) was handled sloppily in terms of timing and pacing. That leads me to believe the rest of the movie was kind of sloppy too, which means I don't really expect the scene to be as powerful as it could be even in context. That's where I am coming from and partly what my comment was based on, which I don't think you have yet understood.

If the nuances had been tighter, then maybe I'd think the additional viewing time would make a significant difference. There are clips I can watch and immediately see how, in the context of something just as polished, could be very effective within context of the larger work.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found the clip from Exorcist 3 on YouTube. It didn't do as much for me. The problem is that it was so fast that if you blink you might miss it, and I kind of blinked right as it happened.

This one? [YOUTUBE="zH8ynu0jRvY"]UGH[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: DON'T WATCH IT OR YOU RUIN IT FOREVER

WTF? They butchered it! Earlier in the movie you learn about the shears which are used to decapitate bodies during autopsies. That clip only contains the last minute of a 5 minute long scene. The nurse goes around and checks on patients, even receiving a pretty good scare halfway thru that ratchets up the the tension for the audience. The youtube clip has an ending so one expects something to happen at the end, in the movie you have no idea when the scene is ending, you think you're going to follow the nurse some more.

UGH UGH UGH RUINED

ZPowers has seen the movie, he knows what I'm talking about. I watch tons of horror movies, that scene is easily in my top 5 of all-time. I'm not scared watching that clip at all. It's also one of those scenes you can only see once, so you're screwed forever if you watch that clip.

Re: Exorcist III: I also liked the old woman in the confessional, when her voices changes as she talks about murdering people to the shocked priest. Oh, and the ceiling crawl....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
WTF? They butchered it! Earlier in the movie you learn about the shears which are used to decapitate bodies during autopsies. That clip only contains the last minute of a 5 minute long scene. The nurse goes around and checks on patients, even receiving a pretty good scare halfway thru that ratchets up the the tension for the audience. The youtube clip has an ending so one expects something to happen at the end, in the movie you have no idea when the scene is ending, you think you're going to follow the nurse some more.

Okay. I can accept that and will just concede the point, although I was expecting something else with the clip.

(Note: I cannot see the clip above right now, but it was the 2-3 minute one of the nurse's station and the long hallway shot.)

I'll just say also that I finally saw The Exorcist around 2000 or so, after all the years of hype... and I found it really boring. I mean, I had already read the book years before too, so that didn't help, but it just did not do much for me emotionally. And I watched the whole thing from start to finish, so it wasn't like I missed the pacing or setup or anything; it just was old hat compared to things I had seen since then, and books I had read, and ideas I had confronted. Then again, I guess it was 25 years old or something by then.

I actually found the "spider scene" (which isn't really in the original movie but released online and/or in the extras) creepier than what was in the movie.

I also need to say this thread now has whetted my appetite to be creeped out again. I went online and saw a bunch of "Scariest Moments in Horror Movies" compilation clips; I ended up watching Silence of the Lambs last night; and I might watch a few of the movies mentioned here this week. I just really like feeling unsettled.

Oh, and I ran across this really horrible clip of someone being pulled inexorably by zombies through a jagged wood opening, while she is watching a long piece of wood slowly move toward and then pierce her right eye and go into her brain. Crazy Hostel like stuff. Another clip showed someone cutting through car windows and windshields with a large rusty circular saw, to kill the people inside. Gaaa. Not sure if that is creepy or just crazy gross.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay. I can accept that and will just concede the point, although I was expecting something else with the clip.

(Note: I cannot see the clip above right now, but it was the 2-3 minute one of the nurse's station and the long hallway shot.)

It reminds me of the end of the Blair Witch Project. I found that ending extremely creepy and horrifying. If you just show the ending to someone, even if you tell them the significance of "standing in the corner", it won't really impact them much.

One of my brothers that I saw it with actually forgot the story the guy told that explained the "standing in the corner" and so he was all "Huh?" afterward. I explained it, and then he got it, but by then it is too late.

I'll just say also that I finally saw The Exorcist around 2000 or so, after all the years of hype... and I found it really boring. I mean, I had already read the book years before too, so that didn't help, but it just did not do much for me emotionally. And I watched the whole thing from start to finish, so it wasn't like I missed the pacing or setup or anything; it just was old hat compared to things I had seen since then, and books I had read, and ideas I had confronted. Then again, I guess it was 25 years old or something by then.

I actually found the "spider scene" (which isn't really in the original movie but released online and/or in the extras) creepier than what was in the movie.

lol, I thought the spider scene was dumb.

I think horror movies are most effective when one only has a vague sense about the movie. Knowing too much lessens the effect.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One of my brothers that I saw it with actually forgot the story the guy told that explained the "standing in the corner" and so he was all "Huh?" afterward. I explained it, and then he got it, but by then it is too late.

Well, yes, at that point. That story was important to grasping what was going on later.

lol, I thought the spider scene was dumb.

Well, my one main phobia is spiders. I can't even bear to stand touching pictures of them in books, watching "Fear Factor" with the tarantulas coating the contestants was terrible for me, and I barely dealt with Harry Potter 2 and the whole "spider chase" scene, which was not even as realistic as the scene in the King Kong remake with all the creepy-crawlies. MMOs all use big spiders as monsters in their games, and my skin crawls anytime one skitters toward me on screen.

If you want to just freak me out, toss a spider in my hair. It doesn't even have to be a big one.

I think horror movies are most effective when one only has a vague sense about the movie. Knowing too much lessens the effect.

I agree. It's why I didn't post details about Paranormal Activity, although I guess someone else eventually did. It's one of those movies that is best on the first pass, before you know anything. a lot of the action is mundane when described, but in context and with pacing, watched in a dark room, made my skin crawl when I didn't know what was going to happen next.

Quarantine is another of the "fake documentary" spookers, though I don't think quite as good.

I really liked Cloverfield. That's kind of a mix of horror/drama, but it's another "fake documentary" pic, it has a strong human element... and it's full of spookiness because you never really know what the monster is nor can you really see all of it (it's always shrouded by darkness or debris clouds or hidding behind parts of buildings). And then there's the whole "chase in the darkness" in the sewers by the mini's.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, yes, at that point. That story was important to grasping what was going on later.

Well, my one main phobia is spiders. I can't even bear to stand touching pictures of them in books, watching "Fear Factor" with the tarantulas coating the contestants was terrible for me, and I barely dealt with Harry Potter 2 and the whole "spider chase" scene, which was not even as realistic as the scene in the King Kong remake with all the creepy-crawlies. MMOs all use big spiders as monsters in their games, and my skin crawls anytime one skitters toward me on screen.

If you want to just freak me out, toss a spider in my hair. It doesn't even have to be a big one.

I agree. It's why I didn't post details about Paranormal Activity, although I guess someone else eventually did. It's one of those movies that is best on the first pass, before you know anything. a lot of the action is mundane when described, but in context and with pacing, watched in a dark room, made my skin crawl when I didn't know what was going to happen next.

Quarantine is another of the "fake documentary" spookers, though I don't think quite as good.

I really liked Cloverfield. That's kind of a mix of horror/drama, but it's another "fake documentary" pic, it has a strong human element... and it's full of spookiness because you never really know what the monster is nor can you really see all of it (it's always shrouded by darkness or debris clouds or hidding behind parts of buildings). And then there's the whole "chase in the darkness" in the sewers by the mini's.

The subway chase was the best, as was the demise of Lizzy Caplan's character.

Speaking of spiders... the entire movie Arachnophobia was one long creep-out fest. I had my feet off the floor most of the movie.

I also remember that scene in the bedroom with the two boys in Something Wicked This Way Comes with the spiders.... GET IT OFF ME!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Poor Lizzy. :(

Speaking of spiders... the entire movie Arachnophobia was one long creep-out fest. I had my feet off the floor most of the movie.

Thanks. I'm sitting here at WORK now with my feet up on the chair base rather than on the floor. ARG!

I also remember that scene in the bedroom with the two boys in Something Wicked This Way Comes with the spiders.... GET IT OFF ME!

Why do I tell you these things?

Even the big spider mech that dumped Neo out of his pod in the fields when he woke up in Matrix just creeped me out. (I did like the creep elements to Matrix, btw. I tend to like creep both in my scifi and/or fantasy.)

Other creep moments:
1. The scene near the end of Harry Potter's "Goblet of Fire" where Wormtail comes out with fetus Valdemort and dumps him into the pot and then the ritual continues...
2. Sunshine -- lots of scenes, most of them involving Pinbacker, but even exploring the abandoned ship was creepy, as well as Kaneda's and Searle's encounter(s) with the sun/fire.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess posting a picture of Shelob would be bad form?

R

Riva

There were 2 Doctor who episodes which were extremely scary. The names of the episodes were, The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone.

Watch those, you wouldn't regret it.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There were 2 Doctor who episodes which were extremely scary. The names of the episodes were, The Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone.

Watch those, you wouldn't regret it.
For some reason I thought those two episodes were less effective than "Blink" (newness factor, maybe?). The creepiest Doctor Who for me was the gas mask two-parter. I absolutely loved them! :)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Just thought of something: the second monster in Pan's Labyrinth. I felt like screaming and running out of the movie theater :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just thought of something: the second monster in Pan's Labyrinth. I felt like screaming and running out of the movie theater :laugh:
The guy with eyes on his hands? :yes: He was pretty creepy. But in my opinion, her dad was a more terrifying monster than anything else in that movie.

... *shudder*

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The guy with eyes on his hands? :yes: He was pretty creepy.

The Pale Man. Yeah, he's awesome. :)

But in my opinion, her dad was a more terrifying monster than anything else in that movie.
... *shudder*

The scene with the two peasants who claimed to be hunting rabbits sticks in my mind; I don't think I've ever gotten over the brutality of that scene.

What's funny is that I've read the actor who played the dictator is known for comedic roles in his native country. This was truly a departure for him. His depiction was chilling.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Were you scared of Eight Legged Freaks, as well?

A

Anew Leaf

I'm afraid of everything lol.

I saw the exorcist back in 2000 in a theater with friends. I spent the whole movie with my sweater over my head, but my eyes open... So basically I still saw the whole thing. I was jumpy for months.

I am legend... Wtf. I was not expecting that to be scary. Not cool!

Silence of the lambs.... The night vision scene.

Paranormal activity... The trailers did me in, and then I watched the ending. What is wrong with me?!

Para activity 2..... Watched the trailers over and over with an INFJ from work.... We were both jumpy and freaked out for weeks. (yeah something is wrong with me.)

Also for the record, spiders are scary irl. That is all. I think I've blocked my mind from other films.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Paranormal activity... The trailers did me in, and then I watched the ending. What is wrong with me?!

It's just not the same unless you're watching it alone, in a dark house, by yourself. Then it's awesome!

Did you fall off the sofa at the end? My skin was crawling so bad... It was great. (Although nothing beats the dragging scene.)

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
This scene from Hellraiser II: Hell bound still gets to me. The thought of having a bad hallucination / bad trip and overreacting to it is a gruesome way via self mutilation is always a disturbing thought.