Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So moral questions are raised: Is it moral to put people in a situation where they lose some things dear to them in order to save their own souls?
    This is a pretty easy one for me and probably why I don't find that series all that compelling: no. You're not God, you don't get to choose who to test and "save". It's not up to you.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This is a pretty easy one for me and probably why I don't find that series all that compelling: no. You're not God, you don't get to choose who to test and "save". It's not up to you.
    Instead society just judges people anyway, make rules against them for behaviors society doesn't like, and toss them in jail or execute them for not "fixing themselves."

There's an interesting interplay between social mores compliance vs subjective valuation on the individual end of things. Your judgment makes sense; yet some of the people knew they were on the fast track to hell, couldn't get out, and in the unfolding of the movie, expressed gratitude at how the experience they went through motivated them to change their lives.

Then again, some others did not.

But that was another aspect of the movies I appreciated -- they were fair. It asked these questions, and then let some of the characters say it was a bunch of shit and was the worst kind of predation and violence, while others claimed it was a life-changing experience. And some of the characters who claimed it changed their lives ended up still being exploitative and locked within their bad patterns, while others experienced true redemption.

So those questions are left to resonate with the viewer instead of the movie trying to "justify" itself.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post
    For some reason I thought those two episodes were less effective than "Blink" (newness factor, maybe?). The creepiest Doctor Who for me was the gas mask two-parter. I absolutely loved them!
    Sally Sparrow . I wish I was English.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsAqKHtS63Q"]SCARY[/YOUTUBE]
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

This scene from the Shining is pretty scary...but I gotta say the scariest parts in that film were the ones dealing with the corpse lady in the bathtub. *shudders*

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUIZYtyD1vU&feature=related"]The Twins[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INxP

Does anyone remember that bit in King Kong (Peter Jackson), when after being all settled in to watching an epic adventure film, they suddenly all fell down into a dark ravine and giant insects appeared and started eating them, and worst of all, one guy gets gruesomely 'sucked' up by loads of giant worms with no eyes and just teeth at the end of their long, disgusting mouths.

Really freaked me out, and utterly changed the film experience. My jaw dropped for about 20 minutes and it totally stuck in my head for ages, was just like 'WTF?!!' because I had zero expectation of something freaky happening.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Has anyone mentioned the torture scenes in Martyrs? I love horror movies, I could watch them on repeat, and some of them even give me an adrenaline rush...and I will probably never watch Martyrs again, or if I do it will be a while. It's already been a couple of years. It made me think but it's just...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This one? [YOUTUBE="zH8ynu0jRvY"]UGH[/YOUTUBE]

EDIT: DON'T WATCH IT OR YOU RUIN IT FOREVER

WTF? They butchered it! Earlier in the movie you learn about the shears which are used to decapitate bodies during autopsies. That clip only contains the last minute of a 5 minute long scene. The nurse goes around and checks on patients, even receiving a pretty good scare halfway thru that ratchets up the the tension for the audience. The youtube clip has an ending so one expects something to happen at the end, in the movie you have no idea when the scene is ending, you think you're going to follow the nurse some more.

UGH UGH UGH RUINED

ZPowers has seen the movie, he knows what I'm talking about. I watch tons of horror movies, that scene is easily in my top 5 of all-time. I'm not scared watching that clip at all. It's also one of those scenes you can only see once, so you're screwed forever if you watch that clip.

Re: Exorcist III: I also liked the old woman in the confessional, when her voices changes as she talks about murdering people to the shocked priest. Oh, and the ceiling crawl....
    That scene scared the fuck out of me as a teenager, and I've seen all of the Exorcist movies and read both the original Exorcist and Legion novels.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Jaws -- I agree. I was sort of scared of the ocean the next time I went to the beach as a kid from this movie. Any movie that puts an animal in danger of becoming extinct because people are scared of it was a damn scary movie.
    The moment before the end credits roll -- The Blair Witch Project -- THIS is an absolute for me. The small, tiny hand prints already had me curled up.. but (over 10 year old spoilers) the guy standing in the corner, like a child.. @_@ .. It still gives me the creeps. The ARGs that opened up as a result of this movie are amazing as well.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Jaws -- I agree. I was sort of scared of the ocean the next time I went to the beach as a kid from this movie. Any movie that puts an animal in danger of becoming extinct because people are scared of it was a damn scary movie.
    The moment before the end credits roll -- The Blair Witch Project -- THIS is an absolute for me. The small, tiny hand prints already had me curled up.. but (over 10 year old spoilers) the guy standing in the corner, like a child.. @_@ .. It still gives me the creeps. The ARGs that opened up as a result of this movie are amazing as well.
    I should've also put Scary Movie on the list. It was scary because people thought it was funny.