User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Phantonym

I used to watch loads of horror flicks as a kid. With hands over my face, peering through my fingers. But I was more excited than scared. Can't really remember being terrified.

I saw Omen when I was around 9-10. It was delicious back then and that's the first movie I think when thinking about terrifying movies.

In this scene, the lightning striking several times is better than the final, imo.

In this scene, when she goes through the window.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Also have to agree with people on the silent sequences in Paranormal Activity.
    Yeah. Totally. It's amazing how creepy it is to see something where nothing is actually happening... but the context is horrifying. Can you imagine waking up to that? Spooky as hell. I actually really liked that movie, despite all the hype. I think I've watched it twice so far.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm not gonna mention The Exorcist because I found the shocking/terrifying moments to be very lame, even though they might not have been in 1973, and The Omen was more boring than scary (Jerry Goldsmith's music did the best to save it, though). But here are some moments that I was scared of either as an adult or as a child.

1. When Bruce the Shark is actually working (and many of the moments, due to clever editing, he was not) -- Jaws
    2. The pool scene -- Poltergeist
    3. The very presence of the preacher -- Poltergeist II
    4. The unintentionally funny moments -- Poltergeist III
    5. The moment before the end credits roll -- The Blair Witch Project
    6. The forest running scene -- The Blair Witch Project
    7. The "Sloth" victim and the "Lust" victim (tie) -- Se7en
    8. The heads in the cabinet awakening scene -- Return to Oz (the music in this scene made it particularly effective)
    9. The umbrella with the bird's head -- Mary Poppins
    10. Amputation (and the build-up towards it) -- Saw

Runners up:

• Being inside the house with that creepy painting -- The Haunting (1999) (again, Jerry Goldsmith's music, along with the eerie sound effects throughout made this underrated movie very effective)
    • The "little girl's" surprise -- Orphan (a nice, fresh, unique twist to the evil child cliche)
    • The little girl's acting abilities -- the Poltergeist series

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    I used to watch loads of horror flicks as kid. With hands over my face, peering through my fingers. But I was more excited than scared. Can't really remember being terrified.

I saw Omen when I was around 9-10. It was delicious back then and that's the first movie I think when thinking about terrifying movies.

]
    Yeah those are wickedly creapy fun scenes. The creapy music in that movie still gives me chills.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    IsFJ

Also, pretty much any zombie film horrifies me... I think it makes me more "aware" of my own body, and the numerous ways it can be damaged, especially by (brrr) cannibalism.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Another startling scene is at the end of The Descent, where Sara is pukes out the car window, then turns back around and....

(The whole movie is actually pretty decent -- with a soundtrack by David Julyan, who did music for a number of Christopher Nolan movies, I think -- for it being about six female cavers lost underground faced with some creepycrawlers.)

I found the clip from Exorcist 3 on YouTube. It didn't do as much for me. The problem is that it was so fast that if you blink you might miss it, and I kind of blinked right as it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    In this scene, the lightning striking several times is better than the final, imo.
    Wow. Way to stick it to the man [of the cloth].

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The Orphanage. I went to bed scared with this one and that hasn't happend to me since I was very little. The film is actually the second highest-grossing debut ever for a Spanish film and was the biggest opening of the year, making it even larger than the worldwide success of Pan's Labyrinth, so it's worth looking into. I won't mention any scenes for this one; the whole film is incredibly tense.

Alien. When Dallas is being stalked by the alien in the ventilation shaft.

The Blair Witch Project. As Heather screams the camera pans up where we see Mike standing motionless facing the corner of the wall...

Paranormal Activity. 1) When Katie's possessed, she gets up and stands over the bed motionless for 3 hours of the night. 2) Days after, once again she gets up at night and goes out to her backyard. Her boyfriend Micah finds her there and has a creepy conversation with his possessed girlfriend. 3) In the middle of the night, Katie gets dragged out of bed and down the hall screaming for Micah.

Funny how lame they all sound here
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post

Alien. When Dallas is being stalked by the alien in the ventilation shaft.
    [YOUTUBE="431nGWVxXf4"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I found the clip from Exorcist 3 on YouTube. It didn't do as much for me. The problem is that it was so fast that if you blink you might miss it, and I kind of blinked right as it happened.
    Nothing'll scare you on YouTube like in the movies. You watch a fifteen second clip and say "ooh, something's gonna happen! I'll be totally prepped for 15 seconds!" Plus, the images exist in a void that have no context or, more importantly, built in suspense. It's impossible, even for the best scariest moment in the world, to lull you in with a false sense of ease in a few-seconds long clip called "Good scare from _____!" If you're talking about the part in Exorcist III I think you are, it's a genuinely good jump in the movie. On Youtube? Unless the video title is a trick itself, there is no such thing.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Nothing'll scare you on YouTube like in the movies. You watch a fifteen second clip and say "ooh, something's gonna happen! I'll be totally prepped for 15 seconds!" Plus, the images exist in a void that have no context or, more importantly, built in suspense. It's impossible, even for the best scariest moment in the world, to lull you in with a false sense of ease in a few-seconds long clip called "Good scare from _____!" If you're talking about the part in Exorcist III I think you are, it's a genuinely good jump in the movie. On Youtube? Unless the video title is a trick itself, there is no such thing.
    Well, I'll agree that mood and ambiance contributes greatly. The problem is that I'm not going to waste 90 minutes watching a really mediocre movie just for a 1-second scare.