User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    Plansescape Torment
    How criminal of me to forget this masterpiece...

a masterpiece of everything, not sound, not story, not vivid emotions for pixels, not a game, not the greatest-quest-ever

It is brilliant. That is all

And no game will ever be comparable

Insert Snarky Quip Here Stigmata's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    (as a random aside, I'm one of the only people I've met who cares almost nothing for the storyline, and usually skip by it if I can, or skim it at most. I can read a book for much more interesting stories- I want to be playing the game)
    I'm the exact opposite. I'm the guy who plays RPG games and runs around talking to every NPC, does every side quest, and researches the main story line either online or through guides to fill in the gaps that I've missed. With some games I'd rather watch someone else play and just soak the entire plot experience in rather than actually play the game myself, like the game play is merely an obstacle to extracting the contents of the story. This annoys people to death when they watch me play games.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I dare to say Chaos Rings has one of the best storytelling line I've ever see among Squaresoft FF series! (didn't try FF12 & 13 btw due to hectic working schedule)

It's just simply breath-taking! I'm really glad that my friend strongly recommended this!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Settlers of Catan
    Great game. I'm looking forward to playing more of it. It just costs a heckuvalot of money (that and the expansions!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Ginkgo

If I learn anything from games, it's usually indirectly. Assassin's Creed, for instance, gave me a very clear trail of breadcrumbs to follow in researching the Crusades; by the time Dante's Inferno came out I already knew the surrounding plot in vague historical detail. Planning on reading the Divine COmedy when I get around to it.

FPS games have given me a limited scope of information on firearms. Not how to fire them, of course. I learned that later.

I think the things learned through video games are very simple mental strategies that, most often than not, are mostly applicable to the games themselves and hardly anything in real life.

Once I dug into the history that inspired the classic RGP universe, I once again found more ammunition for assuming that entertainment industries love taking every liberty possible with such inspirations, usually only leaving a ghost-like outline of the real deal.

RDF

I haven’t really addressed the “what have you learned from games” portion of the OP. Some of these games do teach some basic life lessons.

In my case, I think gaming has improved my Te (the inferior function for INFPs like me). For example, higher-level quests in WoW may involve a lot of downtime or preparation. To get ready for a specific quest you may need to refresh armor or clean up your backpack or inventory your bank account. You may need to hunt down a needed herb or potion; you may need to study up and practice on new weapons or spells; you may need to read a walk-through to find out what supplies to bring along and what precautions to take. And so on.

When preparing for a quest, I trust the game designers not to make the preparations too burdensome. Naturally, real life isn’t as trustworthy. Still, breaking down and organizing quest preparations into separate, identifiable stages in the game has made me better at doing the same thing in real life. I have a picture on the wall of a staging area from a battleground in WoW. When a real-life task or errand turns convoluted and frustrating, the picture reminds me to settle down, give the preparatory phase due attention, break things up into stages, and enjoy the ride.

Gaming has also taught me not to be a perfectionist. That is, there’s a point when the preparations are done and it’s time to just pull the trigger and see what happens; there’s a time when it’s best to start the battle and accept the possibility of a fail as opposed to prepping forever and never moving to execution. Similarly, I’ve gotten better at moving to the execution phase in real life and accepting that some things just aren’t going to go my way (but most will).

Like I said earlier along, this is all just a basic life lesson. But with my crappy inferior Te, this particular lesson is something I’ve had difficultly learning elsewhere; somehow gaming makes it more identifiable and doable, and then I can transfer that lesson/attitude to real life.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Once I dug into the history that inspired the classic RGP universe, I once again found more ammunition for assuming that entertainment industries love taking every liberty possible with such inspirations, usually only leaving a ghost-like outline of the real deal.
    What do you mean by this? What is the real deal? (I'm sorry I've never played RPG's so I'm just relying on my imagination)

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I haven’t really addressed the “what have you learned from games” portion of the OP. Some of these games do teach some basic life lessons.

In my case, I think gaming has improved my Te (the inferior function for INFPs like me). For example, higher-level quests in WoW may involve a lot of downtime or preparation. To get ready for a specific quest you may need to refresh armor or clean up your backpack or inventory your bank account. You may need to hunt down a needed herb or potion; you may need to study up and practice on new weapons or spells; you may need to read a walk-through to find out what supplies to bring along and what precautions to take. And so on.

When preparing for a quest, I trust the game designers not to make the preparations too burdensome. Naturally, real life isn’t as trustworthy. Still, breaking down and organizing quest preparations into separate, identifiable stages in the game has made me better at doing the same thing in real life. I have a picture on the wall of a staging area from a battleground in WoW. When a real-life task or errand turns convoluted and frustrating, the picture reminds me to settle down, give the preparatory phase due attention, break things up into stages, and enjoy the ride.

Gaming has also taught me not to be a perfectionist. That is, there’s a point when the preparations are done and it’s time to just pull the trigger and see what happens; there’s a time when it’s best to start the battle and accept the possibility of a fail as opposed to prepping forever and never moving to execution. Similarly, I’ve gotten better at moving to the execution phase in real life and accepting that some things just aren’t going to go my way (but most will).

Like I said earlier along, this is all just a basic life lesson. But with my crappy inferior Te, this particular lesson is something I’ve had difficultly learning elsewhere; somehow gaming makes it more identifiable and doable, and then I can transfer that lesson/attitude to real life.
    That's really cool.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I guess the only personal lesson I've taken from games is that they showed I was too worried about winning and probably taught me to try a lot harder to maintain some grace and dignity in front of other people.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Great game. I'm looking forward to playing more of it. It just costs a heckuvalot of money (that and the expansions!)
    Love this game. We had a routine Friday game night for some time, and played with the Seafarers and Cities and Knights expansions. Unfortunately, after a while our differing play styles started to make the games less harmonious. My ENFJ girlfriend and ISTJ friend would move rather quickly, and didn't implement much strategy, but my IsTP friend and I would spend quite some time plotting our moves. It got to the point where it was simply a question of whether the IsTP would win or I would, and the ENFJ and ISTJ stopped enjoying it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]