User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I have liked some shooting games for some reasons, entertainment value, speed, mechanics, multiplayer aspects, difficulty, etc.

But on the other hand I could never hunt for sport in real life.

If I was living out in the wild and I was hungry I could kill an animal and then eat it. But not for sport.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    1. The shooting games at carnivals (I love these!)
    FWIW, you can set up a carnival-style range in the privacy of your own home for just a few bucks. Just buy an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun. (There’s lots of choices available; you can get a cheap air pistol, or you can buy competitive-level air rifles for big bucks.) Then set up a range in your back yard, or even indoors in your basement or garage. If you set it up indoors, just make sure you have a backdrop to catch the pellets and keep them from riccocheting: You just hang an old blanket in front of a wall or plywood board.

Then head downstairs to your basement range and do some plinking at targets whenever you want. Invite your friends and have little tournaments or whatever.

I know it sounds a little offbeat, but I had an airgun range in my basement and used my air gun at home to improve my target skills during the week in preparation for shooting real guns at the range on weekends.

A couple cautions though: 1) Go to a hardware store and get workman’s hearing protection and goggles/eyeglasses. Though not as noisy as real guns, air guns are still quite loud, especially when used indoors. They’ll give you hearing loss over time if you don't use some kind of hearing protection on a regular basis. 2) Keep the air guns away from the kiddies. Though not nearly as dangerous as real guns, they can still put out an eye.

2. Going to a shooting range IRL sounds fun but I don't feel the desire to buy a gun and I'd be slightly spooked.
    If you want to pursue it, any range or gun store will set you up with beginner’s gun classes and/or personal trainers to give you initial training and get you started. And most commercial ranges will have a supply of guns on hand for rental, so that you can try out a few different kinds of guns and shooting styles before investing in one for ownership.

If the idea of clay disks intrigues you, skeet shooting uses smaller, lighter shotguns than trap shooting. Lots of women shoot skeet. It’s just a question of whether you have a commercial skeet range nearby. If so, head over and watch for a bit. Then stop by the front office and inquire about beginner classes and gun rentals.

Also, I'm sure there's bowling video games, but the difference is you get to move your body more with real world sports vs virtual sports.
    Yeah, it's easy enough to run down to the corner bowling alley and do the real thing. Also, there's a big socializing aspect to bowling in a league--a lot of beer-drinking with your buddies as you bowl, assuming you're not too cut-throat about winning.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I have liked some shooting games for some reasons, entertainment value, speed, mechanics, multiplayer aspects, difficulty, etc.

But on the other hand I could never hunt for sport in real life.

If I was living out in the wild and I was hungry I could kill an animal and then eat it. But not for sport.
    Oh gosh ...I couldn't ever hunt animals for sport either. i'm okay with other people hunting if it's an animal that's no where close to being endangered and they were going to eat/consume the animal for sure. I certainly wouldn't want to see that process though.

I thought Fineline was talking about going to a shooting range.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    FWIW, you can set up a carnival-style range in the privacy of your own home for just a few bucks. Just buy an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun. (There’s lots of choices available; you can get a cheap air pistol, or you can buy competitive-level air rifles for big bucks.) Then set up a range in your back yard, or even indoors in your basement or garage. If you set it up indoors, just make sure you have a backdrop to catch the pellets and keep them from riccocheting: You just hang an old blanket in front of a wall or plywood board.

Then head downstairs to your basement range and do some plinking at targets whenever you want. Invite your friends and have little tournaments or whatever.

I know it sounds a little offbeat, but I had an airgun range in my basement and used my air gun at home to improve my target skills during the week in preparation for shooting real guns at the range on weekends.

A couple cautions though: 1) Go to a hardware store and get workman’s hearing protection and goggles/eyeglasses. Though not as noisy as real guns, air guns are still quite loud, especially when used indoors. They’ll give you hearing loss over time if you don't use some kind of hearing protection on a regular basis. 2) Keep the air guns away from the kiddies. Though not nearly as dangerous as real guns, they can still put out an eye.

If you want to pursue it, any range or gun store will set you up with beginner’s gun classes and/or personal trainers to give you initial training and get you started. And most commercial ranges will have a supply of guns on hand for rental, so that you can try out a few different kinds of guns and shooting styles before investing in one for ownership.

If the idea of clay disks intrigues you, skeet shooting uses smaller, lighter shotguns than trap shooting. Lots of women shoot skeet. It’s just a question of whether you have a commercial skeet range nearby. If so, head over and watch for a bit. Then stop by the front office and inquire about beginner classes and gun rentals.
    Thanks. That sounds really cool.
    (and yes I do like the idea of clay disks)

Yeah, it's easy enough to run down to the corner bowling alley and do the real thing. Also, there's a big socializing aspect to bowling in a league--a lot of beer-drinking with your buddies as you bowl, assuming you're not too cut-throat about winning.
    Hahaha I can picture this.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Oh gosh ...I couldn't ever hunt animals for sport either. i'm okay with other people hunting if it's an animal that's no where close to being endangered and they were going to eat/consume the animal for sure. I certainly wouldn't want to see that process though.

I thought Fineline was talking about going to a shooting range.
    Yeah, I've never hunted animals. I wouldn't know what to do with the dead animal. I don't even go fishing, because I wouldn't know what to do with the catch.

I just shoot targets and clay disks. I got my start in the military, then kept it up afterwards at commercial and private membership ranges.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Yeah, I've never hunted animals. I wouldn't know what to do with the dead animal. I don't even go fishing, because I wouldn't know what to do with the catch.
    Ooh fishing... I like fishing and I used to clean them as a kid when I went with my Dad. It's quick and easy and there are probably tons of YouTube videos on how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We degenerate into socializing, too, which probably doesn't help any of us stay focused on our characters. (Our DM tries to rein us in, but it is like herding cats.) Somehow, I have always played mages, except once, briefly, a cleric. Whenever I have considered branching out, none of the other players wanted to play a mage, so I did it again, so the party would have one.
    I did play as a black mage a long long time ago when I was playing FFXI, but it got really hard to get into a party to level once I went back to playing. Of all else, there was a load of damage dealers and not enough tanks and healers.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I play certain video games for abit of escapism in my mind; not exactly a gamer. I find those that I play, such as Modern Warfare 2 (on Special Ops) or Resident Evil 5 get me feeling aroused to perform at my sharpest, which ultimately gives me self-confidence on determining how far I can go with my performance.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I enjoy a wide variety of games. Board games, card games, and video games.

I like games with some element of strategy to them, yet pure strategy games like chess tend to bore me. Probably because they move too slowly. I like games that are good balance between strategy and chance.

Some of my favorites:

Settlers of Catan

Ticket to Ride

Dominion

Munchkin

Party games like Apples to Apples.

Word games like Scrabble and Boggle.

Super Mario Bros

Zelda

Tetris

Family Feud

Bejeweled

Minesweeper

and many more

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    (as a random aside, I'm one of the only people I've met who cares almost nothing for the storyline, and usually skip by it if I can, or skim it at most. I can read a book for much more interesting stories- I want to be playing the game)
    Same here. I've been playing Zelda on the WII lately and I get annoyed by all of the cutscenes that I'm forced to read through and watch after I pass through a certain point. I'd rather just collect things, kill the monsters, and advance to the next level.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP

I usually get involved in the story so mostly RPG for me. And sometimes so many choices and dilemmas.

And music sometimes is just incredible... Some themes from Gothic 2 or Plansescape Torment are beautiful.

I love board-games also - they are great for socializing.
    Hot-hearted head