User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 97

  1. #61
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    I have liked some shooting games for some reasons, entertainment value, speed, mechanics, multiplayer aspects, difficulty, etc.

    But on the other hand I could never hunt for sport in real life.

    If I was living out in the wild and I was hungry I could kill an animal and then eat it. But not for sport.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  2. #62
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    1. The shooting games at carnivals (I love these!)
    FWIW, you can set up a carnival-style range in the privacy of your own home for just a few bucks. Just buy an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun. (There’s lots of choices available; you can get a cheap air pistol, or you can buy competitive-level air rifles for big bucks.) Then set up a range in your back yard, or even indoors in your basement or garage. If you set it up indoors, just make sure you have a backdrop to catch the pellets and keep them from riccocheting: You just hang an old blanket in front of a wall or plywood board.

    Then head downstairs to your basement range and do some plinking at targets whenever you want. Invite your friends and have little tournaments or whatever.

    I know it sounds a little offbeat, but I had an airgun range in my basement and used my air gun at home to improve my target skills during the week in preparation for shooting real guns at the range on weekends.

    A couple cautions though: 1) Go to a hardware store and get workman’s hearing protection and goggles/eyeglasses. Though not as noisy as real guns, air guns are still quite loud, especially when used indoors. They’ll give you hearing loss over time if you don't use some kind of hearing protection on a regular basis. 2) Keep the air guns away from the kiddies. Though not nearly as dangerous as real guns, they can still put out an eye.

    2. Going to a shooting range IRL sounds fun but I don't feel the desire to buy a gun and I'd be slightly spooked.
    If you want to pursue it, any range or gun store will set you up with beginner’s gun classes and/or personal trainers to give you initial training and get you started. And most commercial ranges will have a supply of guns on hand for rental, so that you can try out a few different kinds of guns and shooting styles before investing in one for ownership.

    If the idea of clay disks intrigues you, skeet shooting uses smaller, lighter shotguns than trap shooting. Lots of women shoot skeet. It’s just a question of whether you have a commercial skeet range nearby. If so, head over and watch for a bit. Then stop by the front office and inquire about beginner classes and gun rentals.

    Also, I'm sure there's bowling video games, but the difference is you get to move your body more with real world sports vs virtual sports.
    Yeah, it's easy enough to run down to the corner bowling alley and do the real thing. Also, there's a big socializing aspect to bowling in a league--a lot of beer-drinking with your buddies as you bowl, assuming you're not too cut-throat about winning.

  3. #63
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I have liked some shooting games for some reasons, entertainment value, speed, mechanics, multiplayer aspects, difficulty, etc.

    But on the other hand I could never hunt for sport in real life.

    If I was living out in the wild and I was hungry I could kill an animal and then eat it. But not for sport.
    Oh gosh ...I couldn't ever hunt animals for sport either. i'm okay with other people hunting if it's an animal that's no where close to being endangered and they were going to eat/consume the animal for sure. I certainly wouldn't want to see that process though.

    I thought Fineline was talking about going to a shooting range.

  4. #64
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    FWIW, you can set up a carnival-style range in the privacy of your own home for just a few bucks. Just buy an air gun, pellet gun, or BB gun. (There’s lots of choices available; you can get a cheap air pistol, or you can buy competitive-level air rifles for big bucks.) Then set up a range in your back yard, or even indoors in your basement or garage. If you set it up indoors, just make sure you have a backdrop to catch the pellets and keep them from riccocheting: You just hang an old blanket in front of a wall or plywood board.

    Then head downstairs to your basement range and do some plinking at targets whenever you want. Invite your friends and have little tournaments or whatever.

    I know it sounds a little offbeat, but I had an airgun range in my basement and used my air gun at home to improve my target skills during the week in preparation for shooting real guns at the range on weekends.

    A couple cautions though: 1) Go to a hardware store and get workman’s hearing protection and goggles/eyeglasses. Though not as noisy as real guns, air guns are still quite loud, especially when used indoors. They’ll give you hearing loss over time if you don't use some kind of hearing protection on a regular basis. 2) Keep the air guns away from the kiddies. Though not nearly as dangerous as real guns, they can still put out an eye.



    If you want to pursue it, any range or gun store will set you up with beginner’s gun classes and/or personal trainers to give you initial training and get you started. And most commercial ranges will have a supply of guns on hand for rental, so that you can try out a few different kinds of guns and shooting styles before investing in one for ownership.

    If the idea of clay disks intrigues you, skeet shooting uses smaller, lighter shotguns than trap shooting. Lots of women shoot skeet. It’s just a question of whether you have a commercial skeet range nearby. If so, head over and watch for a bit. Then stop by the front office and inquire about beginner classes and gun rentals.
    Thanks. That sounds really cool.
    (and yes I do like the idea of clay disks)

    Yeah, it's easy enough to run down to the corner bowling alley and do the real thing. Also, there's a big socializing aspect to bowling in a league--a lot of beer-drinking with your buddies as you bowl, assuming you're not too cut-throat about winning.
    Hahaha I can picture this.

  5. #65
    RDF
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Oh gosh ...I couldn't ever hunt animals for sport either. i'm okay with other people hunting if it's an animal that's no where close to being endangered and they were going to eat/consume the animal for sure. I certainly wouldn't want to see that process though.

    I thought Fineline was talking about going to a shooting range.
    Yeah, I've never hunted animals. I wouldn't know what to do with the dead animal. I don't even go fishing, because I wouldn't know what to do with the catch.

    I just shoot targets and clay disks. I got my start in the military, then kept it up afterwards at commercial and private membership ranges.

  6. #66
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Yeah, I've never hunted animals. I wouldn't know what to do with the dead animal. I don't even go fishing, because I wouldn't know what to do with the catch.
    Ooh fishing... I like fishing and I used to clean them as a kid when I went with my Dad. It's quick and easy and there are probably tons of YouTube videos on how to do it.

  7. #67
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We degenerate into socializing, too, which probably doesn't help any of us stay focused on our characters. (Our DM tries to rein us in, but it is like herding cats.) Somehow, I have always played mages, except once, briefly, a cleric. Whenever I have considered branching out, none of the other players wanted to play a mage, so I did it again, so the party would have one.
    I did play as a black mage a long long time ago when I was playing FFXI, but it got really hard to get into a party to level once I went back to playing. Of all else, there was a load of damage dealers and not enough tanks and healers.

  8. #68
    S Saiyan God Mace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te
    Posts
    2,141

    Default

    I play certain video games for abit of escapism in my mind; not exactly a gamer. I find those that I play, such as Modern Warfare 2 (on Special Ops) or Resident Evil 5 get me feeling aroused to perform at my sharpest, which ultimately gives me self-confidence on determining how far I can go with my performance.

  9. #69
    Honor Thy Inferior Such Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    5,091

    Default

    I enjoy a wide variety of games. Board games, card games, and video games.

    I like games with some element of strategy to them, yet pure strategy games like chess tend to bore me. Probably because they move too slowly. I like games that are good balance between strategy and chance.

    Some of my favorites:

    Settlers of Catan

    Ticket to Ride

    Dominion

    Munchkin

    Party games like Apples to Apples.

    Word games like Scrabble and Boggle.

    Super Mario Bros

    Zelda

    Tetris

    Family Feud

    Bejeweled

    Minesweeper

    and many more

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    (as a random aside, I'm one of the only people I've met who cares almost nothing for the storyline, and usually skip by it if I can, or skim it at most. I can read a book for much more interesting stories- I want to be playing the game)
    Same here. I've been playing Zelda on the WII lately and I get annoyed by all of the cutscenes that I'm forced to read through and watch after I pass through a certain point. I'd rather just collect things, kill the monsters, and advance to the next level.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne




  10. #70
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default

    I usually get involved in the story so mostly RPG for me. And sometimes so many choices and dilemmas.

    And music sometimes is just incredible... Some themes from Gothic 2 or Plansescape Torment are beautiful.

    I love board-games also - they are great for socializing.
    Hot-hearted head

Similar Threads

  1. [ISTP] ISTPs. Come here. NOW.
    By HotpinkHeatwave in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
  2. [NT] ENTP/INTPs, come here. Now.
    By HotpinkHeatwave in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 08:09 AM
  3. First poll didn't work. Please come here, N's!
    By Into It in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
  4. F women - come here please
    By Jeffster in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
  5. T women - come here please
    By alicia91 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 02-22-2009, 03:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO