User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I ironically, I had opened this thread in a tab and intended to answer yesterday.....

And then I ended up getting sucked into a new game from the Steam sale, and played for about 6 hours straight.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    edit: I think there is a thread somewhere on type and mmo characters if you're interested.
    you mean like which type prefers which characters? If so, that's probably more detail about mmo's specifically than I can handle at this point, but type theory related to gaming overall is interesting to me.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I ironically, I had opened this thread in a tab and intended to answer yesterday.....

And then I ended up getting sucked into a new game from the Steam sale, and played for about 6 hours straight.
    I just bought two games there, played both for 20 mins and was dissappointed by both of them.

Which game got you going for 6 hours? :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Did you keep this up or did you go back to the types of characters you were familiar with?
    also, what types are the people you play with in your group?
    I did not keep it up, largely due to convenience and playability. Our campaigns go on sometimes for years, which means I keep the same character that long. In over 15 years of RPGs, I have thus had 6-7 characters. I experimented this way with my previous two characters, and found it very difficult to stay in character, and even to determine how the character might approach situations when I tried to think of it outside of the game, with plenty of time to reflect. This made my play lack spontaneity and be overthought and wooden. While I might gain something from continuing to work at it, the game flows better and is more enjoyable for everyone if I have a character I can play with more consistency and fluidity. So, my current character is actually a remake of my second and favorite character. I may revisit this experiment later, if the circumstances support it.

My current group includes an INTP (the DM), 2 ISTJs, ENTJ, ISTP, and myself. Another INTP moved away recently, and we occasionally have "guests" or short-term players, whose type I do not know. The ENTJ definitely stands out in the group. She brings props, and is by far the best at speaking/acting in character. The rest of us tend to describe what our character is doing; she shows it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I just bought two games there, played both for 20 mins and was dissappointed by both of them.

Which game got you going for 6 hours? :P
    Sanctum. FPS + Tower Defense game in 1. Got it for 3.75. Loving both singleplayer and coop.

Also, I bought Fable III but havent played it yet. I heard it sucks but, meh. I liked the original so Ill give it a go.

Everytime Steam has one of these sales I just go nuts... like... BUY ALLLLLL THE THINGS!!!!
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Sanctum. FPS + Tower Defense game in 1. Got it for 3.75. Loving both singleplayer and coop.

Also, I bought Fable III but havent played it yet. I heard it sucks but, meh. I liked the original so Ill give it a go.

Everytime Steam has one of these sales I just go nuts... like... BUY ALLLLLL THE THINGS!!!!
    Yeah, same here. Most games dissappoint though. I quite enjoyed Fable 3 myself, but the coop is pretty damn buggy. I'm still playing it occasionally just to get the achievements it's true the game doesn't really have replayability and is sort of just too short. I also got all the dlc, but they were a bit dissappoint too. Except maybe for the prison one. If you also bought all the dlc I could drop in your game sometime but only people with same dlc can play together. Pretty lame. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

RDF

Why don't you like shooting-type games? I'm pretty sure I'd like shooting-type games but only if they were shooting something other than people. lol I know I sound lame but I'm being honest.
    You can always buy a real gun, head to the range, and do some target shooting. You can't shoot people or zombies with irl shooting, but shooting at clay disks on the fly (shooting on skeet and trap ranges) is pretty exhilarating. And some areas have competitive shooting events or circuits as well. Other places offer combat courses.

Or there's paintball or laser tag for shooting games in a competitive/team setting.

I used to spend a lot of time at target ranges. But it's kind of an all-day event, especially when you throw in travel time and gun cleaning afterward. I'm thinking of looking at bowling leagues for my next big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I did not keep it up, largely due to convenience and playability. Our campaigns go on sometimes for years, which means I keep the same character that long. In over 15 years of RPGs, I have thus had 6-7 characters. I experimented this way with my previous two characters, and found it very difficult to stay in character, and even to determine how the character might approach situations when I tried to think of it outside of the game, with plenty of time to reflect. This made my play lack spontaneity and be overthought and wooden. While I might gain something from continuing to work at it, the game flows better and is more enjoyable for everyone if I have a character I can play with more consistency and fluidity. So, my current character is actually a remake of my second and favorite character. I may revisit this experiment later, if the circumstances support it.
    I rarely ever stayed in character while playing FFXI. I think it was because the people I interacted with were generally just more sociable over roleplaying. Then again, I don't think I ever roleplayed and rarely met people who roleplayed seriously.

The classes I played were generally
    Paladin - Tank class
    Beastmaster - Solo Class
    Samurai - Damage Dealing Class

But as a rule, since I was able to play one character and level every class, I really only needed 1 character for all those classes.

In terms of being an emotional outlet how satisfying is it?
    It is a leisure activity, something to just relax and have fun.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Rave View Post
    I rarely ever stayed in character while playing FFXI. I think it was because the people I interacted with were generally just more sociable over roleplaying. Then again, I don't think I ever roleplayed and rarely met people who roleplayed seriously.

The classes I played were generally
    Paladin - Tank class
    Beastmaster - Solo Class
    Samurai - Damage Dealing Class
    We degenerate into socializing, too, which probably doesn't help any of us stay focused on our characters. (Our DM tries to rein us in, but it is like herding cats.) Somehow, I have always played mages, except once, briefly, a cleric. Whenever I have considered branching out, none of the other players wanted to play a mage, so I did it again, so the party would have one.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    You can always buy a real gun, head to the range, and do some target shooting. You can't shoot people or zombies with irl shooting, but shooting at clay disks on the fly (shooting on skeet and trap ranges) is pretty exhilarating. And some areas have competitive shooting events or circuits as well. Other places offer combat courses.

Or there's paintball or laser tag for shooting games in a competitive/team setting.

I used to spend a lot of time at target ranges. But it's kind of an all-day event, especially when you throw in travel time and gun cleaning afterward. I'm thinking of looking at bowling leagues for my next big thing.
    What you said made me think. I realized that in order of preference I like:

1. The shooting games at carnivals (I love these!)
    2. Going to a shooting range IRL sounds fun but I don't feel the desire to buy a gun and I'd be slightly spooked.
    3. Playing a shooting video game

Also, I'm sure there's bowling video games, but the difference is you get to move your body more with real world sports vs virtual sports.