User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Banned

Playing games is one of my prefered leisure activites. I have played many many games and my favourite medium is the PC. I have no particularly prefered type of game although I am disinclined towards sports games which I find unimaginative. I play a lot. That's all you need to know.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I learned that fact while playing Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness.
    But I also learned that moldavia is very remote and once you get there it's a pain in the ass to leave. Hmm, *ponders*. But at least it's safe to sleep in the middle of the woods at Erana's beautiful garden!
    I loved Shadows of Darkness. (and the identity and fate of poor Katrina or Katrinka or whatever her name was..!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I loved Shadows of Darkness. (and the identity and fate of poor Katrina or Katrinka or whatever her name was..!)
    The entire game was epic and very well written. But yeah, Katrina's character is probably the most sorry I've ever felt for a game character. The rusalka was pretty sad as well, but that might've been my teen hormones talking.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?
    It depends on the game, but I've learned teamwork, communication with other types of people, how to read people.
    In creative games, we weave stories together to provide a satisfying narrative.
    Physical games can improve physical abilities and overall health.

Also, what kind of games do you enjoy playing the most and WHY?
    I'm not really sure which games I enjoy most. I like a variety of game, and so if I do one type for too long, I get bored with it and meanwhile feel a need to do other things. I also often don't have others to play games with, locally, so many games are individual computer games.

I do typically like games that engage my mind and provide choices about how to meet goals. I also enjoy games where my choices impact character development and storyline.

But... if I'm in a mood where I want to stop thinking and just respond to things, I really enjoy driving games or shooting games.

When other people are around, I like playing interactive games. Hearts, Spoons, Uno, Apples to Apples, Rummy Q, Quiddler, Pictionary, Clue, Dutch Blitz. (My kids and I always have had a lot of fun with those games.) On occasions when I wanted to invest brain power, I'd play Risk or chess or bridge.

For physical games, I'll play trampoline games, or frisbee/Ultimate, or spud, or throw a ball. On occasion, I'll play soccer or freezetag/capture the flag.

How many hours per week do you estimate you spend playing?
    I probably play games on Facebooks 5-6 hours a week.
    When I was playing Rift (a new popular MMO), I played probably 20-25 hours a week, but right now maybe only five hours a week.
    I'm on a pen-and-paper gaming schedule where, if we stick to schedule, we play probably five hours a week.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    When I learned about type theory, I realized that all my RPG characters were basically my own type. After that I made a conscious effort to design characters with significant differences, but I then found I was much less successful and comfortable playing them. Gaming is one of the few activities I do with a group, so it is a significant social outlet as well.
    Did you keep this up or did you go back to the types of characters you were familiar with?
    also, what types are the people you play with in your group?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Why don't you like shooting-type games? I'm pretty sure I'd like shooting-type games but only if they were shooting something other than people. lol I know I sound lame but I'm being honest.
    1 - no strategy involved (at least in the games I know of), which is the main (possibly only) appeal for me in games
    2 - I don't really like real-time games for the most part, I find them stressful rather than relaxing. I'd rather have time to sit and think about the best strategy rather than having to punch a thousand keys.
    3 - Most games require accurate and rapid hand-eye coordination which is not my strength, so I tend to do poorly and then get frustrated
    4 - the idea of shooting people even in a game really really really doesn't appeal to me, it's almost "gross" to me (perhaps interestingly, I think I would be ok with real-life hunting deer or something, although I've never tried it). I also don't like the gloomy/horror kind of atmosphere that is pretty common in those games.
    5 - probably as a result of all of the above factors, I've found every shooting game that I've tried to be mind-numbingly boring while also frustrating and stressful. Not at all entertaining. The only reason I play games is entertainment so.....

(that said, I have really enjoyed playing RTS and some MMOs, despite the real-time aspect. I especially like co-op real-time, which takes some of the stress off, and I find it more fun to be in a team for many games. Especially MMOs where teamwork is really the entire game for me. Most games are real-time since most people seem to prefer them, so there's not many decent alternatives. )

(as a random aside, I'm one of the only people I've met who cares almost nothing for the storyline, and usually skip by it if I can, or skim it at most. I can read a book for much more interesting stories- I want to be playing the game)
    -end of thread-

Banned

Although according to the first sample (640 points) plenty of INFPs and ENFJs in WOW.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?
    The detrimental effect that food with little nutritional value can have on the body when coupled with a sedentary lifestyle.

Also, what kind of games do you enjoy playing the most and WHY?
    MMORPGs, RTS's, and RPGs. The occasional FPS.

How many hours per week do you estimate you spend playing?
    Maybe 15 hours, give or take.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post

Although according to the first sample (640 points) plenty of INFPs and ENFJs in WOW.
    Are these for real or did you just make them up?
    What's up with the ENFJs?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I have a strong preference for healers in MMOs, with a secondary preference for range DPS, because I'm a pansy. If you want a datapoint from someone who was never really hardcore anyway (and also never played wow) :P

Not sure what the wow characters are but I played the warhammer mmo for maybe a year, and my favourite was the disciple (basically dark warrior priest). Solid healing and decent damage for a healer, I liked having the option for either. I have heard (and experienced) that females disproportionately prefer healer characters, for whatever reason, although certainly that's no more than a rough trend, with plenty of overlap.

edit: I think there is a thread somewhere on type and mmo characters if you're interested.
    -end of thread-