First 23456 Last

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    achievement is subjective.
    What I mean to say is that, now that I am no longer part of those communities, the achievements I made inside of them are meaningless. Unlike achievements in life that stick with you until you die. The achievements in the gaming world are fleeting.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I haven't had much luck finding newer games I enjoy. It seems like most decent newer releases are all FPS or other shooting-type games which I have less than zero interest in.
    Why don't you like shooting-type games? I'm pretty sure I'd like shooting-type games but only if they were shooting something other than people. lol I know I sound lame but I'm being honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I would also like to add that any and all achievements made in games do not hold real value.

I have been ranked first in the world out of a half a million player database while playing action quake 2.

In WoW, I have devised boss strategy tactics that became the standard world wide and played my own class beyond the limits of what was considered possible, topping damage done charts and the likes no one had seen and taking on roles that weren't the standard, and I've ranked top ten in a player vs player arena season in the 5vs5 bracket while playing four of the five characters simultaniously myself.

In each respective gaming environment, these feets were held in high regard, and whilest achieving them I felt genuinly good about them. But I can tell you this stuff and you're like. So what, lol, it's just a game.

And that's just the truth. You can't 'achieve' anything in games, and when you think you do, they don't actually hold any real value other than a memory and an added thought that mentions how much freaking time you've put into getting them, yikes !

(Unless you are very lucky and find sponsors and can actually earn a living playing games maybe. But that's not something you can just go and get. :P)
    Do sponsors for gaming exist?

It's true that I wouldn't know what any of those gaming achievements mean but that's only because i am not a gamer. There are lots of subjects I don't know anything about that I would not know what the high achievements in those subjects are. Also, isn't the gaming world huge and always growing? Maybe one day they'll start broadcasting gaming tournaments live to the general public like they do sporting events.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Do sponsors for gaming exist?

It's true that I wouldn't know what any of those gaming achievements mean but that's only because i am not a gamer. There are lots of subjects I don't know anything about that I would not know what the high achievements in those subjects are. Also, isn't the gaming world huge and always growing? Maybe one day they're start broadcasting gaming tournaments live to the general public like they do sporting events.
    Yup, it started with Starcraft I suppose, tournaments held with prize money and such, very big in asian countries too, nowadays there are quite a few games that sponsor players, but it requires full dedication to keep up with it, it requires a full understanding of a game's mechanics and the ability to use that knowledge combined with good reaction time and strategy to be the best of the best.

I suppose you can compare it to doing sports or trying to go for the olympics. If you want a gold medal in the olympics, you need to train and hone your body constantly and repetatively. You could also casually compete in those sports for fun ofcourse, but never be able to compete on a high level. Gaming and game sponsoring is the same. You become part of the game as the sportsman becomes part of their sport.

A few games I know that sponsor are Starcraft and Heroes of Newerth that house tournaments and such, but it's also done in WoW, but only on a very low top percentile. The best guild in the world kinda thing. :P

And these gamers don't make millions. There might be a few that can get by, but that's probably about it.

I know one player in Heroes of Newerth that was pretty smart though, being one of the best players in that community and known for it, he streams his playing online and makes quite a bit of money from the ads on his site and such from people watching his movie streams in order to hone their own skills. :P

Anyway, gamers that get sponsored don't make millions, but in some cases, they can earn a living and then devote that life completely to that one game. Getting their PC hardware and living expenses covered. But it won't make them rich. :P

And there are tournaments with prize money in the thousands of dollars they can participate in.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

What I mean to say is that, now that I am no longer part of those communities, the achievements I made inside of them are meaningless. Unlike achievements in life that stick with you until you die. The achievements in the gaming world are fleeting.
    Aren't achievements in life exactly the same? You do until you die and then it means nothing.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm guessing the reason it's not millions is because there are no stadiums to fill with spectators who pay for tickets and memorabilia like in sports.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm guessing the reason it's not millions is because there are no stadiums to fill with spectators who pay for tickets and memorabilia like in sports.
    Who knows, in 10 years or so, what the gaming industry might bring.

I know the tournaments I used to play back in the day didn't have much prize money, I once won a mousepad in an quake 2 tournament back in '98 xD . And in 10 years that has gone up into the thousands of dollars. As the market for people watching these tournaments grows for certain competative games, so might the money involved.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?

Also, what kind of games do you enjoy playing the most and WHY?

How many hours per week do you estimate you spend playing?

PS - when answering please keep in mind that I'm not a gamer.

Thank you.
    Geography, from all those conqour the world type strategy games. Can't honestly say that I new where moldovia was before I played medieval total war.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Who knows, in 10 years or so, what the gaming industry might bring.

I know the tournaments I used to play back in the day didn't have much prize money, I once won a mousepad in an quake 2 tournament back in '98 xD . And in 10 years that has gone up into the thousands of dollars. As the market for people watching these tournaments grows for certain competative games, so might the money involved.
    Exactly.

Do they make the games you like in Dutch?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Exactly.

Do they make the games you like in Dutch?
    Nah, games made to fit the language are usually educational games for schools and such. Not much quality there. And games that come out in both english as well as dutch languages are usually much better in english anyway. I don't like the dutch language myself. I even prefer to think in English. XD

There are some renowned dutch gaming developers but they make their games in english, to serve a larger audience. Which is quite natural.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Geography, from all those conqour the world type strategy games. Can't honestly say that I new where moldovia was before I played medieval total war.
    I learned that fact while playing Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness.

But I also learned that moldavia is very remote and once you get there it's a pain in the ass to leave. Hmm, *ponders*. But at least it's safe to sleep in the middle of the woods at Erana's beautiful garden! Stay out of the lake though. Beautiful naked babe is a trap!