User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Also, what kind of games do you enjoy playing the most and WHY?
    I play mostly traditional pen/paper RPGs, specifically a modified version of D&D. Infrequently I play board games like Scrabble or Pictionary, just as a social activity. With the right group, these can be surprisingly entertaining.

Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?
    I don't exactly learn from RPGs, if anything it is more like skill development. I get to exercise my imagination and creativity in different ways, and try to understand how different kinds of people might see things in different situations. It need to think on my feet, make do with less than optimal solutions (after all, it's only a game!), and at least try to stay in character.

When I learned about type theory, I realized that all my RPG characters were basically my own type. After that I made a conscious effort to design characters with significant differences, but I then found I was much less successful and comfortable playing them. Gaming is one of the few activities I do with a group, so it is a significant social outlet as well.

How many hours per week do you estimate you spend playing?
    My RPG group meets on average every other week. Add prep time/research, and it probably averages to 4 hrs/wk.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

In terms of being an emotional outlet how satisfying is it?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?
    Depends on the kind.

Games in general (though some more than others) demand a kind of logical thinking to be played well that I believe is very valuable, so I take it as a way to keep my mind sharp. The field of game theory is a good tool for seeing how the kind of strategic choices we might make while playing a game are really the same as the ones we make with gravely serious matters.

I perhaps take it one step further in that I can never resist modifying games, adding and playing variants to them. I am also constantly inventing new games in my head. It's a fascinating process of constructing and deconstructing concepts.

Physically, games only really contribute if I'm playing athletic sports. I rarely ever plays those, but I'd really like to. I don't exactly need it, though, because I workout and I'm in good shape as it is.

Games do result in the majority of my social interaction. Not only does it create and excuse to come together, but it makes and easy topic of conversation and things lead from there. Usually there is much laughter when I play games with people, and in those gatherings there are almost always breaks where I talk to people about current events, or some philosophical idea I came up with, or some strange zoological fact, etc..

That's tough. Given the chance I will play just about any kind. Video games, board games, sports.

In terms of actual opportunity, I used to play video games the most by far, but now they are about tied with board games. Again, I rarely play sports, though I'd like to.
    I'm not sure that I enjoy any form more than the other, but I do enjoy different genres within that.

The video games I enjoy most are probably fighters, or vs games. The ones where you have maybe two to four complex, unique characters fight each for a few rounds or so. Most people know Mortal Kombat, though it really kind of sucks. Others are like Street Fighter, Soul Caliber, etc... Samurai Showdown might be my favorite of that genre. Super Smash Brothers is a very modified member of the genre.
    I like them because they involve me more than other games, and I feel like they involve more direct application of skill than a lot of other genres (First Person Shooters gives them a run, though). There's a lot of fun in only competing against one or maybe a few human opponents and nothing else (I am a competitive person). I also feel like there's more depth in ratio to breadth in fighters than other genres. A few details go a long way. RPGs often strike me as having a lot of breadth but no depth, nothing beneath the surface, you see it the first time, you've seen all you ever need to see.

Pokemon is a big exception with RPGs, though. Those games are ingenious. A lot of breadth and depth. For someone that likes testing, configuring, and exploring things a lot like myself, Pokemon is great fun.

I really like sandboxish games, though they tend to be terribly imperfect. Those are games with a lot of creative control for the player and possibly lacking in a forced goal or actual competition. Black & White and Spore come to mind. They just appeal to my desire to build and create.

God, I haven't even gotten to the other kinds of games yet! It's really hard for me to answer this. I really like games .

If that includes all forms of games, I'd guess I play about 6 hours a week. Before I was employed or working on college, there had been a time where that was probably closer to 30-35 hours a week.

PS - when answering please keep in mind that I'm not a gamer.

Thank you.
    Some of the things I said probably didn't make any sense, if not most of it...
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 07-12-2011 at 10:15 PM.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

That is hard to assess. I don't consciously use it as an emotional outlet; I have other pursuits for that.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

I don't know how it works for first-person shooters like Call of Duty or games like GTA, probably related to releasing aggression or something but I don't know---I'm not the aggressive type. Though If you focus on dialogue and role-playing games like I do, it's pretty ok. I enjoy experimenting with different attitudes that I can't display heavily in real life like being extremely rude to a character, talking about annihilating the entire race of a companion who is beside me, killing an old companion, and other things that I just wouldn't normally do. To be specific, I'm thinking of games like Arcanum or Dragon Age. I think Real life is much more effective because there's more variables and uncertainties but then again, in my case, "emotional outlet"-ness depends on who you're talking to and what he or she can share. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure I understand what "emotional outlet" means. For me, it means exploration.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

While playing World of Warcraft, I learned lot about leadership and group organizing. I used to lead a guild of 100 roleplayers. I watched it grow, evolve, wither and struggle.
    From online shooter games, I've learned much about Game Theory. That is, in order to win one has to outthink than his opponent. I got really good at that. Quite often I won just by outthinking my opponent, and it made me look like I was cheating. But once you learn that 50% of time someone is hiding behind a particular door, you tend to throw a grenade there, even thought you wouldn't see anyone. Looks like you'd be using a wallhack (a cheat that allows you to see through walls), but it's just pure experience at work.

Also, I felt as if I had found some higher truth when it comes to competition in team sports. For example, I learned that in a game of even sized teams, each team member has one opponent they should look after. If they fail to do so, his team mate is left in 2vs1 situation which he's sure to lose. That further sets the teams uneven, leaving yet another player in 2vs1 situation. Suddenly this becomes like a domino effect and creates an illusion of a much much more stronger enemy.

I've applied these lessons in football, in which I play the role of a defender. If the defening team has players that are not guarding a specific opponent, they are not actually participating the game, and thus give the opponent an unfair advantage in numbers. For every lone player in your team, there's a lone opponent on the other team. This sounds like a simple thing, but it actually makes a huge difference in the sense of tactics.

Magic: The Gathering (it's a collectible card game with very high complexity) has taugth me the philosophy of our times. Our parents and their parents lived their lives in a culture of scarsity. Salaries were lower, everything more expensive and things were meant to last, unlike in our culture where everything has to be changed in cycles of few years. Electronics we pay hundreds of dollars/euros for get out-dated in 5 years, and we just get ourselves some new ones. We live in a culture of abundance. We have choices in such a numbers that we are being swamped by them. Where as our grandparents had to learn to save things and recycle everything they had to save money, we only recycle to avoid the huge trash piles. The lesson I learned is that no matter how many awesome cards you have, you can't have all of them in one deck. In Magic: The Gathering, each player has a deck of 60 cards, at minimum. First, you might think that having a larger deck would be better, but it's the opposite because smaller deck means a reduced randomnity. The toughest part of building a Magic deck is to learn which cards you can live without. This also teaches you the philosophy of our lives. You have to learn which things you can drop out of your life. It is vital, since we are constantly being swamped by abundance of stuff. Treating your life as a deck of Magic makes it easier to realize what are the things that you really need in your life.

Of course, having been playing all my life, I've learned much of my english skills from the games.

I like many kinds of games. I used to be really hooked to World of Warcraft, because it was socially and mentally rewarding. I so loved developing my character, roleplaying it and socializing with my friends on the net.
    Also, the shooter games are fun for the competitiviness. They are simple, fast and easy to get into, like any competitive sport should be. I dislike overtly complex games.
    Football I like also for it's competetive nature. It's also a great form of excercise.
    Board games are really great for social situations. You can play them comfortably on a kitchen table while having some drinks and snacks and socialize with the players. A good boargame is one that is simple yet hard to win. German board games do this well.
    Party games (singing, guitar playing, motion capture games, wii games, etc) are also fun for social situations involving drinking.
    As a game developer, I also like to play games to see why they are popular. It's fun to pick up the latest hit game and try to find out what are the elements that made it so good.

Very difficult question. Football I play maybe 3 hours a week. Also, as part of my job, I have to play games every then and now at work. When meeting with friends, I like to play few games of some board/card games. But sadly I haven't been able to play on PC for a long time. That's probably due to time issues. Time consuming single-player games on PC suddenly feel like such a waste. There's little social aspects or new to learn.

PS - when answering please keep in mind that I'm not a gamer.

Why you not a gamer and what do you mean by not being a gamer? Do you mean that you never play games? Atleast from where I come from, everyone plays games. Be it a mobile game, sports, board game, facebook game or a video game.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I can't say that I am a gamer. I never got into it. This discussion is interesting though. Maybe I'll play sometime.

RDF

I grew up playing card games, board games, pinball machines, and then poker. As for video games, I was already an adult when Pong, Space Invaders, and Asteroids first came along. I quite enjoyed the early arcade games. But by the time Donkey Kong and the first Mario Brothers arcades came along, I was getting a little bored with video games and pretty much gave them up.

A couple years ago, however, I was reading a book about cultural trends to follow for the future, and it pointed out that modern culture has become fragmented for the younger generation. When young people are given tests on current culture, there is no one book, movie, or TV show that enjoys 100% name recognition among young people. However, that changes when it comes to video games: 100% of young people at least recognize the names of the most popular video games and/or have played them personally. Partly on this basis, this particular author said that to understand young people and evolving culture, you have to at least sample video games.

So partly for that reason I’ve been checking out video games lately. I’ve divided the games into about 8-10 main categories of video games, and I’m trying to check out 1 or 2 games per category. That ranges from so-called “life simulation games” for children, where you create a character and try to keep it alive (“The Sims”), to “casual/puzzle video games” that you play in short bursts on small hand-held game devices or smart phones (“Angry Birds,” “Tetris,” “Minesweeper”), and through the various fighter, shooter, strategy, and action/adventure games to the MMORPGs.

BTW, the following link is to a Wall Street journal article about the category of “casual video games,” how they work, why they’re so fun/addictive, etc. Testing has shown that people’s moods are improved after playing them (not suprisingly), and testing is even being done to see if they might help people with depression.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...111605862.html

I think that’s the main thing one gets from playing games: A little burst of fun. But games can be instructive too. Think of flight simulators used for training pilots or combat simulators for training cops.

As for video games, one of the most interesting things I’ve seen so far was the Auction House system in "World of Warcraft." Characters in the games are encouraged to cultivate crafts, make products, or collect raw materials and then sell them on the game’s Auction House, to be purchased by other players who need those products (and who sell things on the Auction House that you need in return). Prices for all the different products on the Auction House are set by supply and demand. It's a good simulation of a genuine market system, and it was fun to see what events moved the market, or to try to corner the market in certain products, etc.

In any case, I think that’s what has interested me about modern video games--the variety and creativity of the experiences they offer. They’ve come a long way from Pong, Asteroids, and Donkey Kong.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I mostly play one-player games that have fantasy elements and are atmospheric (preferably without a lot of killing). I like puzzle games where you 'talk' to characters and figure out what they want. It feeds my imagination. I also like to discover how the games are designed and figure out strategies on how to progress quickly. Games where you build things are also fun, too, especially if it gives you quite a lot of freedom in the process.

Apart from these 'serious' games, I also enjoy the occasional point-and-click ('escape from this room'-style online flash games), especially if it's atmospheric.
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I used to be more of a casual gamer, but other priorities took precedence. I have a ps3 and a wii. I still play every now and then, but not like I once did.
    I guess the most hardcore game I tried was tf2, and I actually got pretty good at it. I've recently started playing battlefield a little.....
    I played wow for awhile, and was actually guilded here and again, but guilds were not my thing. I disliked raiding, and I learned to deeply dislike wow.
    I play all kinds of games..... even the silly ones like hello kitty games. I love cute little games like harvest moon.

I suppose my favorite silly game ever was chibi robo. Love it.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype