User Tag List

First 8910

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Love this game. We had a routine Friday game night for some time, and played with the Seafarers and Cities and Knights expansions. Unfortunately, after a while our differing play styles started to make the games less harmonious. My ENFJ girlfriend and ISTJ friend would move rather quickly, and didn't implement much strategy, but my IsTP friend and I would spend quite some time plotting our moves. It got to the point where it was simply a question of whether the IsTP would win or I would, and the ENFJ and ISTJ stopped enjoying it.
    Year or two ago I used to play this game quite often too.. I had (all?) three expansions too. I liked to optimization aspect of the game, but I felt the gameplay was too restricting. Having the best starting place quite often was enough to secure your win, because changing/adapting strategies was just painfully slow.

Another similar game is Dominion. For the first two games I thought the game was awesome. And then I realized how boring game it is. There's next to zero interaction with players, most of the cards are hopelessly imbalanced. I've won about 90% of games I've played of this, mostly because of ruthless abuse of imbalanced cards.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    infp

I'm not exactly sure if I would describe any gaming I do as being a learning experience... it isn't intended to be educational, so any learning that occurs is incidental. I'm sure I've realized interesting things while playing video games -perhaps something in the game clicked my thought process into just the right place for a new idea to be born. And I've certainly learned a lot about video games playing games hahaha

My favourite games tend to be Nintendo's in house games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Star Fox, ect. I grew up on N64, then bought a Gamecube. I've played tonnes of games on the other consoles that I thought were really fun, but I never owned any of them, so they don't stand out as much to me. I also love real time strategy games like Age of Empires 2 and Age of Mythology -the strategy is fun, and I absolutely love exploiting the cheat codes in these games . What I'm somewhat of a meta-gamer for lack of a better term. I'm not interested in immersion and the illusion that I am actually participating in the game world. I like understanding the mechanics of the game and exploiting them to achieve the goal of the game. Platforming games generally suit this the best. Because, for example, the world of Mario was created and designed solely to be a fun environment for a video game, everything in it is worth exploring and is part of the fun I get from video games. On the other hand, a game like GTA where the world is designed to resemble the real world is only fun for me if I am doing things that are completely impossible in real life, which essentially destroys the illusion of it being real at all and brings it in to meta-gaming territory (everyone does that in GTA though...). The strategy games are also fun because I enjoy tactical thinking and resource management, but I always reach a point in the game where I just decide to do something a bit ridiculous and spoil the game hahaha. I love Zelda because the game is super fun, the mythology is really cool, especially at face value. I love the Legend of Zelda mythology because when you look at it in depth, it makes absolutely no sense at all. There is no real continuity, it is a confusing mess an every time a new game is released it gets worse. This is because they didn't seem to really think about the over arching story until recently, so it is a clusterfuck after 25 years. I love this because the stories are really cool, but they also give plenty of space to my sort of distant, unimmersed approach to gaming.

I love video games, but I don't play them that much cause I love playing music and devote all my time to that. I probably play 3 hours a week... some weeks more, some less.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Aside from entertainment reasons, what things (physical, mental, social etc) do you learn from gaming?
    english
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

C&C:TW&KW; QL
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    english
    Word. I was playing text based adventure games from the age of 4 or 5 on the PC. Long before I got english in school. At no point in my school history did I ever need to study or even give much thought during English classes (apart from stuff like old english or actual english words like 'the tube' and english spelling like -our instead of -or. Games tend to be in american english after all.)
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Here's a great article by Magic's head developer about lessons learned from gaming.

Live Like a Gamer : Daily MTG : Magic: The Gathering
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Word. I was playing text based adventure games from the age of 4 or 5 on the PC. Long before I got english in school. At no point in my school history did I ever need to study or even give much thought during English classes (apart from stuff like old english or actual english words like 'the tube' and english spelling like -our instead of -or. Games tend to be in american english after all.)
    Well my english is more limited. It basically all evolved around "Fire in the hole" or "I'll take point"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]