User Tag List

123 Last

Post How do you feel about the future of gaming?

With the way it is now where you have to swim through a mountain of wankware to find a diamond in the rough? I've always been attracted to games with a competitive element whether it be 2D-Fighting, Puzzle, Multiplayer-FPS. I like either having my brain stimulated or put up against another in a button pressing duel but I feel like something is being lost in the graphical advancements. I prefer pixels over vector and 3D art. They feel too.... cartoony, less.... mature. Not that mario or pac-man ever made me feel like an adult but even games trying to appeal to a mature audience these days make me feel a little stupid. I'm not looking for a cinema-esque experience with surround sound and graphics that make my eyes bleed in the middle of a gangbang of tutorials and unskippable dialog. I don't want to be told I should lock myself in the basement with a M.A.M.E cabinet either. I just feel they're putting more effort into the sales appeal than the games.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I feel that the quality of FPS games has stopped improving over the past few years. Ok, so Quake/Quake II were also dead boring in single player mode, but these games are increasingly associated with a 'been there done that' feeling, despite how pretty some of them may look. I think our standards have become increasingly tough, so we need some completely fresh ideas to make these games continue to be worth playing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm tired of the so-called "high-quality" FPS (and some of those third-person shooters that are more console friendly) games being Call of Duty clones or military vs. aliens. And I really don't like multiplayer, it makes video games seem more like sports than artforms. I never understood the appeal of it. Now if more modern FPSes could be more like Bulletstorm, then they'd be a lot more fun to play.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

There are plenty of games that are amazing out there, but I've seen very little improvement over time. Games are being made less clunky, but more limiting. You won't notice the reduction in clunkiness until you play the older games, and it barely matters. It's like we're moving from WMP to Zune. FPS's are listening to the community too much, they're moving away from that now I think, we'll see with BF3 and MW3.
    5 3 9

Enneagram
    CFV

Skyrim is coming out in November.
    That's pretty much the only game on my mind.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's pretty much better than its ever been. There's always been more bad than good games, people just forget about the bad ones of the past.

The one issue I don't like, which will likely disappear soon, is the workload dedicated to graphics. Even indie platformers spend most of their effort on graphics. Nothing especially bad, but it means games with a lot of breadth or depth are much rarer at the moment, since they aren't economically viable with modern graphical costs. It'll stop soon, since the demand for and costs of better graphics are both dropping.

1994-2004 has been the era that produced almost all of my favourite games, but all signs point to a lot more being produced when the graphics race settles down. Other than that, games have improved in every dimension, and more are being produced than ever before. Even interactive texts, simulators and other genres rarely in the limelight, and though games with old styled graphics aren't made in the same quantity, they are still made.

The current mod communities have got to be my favourite thing about gaming and where it's going.

EDIT: I think people in this thread are focusing on the very most mainstream of games (that aren't facebook or mobile ones). There are countless outside of it that these criticisms simply don't apply to (and that's the vast majority of current games, too, they just aren't as marketed or famous).

The current state of the gaming industry is entirely reflective of today's culture and its infatuation with presentation and eye candy as opposed to anything with any sort of real substance or depth to it; It's all one giant marketing scheme in which everything has become an an accessory to a more expensive separate, yet related product(HD TV's, Subscription based gaming, ect). The emphasis is no longer on the product itself, but how this product is merely a key component, or at least they'd like you to believe that, to something else.

Not only that, but games in general have been just, for lack of better wording, dumbed down, homogenized, and lack any sort of originality, just like everything else. The game is no longer marketed around its fully immersive story line or its countless hours of user experience and replay value, but instead it's simply advertised based around how cutting edge its graphics are in comparison to it's competitors and the industry standard. Basically they just try to overload you with various types of sensory stimuli to distract you from just how bland and repetitive the actual game itself is. Until the innovative push branches away from the graphics and mass marketability departments, I don't see much changing, for the better(Well, at least my view of it).

MBTI
    ISTx

I still want to play L.A. Noir.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I completely agree with you. Ofcourse there is something to be said about the fact that the standard keeps being put higher and higher. There was once a time Alleycat was considered a huge arcade rpg game! (*cough*)

Anyhow, games are too often rushed into completion, unfinished, too short, qualitatively lame. And the coming of MMORPG's and a much more console oriented market for single player or smaller multiplayer games has limited a lot of developpers as well. I fear this trend will continue for some time, with occasionally a company putting out a game worth your while. But even then, there will likely be parts of it that could've been much better without the politics going on around developping games.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Arkham City...

Annnnnnd that's pretty much it for me.