• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movie about Carl Jung & Freud

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm nerdily excited that there's a movie about Carl Jung coming out later this year. I doubt Psychological Types will play a role in it though :D

It's called A Dangerous Method, and according to IMDB:
A look at how the intense relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud gives birth to psychoanalysis.

Wikipedia:
Set on the eve of the World War I, A Dangerous Method is based on the turbulent relationships between fledgling psychiatrist Carl Jung, his mentor Sigmund Freud, and Sabina Spielrein, the troubled but beautiful young woman who comes between them.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ7JKmcLTsI"]A Dangerous Method Trailer[/YOUTUBE]

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, I've been excited about this for a while. However, when I saw the trailer I was a bit worried it was going to be too much about Freud's obsession with hysterical women with 'sexual issues'. :bored:

Cronenberg is a good director, so I hold hope that it will be a decent film.

Luv Deluxe

Step into my office.
MBTI Type
NiSe
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I will probably end up seeing this. I like Cronenberg, and I like psychology (even in a broader context), so for now at least I'm pretty excited.

Elfa

Señora Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I didn't know about this movie until I read your post... Now I want to see it! :D

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds like it could be great, and it's got Viggo Mortensen and Keira Knightley, among others... :)

Odyne

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Woah, there is a movie for this?
Definitely going to see it!

Thanks for sharing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
, when I saw the trailer I was a bit worried it was going to be too much about Freud's obsession with hysterical women with 'sexual issues'. :bored:

Actually I think it's a completely valid thing to point out, because Freud wasn't quite visionary enough to notice that the reason why those women were "hysterical" is because they were being repressed and abused, and they had sexual issues because they were being married off by their fathers to old men they didn't find attractive, and weren't satisfied sexually because their husbands thought women weren't supposed to like sex.

He did introduce the idea of manipulation of the womb, which in normal terms means using a vibrator to get off.

They could illustrate his beliefs and see how he picked up on it, because it was a fact, but to show how it because of sociological historical conditions, not because anything innate to women.

Penis envy comes from being told that men are better than you and are allowed to have their own money and property, and you aren't. The envy was real, but had less to do with penises, and more to do with social conditions.

They could potentially clear that up in the movie, even subtley.

colourscientist

the trailer looks pretty flat & stuffy, feels like another cliché biopic. way too formal. (i loove psychology so i hope it will be good anyway) but the poster is awesome, so much like silence of the lambs'.

R

Riva

Typing characters based on the characterization of them -

The other thread should be merged with this one.

I enjoyed it. I didn’t watch it that intently, however I noticed it seemed to “move” quickly in terms of the time scales so it had a quick pace to it. I always enjoy stories about competing personalities and movements, especially scientific ones. One likes to think that in science, “truth” is the final arbiter of a successful theory or model, but it can often be a wonderfully dramatic, personal, political process, as this film shows.

For the typings, I’m going by how they were displayed in the movie:

Jung: INFJ
Freud: ISTJ
Spielrein: ISTP
Mrs. Jung: ISFJ
Otto Gross: ENTP

Otto Gross was an ExTP it hurts. Infact -

In Jung's monumental work Psychological Types, all of chapter VI, The Type Problem in Psychopathology, analyzes and reconciles Gross's theory as expressed in Die zerebrale Sekundärfunktion (1902) and Über psychopathische Minderwertigkeit (1903).
Gross deserves full credit for being the first to set up a simple and consistent hypothesis to account for this [the extraverted] type (Jung, [1921] 1971: par. 466).

I'm both comfortable and uncomfortable typing Otto as an ENTP. The issue is he is such an hedonist and when it comes to hedonistic ENTP they could often be confused with ESTPs. When an ENTP reaches a certain sense of complete freedom and independence the primary focus of Ne turns into seeking Se - if that even makes any sense? - and Ne and Se appears to merge. Gross seems to have crossed that freedom border. This freedom makes them irritably irresponsible as seen in Gross but he was living by his theory so who am I to judge/comment?

He probably was an ENTP in real life too.

Jung in the movie was probably an INFJ over INTP. He seems quite J. He had a psychological breakdown and was heavily affected by the falling out of friendship with Freud and taking the context of it it suggests INFJ. Hmm.. maybe the context of it blurs things and I shouldn't have used that word.

Freud in the movie had a 'P' vibe but the rest I'm not confident to type. Viggo Mortensen looked really good playing an old man, that I can say. I'm proud of myself for guessing who the actor was which I usually suck at. My ESTP sister would have been proud.

spielrein was an obvious ENFP, what made you see her as an ISTP :huh:? freud was obviously EXTJ(leaning towards N) in the movie, jung didnt seem like INFJ in the movie either, but i agree with mrs. jung and otto

Spielrein did come across as an ENFP.

Owlesque

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched this last week. Fassbender and Mortensen played off each other very well (or I suppose badly, given the outcome of the plot). I enjoyed it, but I probably won't watch it again - the affair quickly got tedious for me.

S

Sniffles

I watched this last week. Fassbender and Mortensen played off each other very well (or I suppose badly, given the outcome of the plot). I enjoyed it, but I probably won't watch it again - the affair quickly got tedious for me.

I agree. The film should've focused more on the battle of minds between Freud and Jung. Heck, the entire film could've been that.