• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No-cut policies for school extracurricular activities

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in since no-cut policies can also apply to activities other than sports but I put it in the Sports and Games forum because this forum could use more activity.

I went to a large, competitive high school known for its excellence in numerous programs ranging from sports to music to theatre. You had to try out for almost every extracurricular activity and many people got 'cut' because they weren't good enough. Heck people even got cut from debate team!

I would have loved to have gone to a smaller high school that wasn't so intensely competitive, where I could have freely participated in just about any activity I desired to without looking like a complete fool.

What do you think about schools implementing a no-cut policy for extracurricular activities? That is, anybody who wants be on a certain sports team, school play, etc. will get to do so?

Here's a list of arguments outlining the pros and the cons of the issue:

http://www.cwu.edu/~jefferis/framed.html

One of the biggest arguments against the no-cut policy is that not making the team or getting a part in the school play prepares one to better handle disappointments that are inevitable in the real world. While I see their point, having a no-cut policy by no means ill prepares students to deal with the sometimes harsh reality. What about students who don't get into the college of their choice, fail a test, or get turned down for a date to the prom? There's no way to completely shield anyone from disappointments. Students- especially middle and high school are already at a highly vulnerable stage in their lives. Why add to it?

The real reason I'm greatly in favor of having no-cut policies for schools is that I believe that extra-curricular activities are a good way to become a well rounded individual by building self-confidence and character. They are a way for students to immerse themselves in something constructive rather than doing activities that could have potentially harmful consequences like drugs or unprotected sex or just playing video games all day.

With the increasing rate of childhood obesity, sports can be the ticket to getting kids more in shape if they find one they enjoy playing. Drama and speech can help shy kids get out of their shell. Many activities provide opportunity for leadership. With most extracurricular activities, you need to practice to get good so you also get the benefit of self-discipline. And interestingly enough, making the team doesn't shield you from disappointments. If anything, it can actually help you in a way because your team probably won't win every game, you might not be first string, etc.

Besides, whatever just happened to having fun? Why must schools feel the pressure to be so competitive and always be the best? Must that be more important than denying students to opportunity to pursue what they're interested in just because they might not be the best at it?

Some students are late bloomers and a poor performance at a tryout is not always an accurate indicator of their potential. Sure some students may have more natural talent and some may have to expend more effort but shouldn't all students be given the opportunity to try?

There's kind of a catch-22 in play. The students who aren't as athletically endowed, smaller in size, late developing boys, etc are most likely the ones that don't make the team. As a result, they get denied the opportunity to play and fall even further behind athletically because they aren't getting the change to play. So the following year when they tryout again the odds end up being even more against them.

One downside I do see to a no-cut policy though is even if you make the team, school play, etc., you might not actually get to play much or you might have a very minor part. Sure you're on the team but what fun is it if you're on the bench most of the time? Or if you're in a school play but you're only on the stage for a very small part of the show?

Ideally, I'd like the no-cut policy taken a step further and measures taken to make sure that everyone gets at least a fair amount of playing time. If more schools did this, then the playing field would even itself out. Self-esteem would rise and more students would actually feel like they are contributing something. It still wouldn't totally be equal though. I'm still in favor of giving the best actors the leading roles and the top players in the most key positions but it would be a step in the right direction.

My high school drama program was intensely competitive but they did award persistence. They wouldn't allow students to be turned away more than three times. Eventually the student would be placed in some role. It may not be much but if they really wanted to be in a school play and were willing to keep trying, they would get something.

Thoughts?

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Strongly, strongly against. Competition is both part of life and honestly really fun!

However, I like how the universities do it - intramurals (often at various levels) for everyone, but you have to try out for the inter-university competitive team. A high school might not have the numbers to do that, but there could easily be a "soccer club", especially if it's school-organized. There were a number of clubs for nonathletics at my high school, like drama, choir, band, yearbook committee, etc where nobody was cut. For the school musical you had to try out for the solo parts but anyone could be in the chorus (so I was). And so on.

At most decent schools there will be tons and tons and tons of extracurriculars that don't require trying out, in addition to the ones that do.

So in other words, a mix gives you the best of both worlds. Casual recreation-type activities and more competitive environments. Something for everyone.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Against. Competition is good and sports is one area where it's organized and low-stakes for kids. Those who don't find the competitive aspect of sports fun but still want to play sports can still play during recess or outside of school.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Against. Competition is good and sports is one area where it's organized and low-stakes for kids. Those who don't find the competitive aspect of sports fun but still want to play sports can still play during recess or outside of school.

But there may not always be the right number of kids that are interested in playing a certain game at recess. Besides recess is like 20-30 minutes- hardly enough time to get a good game going. By the time you gather everyone and figure out who's gonna play what its just about time to go back inside. You get maybe what- 5-10 minutes of playing if you're lucky.

Yes there are opportunities for certain types of activities outside of school but people aren't always made aware enough of them. Perhaps a middle ground would be to have cuts for certain activities but with those being cut directed to a list of places outside of school where they can pursue the activity of their choice without worrying about being cut.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's also B teams at school and leagues outside of school too. Anyone could start a league and make whatever rules they want, I'm sure. You could advertise at the schools.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's also B teams at school and leagues outside of school too. Anyone could start a league and make whatever rules they want, I'm sure. You could advertise at the schools.

My school did have B teams and the like but because my school was so big, there were people cut even from the B teams. There wasn't enough room to accomodate everyone who was interested and the school didn't want to expend resources to set up yet another team. My school probably wasn't typical in that way.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really don't know how to make this work. It would seem like a downgrade in competition, which doesn't seem good to me at all, but I understand your concerns about kids who don't normally make the cut. They do need more attention and focus. Just don't know what to do though.