• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eminem vs. Jay-Z

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Who's the better artist/rapper and why?

Also, for anyone wanting to hear new Eminem material, check out his and Royce's brand new album. It's nasty.

Bad-Meets-Evil-Hell-The-Sequel-cover-460x462.jpg

My three faves:
[youtube=iqCSLJD0AgQ]Bad Meets Evil - Fast Lane[/youtube]

[youtube=Jz2lrLNVa7E]Bad Meets Evil - Welcome 2 Hell[/youtube]

[youtube=IZnN3-O2hQo]Bad Meets Evil - Above The Law[/youtube]

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like Jay-Z, no matter what he has going for him, he doesn't seem to have anything to say.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
While I enjoy Jay-Z, I agree that his lyrics aren't all that creative/crafty. Eminem is in a whole different league with that element.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Earlier Jay-Z was great. While not a great story teller, he is able to make what he says catchy, and he has some great production. His track record after "Black Album" has been hit or miss. I enjoyed "American Gangster", but in the end it's the same content over a different beat. His last album was not good at all.

I feel that he has been more lucky than good with his success.

In Hood terms, he's the man, because of what he has accomplished.

When I now listen to him, I get a guy who has been around enough successful people to talk the part. I just don't get a genuine sense of elevated thinking from him.

Eminem has some crazy wordplay, but he has some issues where I can't relate. I haven't heard too much of his latest stuff. Whatever album "Superman" was on was the last time I really paid him much attention.

I think Jay's better, in the end.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i really can't stand eminem's nasaly voice and have no interest in hearing about his mommy issues all the time. i admit that he's talented, but most of his songs just seem way too angry over some bullshit or those really corny joke songs where he makes fun of celebrities. not a fan.

i like jay-z, he knows how to make good, catchy music. most of his music now isn't blowing me away or anything, but it's solid. blueprint 3 grew on me.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm not a fan of either but Jay-Z is better.

The song Eminem did with Rihanna that had Megan Fox & the guy from Lost in the video was literally terrible.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
yeah I hated that song.

There were a lot of people who liked it though.....

I love eminem's older songs.

Great song and video.....

"Stan" was a great concept and song. Creativity like that is so missing in hip-hop nowadays.

Thank God for Lupe.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gotta admit, I like eminem much better.
I get tired of hearing the same ole shit from rappers, and eminem is a refreshing change from the norm. Plus, he doesn't try his ass off to be "badass". He's keepin' it real, and he's tellin' it the way he sees it. That makes for a real artist, as opposed to talkin' about your cars, hos, and money all the fuckin' time. Jay Z doesn't stand out at all. He's just another rapper. There are a million and one Jay Z's around here.....
Eminem's better lyrically and technically as well.
Eminem has a lot of ideas......comparatively. His mind moves.....lol. Yea, he's a little broody, but as I said, he's like that irl I think. I'd rather someone honor themselves than try to raise appeal by being someone they're not, which is what the music business these days .... is about.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jay Z. Eminem has a more hardcore past and he has good rhymes, but his flow is mechanical sounding and he has no style. if I were just interested in lyrics, I'd listen to underground rap, but for me, rap is about style and soul.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah, i've noticed that a lot of people who listen to eminem don't listen to other rap music. like a lot of people who listen to rock will list him as the only rapper they like. when i was in middle school i hated rap but liked eminem, and now that i love it and it's the main genre of music i listen to, eminem just gets on my nerves. he has no flow.

both kinda repeat their tired old schtick over and over again, it's just that jay-z's is more common. but a lot of the reason for that is that people are influenced by him and he was just one of the people to popularize the money cars and hos type rap.

i apologize if that was incoherent

R

ReflecTcelfeR

Eminem. The songs he creates are so complex. His songs are holistic. Within the song you may not understand the flow, but the mechanism as a whole is mind-blowing to me. I enjoy his newer content more than his druggie days.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
both kinda repeat their tired old schtick over and over again, it's just that jay-z's is more common.

True. But when you've been listening to rap since 1982, (Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, LL Kool J, NWA, etc. etc. etc. etc.), you've seen those styles and heard those lyrics, and seen those attitudes done over-and-over again to the point of mind-numbery. Believe me when I say, it's all been done before lol..... They've been talking about how many chicks they had, and how much money they had, and how street-smart and great they were, since 1982 lmfao.....the pimp/ho shit happened later, but it's still same ole same ole. Actually, they've been using the word "ho" since the 80's, not sure about "pimp" stuff........

Eminem's was a little different..... that's all. He goes deeper.....I don't see how rap has stayed on top this long, personally. So many other genres came and went much faster, but rap truly hasn't evolved much at all in 30 years.....the only thing I can figure is, the record companies have got it easier when they can pluck any fool off the streets and make him a star. It doesn't take much skill to be a rapper.

I'll give eminem the credit for singing a bit on his songs, as well. I don't know if Jay Z does or not.... I can barely sit through one of his songs. LoL.....

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it might be better if we first classified the different types of rap, but I'll leave this to the connoiseurs

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For me they're about the same. Eminem is a more emotional rapper whereas Jay-Z is a more technical rapper. I listen to Eminem when I'm down or alone and Jay-Z when I'm feeling good or with other people.

I'll get that new album though, I like Royce a lot too even though he can be too in-your-face at times.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
see you're confirming my theory that people who aren't fans of rap like eminem ;)
and i know that's been around forever, and it probably always will be because plenty of people still like it. but not all rap today's like that, not even all mainstream radio rap.

i'm not really sure why it's eminem vs jay-z in this thread they're not that comparable to eachother. unless they're the 2 best selling or something.

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
see you're confirming my theory that people who aren't fans of rap like eminem ;)

I believe so too... he's got a lot of fans.
I've heard all kinds of music, I'm just not interested in most rap anymore. I'm over it. Yes, I've delved all through it, at one time or another. I probably wouldn't have listened to eminem either had I not stumbled across it.....some of his earlier stuff sounds like other rappers from the early 90's..... same styles.
Sure jay z and eminem are comparable. Any two artists in the same genre can be compared, especially.

I think people like whatever the record companies decide to spoon-feed them. Young people aren't hard to please; (people in general aren't - look at country music :D).

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
True. But when you've been listening to rap since 1982, (Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang, Run DMC, LL Kool J, NWA, etc. etc. etc. etc.), you've seen those styles and heard those lyrics, and seen those attitudes done over-and-over again to the point of mind-numbery. Believe me when I say, it's all been done before lol..... They've been talking about how many chicks they had, and how much money they had, and how street-smart and great they were, since 1982 lmfao.....the pimp/ho shit happened later, but it's still same ole same ole. Actually, they've been using the word "ho" since the 80's, not sure about "pimp" stuff........

Eminem's was a little different..... that's all. He goes deeper.....I don't see how rap has stayed on top this long, personally. So many other genres came and went much faster, but rap truly hasn't evolved much at all in 30 years.....the only thing I can figure is, the record companies have got it easier when they can pluck any fool off the streets and make him a star. It doesn't take much skill to be a rapper.

I'll give eminem the credit for singing a bit on his songs, as well. I don't know if Jay Z does or not.... I can barely sit through one of his songs. LoL.....

What do you think of the Lupe's of the game?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
i'm not really sure why it's eminem vs jay-z in this thread they're not that comparable to eachother. unless they're the 2 best selling or something.

Yeah it seems like a pretty random comparison to make.

Eminem with DMX or Nas or some kind of idea-focused or personal-problems rapper would make more sense.

whereas Jay-Z would make sense with uhhh... the Beastie Boys or Asher roth maybe (jokie)

(notice the subtle racism here)

:wizfreak: