• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Little Shop of Horrors (1961)-all my favorite movies tend to be from the 50's and 60's and this is no exception. I also love Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Graduate. I don't know what it is that makes movies from this time so enjoyable, but why aren't they this good anymore?

Dr.Who: Talons of Wiang Chiang (A very good episode, the first 2 parts I found sort of boring but part 3 it began getting really good)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Terminator Salivation, the movie about Terminators that drool.

Not half bad considering I had no expectations. And I'm thankful that it had something more than video game shootouts in a grungy barren wasteland.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's brief appearance (as a CGI puppet) was appreciated. And the general feel of the film had far more in common with Cameron's vision than Terminator 3, which played like your average TV action movie of the week.

And I was also surprised at the variety of different cyborgs featured. They weren't all Transformers.

Though particularly disappointing was Danny Elfman's underwhelming score.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I think the movie Surrogates, starring Bruce Willis, will be the sci-fi event of the year.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I just signed up for Netflix, so I've been watching a lot lately.

Before Sunset: I enjoyed it, but I didn't connect with it the way I had Before Sunrise. Part of what I loved about Before Sunrise was that it seemed aware of its own characters' pretentiousness, and that movie perfectly captures what it's like to be young and in love with life and with the sound of your own voice. Celine and Jesse fall for one another, for sure, but it's just as much about the experience as it is about the other person, which I find intriguing. It's flawed, but the more beautiful for it, and Hawke and Delpy have so much chemistry. The chemistry remains consistent in Before Sunset, but it's somewhat disappointing that Jesse and Celine are just as self-involved ten years later as they were when they'd first met. I would have liked to see a little more maturation, whereas the only discernible difference in their conversations in the two movies is that they are less optimistic in the second. I wanted them together, but was nagged by the idea that they probably wouldn't be really good for one another. Still, the movie does a nice job with the emotional consequences of missed opportunities. Recommended, although I don't think it was ultimately necessary to revisit these characters.

The Good German: Gimmicky with a flimsy plot. It's fun to play on Clooney and Blanchett's likenesses to old Hollywood stars, but ultimately, I would rather have been watching a movie from that era than one filmed to imitate it. Watchable, but sort of a waste of time.

Jesus Camp: Just frightening, and pretty relevant now in terms of the current Supreme Court vacancy. I would take it with a grain of salt as the people the documentary focuses on are in the very, very extreme.

Hard Candy: Definitely an intriguing movie. It goes for provocation and shock value and mostly achieves it, turning a would-be child molester into his not-so-innocent victim's prey. Patrick Wilson gives an adequate performance as the 30-something photographer and internet stalker, and Ellen Page a great one as a 14-year-old he invites to his house. Page is really the reason to watch the movie, and it was nice to see her out of the Juno mold of roles. The issues the movie raises are interesting, and though it doesn't ultimately do them justice, it does get you thinking.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight last night...

It was alright. I've never been a huge fan of Batman though so I wasn't all that pumped up to begin with.

The performances of The Joker & Two-Face were the best things about it. Heath Ledger's Joker being much more in tune with Alan Moore's Joker in TKJ although still VERY reserved in comparison-- wtf! (It would have been interesting if they included Barbara Gordon getting shot and paralyzed by The Joker somewhere in the film; then instead of another lame Batgirl she could just be Oracle). I also thought Two-Face needed MUCH more screen time.

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP
I recently saw a film, In Bruges, it was very good. Colin Farrell surprised me in it. He can act after all!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I recently saw a film, In Bruges, it was very good. Colin Farrell surprised me in it. He can act after all!

He always could act. The question was whether he'd try in certain movies.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I just watched "Lars and the Real Girl" and found it funny yet poignant in a distinctly non-romcom kind of way. Probably an NF movie - I suspect Sensors might find the premise (don't ask) a little too silly to find touching, and the implementation of the premise not silly enough to be entertaining. Ts would doubtless do well to avoid. I enjoyed it though.

Oh, and one of the characters - Margo (Kelli Garner) - is going right into the Super Hawt Woman thread.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
I just watched "Lars and the Real Girl" and found it funny yet poignant in a distinctly non-romcom kind of way. Probably an NF movie - I suspect Sensors might find the premise (don't ask) a little too silly to find touching, and the implementation of the premise not silly enough to be entertaining. Ts would doubtless do well to avoid. I enjoyed it though.

yeah, i am an ST and i did not like that movie. i guess i just did not get it, and i could not relate to or empathize with Lars.

i finally watched Slumdog Millionaire the other night. i liked it alright, i wanted to like it more but something about it just didn't seem to hold my interest.

i am going to watch Dog Day Afternoon again tonight. i have seen it several times before, but it is a great movie and i have been in the mood for Pacino.
also, because it was really hot here today.

dda.jpg

Annyong

MBTI Type
ENTP

I'm a T, but I enjoyed it a lot. I showed it to my NF friend, and she also loved it. It's just a great movie.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got back from seeing Transformers 2. And let me just tell you it was the best GM commercial Michael Bay film since Bad Boys II. It was offensive to all the right people: the left-wing pussies and the critics, and that fact alone qualifies this movie as a masterpiece for anyone willing to take their heads out of their asses every so often.

The characters were extremely believable -- yep, totally uninteresting. The humor was excessively crude and unsophisticated, but for some reason, when the crude jokes are told by CG characters, I'm somehow amused and even awed.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just saw Transformers 2, also.
Liked: special effects, Rainn Wilson, watching Shia LeBoeuf go crazy, being in a full theater full of people in Transformers face paint while I was watching it at a midnight showing
Disliked: sexism (all the women are whores!); racism (where do I start??); bias against intellectuals and little people and others; unfunny scatological humor

I think I must be too politically correct for that movie... I really wanted to like it, but it made me sad, in the end.
The acting was really good, and Bruges is SO pretty... but yeah.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I got back from seeing Transformers 2. And let me just tell you it was the best GM commercial Michael Bay film since Bad Boys II. It was offensive to all the right people: the left-wing pussies and the critics, and that fact alone qualifies this movie as a masterpiece for anyone willing to take their heads out of their asses every so often.

The only thing Michael Bay insults is your intelligence.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only thing Michael Bay insults is your intelligence.

I'm intelligent enough to know the appropriate time to turn my brain off.

Seriously, why do movies always have to be intelligent? Are you one of those pseudo-intellectual left-wing pussies?

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm intelligent enough to know the appropriate time to turn my brain off.

I'm a horror movie fan. I watch plenty of dumb films and enjoy them.

Seriously, why do movies always have to be intelligent?

There are dumb films. And then there's Michael Bay. :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRS90V8BQGo"]BAYSPLOSIONS!!!1[/YOUTUBE]

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP7FXFFywy4"]HE'S GOT THE POOOWWWEEEERRR!!![/youtube]

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone seen "Drag Me To Hell"? I thought it was pretty scary.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Has anyone seen "Drag Me To Hell"? I thought it was pretty scary.

I really want to see it, but it's difficult for me to make time to get to the theater these days. I'm probably going to buy it on Blu-ray. People are comparing it to some of best horror flicks this decade -- The Mist and The Descent.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can see why it would be...it has the makings of an ideal scary movie. there are plenty of scenes that'll make you jump.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I can see why it would be...it has the makings of an ideal scary movie. there are plenty of scenes that'll make you jump.

Sam Raimi made two of my all-time favorite movies, (The Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2), so I'm really keen to see it. I remember seeing the trailers and thinking it looked silly and cliched, but then the gushing reviews rolled in from critics and fans alike. Then the movie practically tanked at the box office, which is why I'm probably just going to blind-buy it. I want to support Mr. Raimi.

The irony here is that you have an Internet full of people whining and complaining about the glut of remakes (especially horror remakes), and when something new, not a sequel, not a remake, comes out ... people fucking ignore it.

This is why we can't have nice things, American moviegoers!