• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

heart

heart on fire
I saw "The Other Boleyn Girl", the BBC version. It was mostly awful. Certainly no match for "Anne of the Thousand Days".

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
MAN I DONT KNOW HOW YOU GIVE INFPS THIS SHIT BUT FUNK THAT

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOFKU_hwj2o"]fuNJK[/YOUTUBE]

You heard meh.

heart

heart on fire
^ If that's directed at me (since it's right beneath me I am not sure) I don't even understand the message. :huh:

Mole

Permabanned
"The Reader"

"The Reader", is a movie about an SS Concentration Camp guard.

SPOILERS BELOW

But the movie is very careful to not to tell you that her trial went on for six years, in which it was revealed that she bashed the brains out of children against brick walls in the presence of their mothers.

It was also revealed she regularly and often stomped women to death with her boots.

Also she regularly whipped women to death.

Also we are not told she freely and knowingly chose to be a Concentration Camp guard. And if she had refused at any point she would not have been punished.

She was sentenced to life in prison. She did not commit suicide. And like all SS, she was not repentant.

This movie is a straight out white-wash - it is called historical revisionism.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched Australia. It was a long, boring waste of nearly three hours.

I mean, there wasn't even any cannibalism!!! What is up with that?

Though admittedly, this was the first time I've ever seen anything about the history of Australia.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I mean, there wasn't even any cannibalism!!!

Ugh, fuck that! *crosses Australia off list of movies to watch* :D

Btw, Victor, I didn't catch what you had written in your post before it got edited but The Reader is based on a work of fiction, no?

Last but not least, everyone see this movie: 'Let The Right One In'. It's Swedish and it is the best movie I've seen for over a year. Awesome in every way.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I caught Religulous and enjoyed it. Of course, I agree with Bill Mahar on the subject of religion, so it was, err ... preaching to the choir. :D

Mole

Permabanned
Btw, Victor, I didn't catch what you had written in your post before it got edited but The Reader is based on a work of fiction, no?

Yes, Kangirl, the movie, "The Reader", is based on a novel also called, "The Reader".

And the novel is based on a real case tried in a German Court.

And the facts in the real case are different than the facts in the novel.

However the movie is a good movie, and worthwhile seeing.

Mole

Permabanned
Dean Spanley

I've just walked out of the movie, "Dean Spanley".

But before I go on I am obliged to warn you not to read any further if you think I might reveal the plot.

But the movie really wasn't about a plot. It's hard to say what it is about. It is more about creating an atmosphere which they do very successfully.

And interestingly the movie is made by the New Zealanders.

It is a strangely satisfying movie but difficult to get your head around - but do you really want to get your head around it? No.

It is an engrossing film, well acted and beautifully presented.

And see, I don't think I have revealed the plot.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched Transporter 3. It was way too predictable even for your average action movie.

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Watched Heckler, a docu-comedy (?) hosted by Jamie Kennedy that, on the box, claimed to explore the relationship between comedians and hecklers ... sounds interesting, right? Well, half-way through, it turns into a doc about Internet critics who confuse personal attacks with legitimate film reviews. Kennedy has a point -- way too many amateur "critics" can't seem to tell the difference between real film criticism and flat-out insulting the people who make the movies. Admittedly, it was a little funny to see him confront these critics, face-to-face, and throw their words back at them ... and watch them squirm.

The lack of focus was the doc's downfall, though. I wanted more hecklers, less stupid movie reviewers.

5/10

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Coraline

Coraline is pure stop-motion eye candy (esp. in 3-D), infinitely more satisfying than those bland and sterile CGI worlds that look like they came from the imagination of a lobotomized patient. It’s also a suspenseful horror-fantasy story, featuring a parallel universe, weird, vivid characters (including “wuss-puss” the cat) and a decidedly creepy villain.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Knowing.

The previews made it look like National Treasure, but I have to say that Knowing ended up being one of the most original movie experiences I've ever had.

Alex Proyas returns to his risk-taking roots showcased in Dark City and The Crow but notably absent in I, Robot.

SPOILER ALERT

I'd also like to add that the ending of the film was something I had hoped would be featured in a movie for a long time. And let me just say that the ending was pulled off perfectly.

SPOILER END

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
I watched one of the dumbest episodes of Smallville ever, yet again. Set him up in the airplane...Jimmy is alone in the hospital, finally separated from Chloe? So stupid, what a dumb show!
Weak episode of Dollhouse....hated the interviews.
Finishing Curb Your Enthusiasm, but it's all turning into the same yell fest.
Excellent episode of Q.I.
Damages was intense this weak, very good!
Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever!
Kings, on NBC, is derivative and uninteresting, I'd rather read the Biblical story.

Will Ferrell You're Welcome America, was amazing! Thoroughly enjoyed that!

Lost and 24 were phenomenal again this week, some of the most compelling writing on TV.

We'll see if BSG can make up for a slightly interesting second half of their long awaited season 4, with the series (tear) finale tonight!!!

Scott

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9/5?
Interesting. I just watched this week's Dollhouse and actually thought it was very good. I feel like they'll need to continue to work out some of the ideas from the interviews a bit more and bring more coherence, but I thought they were great.

Spoiler alert:

For example, in the first two interviews (if I'm remembering correctly) I loved how they brought out a perspective difference contrasting the black lady - who sees things through the grid of slavery and, accordingly, sees dolls as slaves and even suggests that anyone who would volunteer for such a thing would have to have already been enslaved in some way - and the white lady - who sees things through the lens of opportunity and sees the dollhouse as something like a potential way to get out of having to work and deal with the details of life.

And in general with the interviews, I really liked seeing the different perspectives the people came from and how that informs what, to them, are the obvious moral or opportunistic reactions. Maybe I particularly love it knowing that Joss isn't coming from a perspective where they're all right and each should just do as they wish... Really important stuff, if you ask me.

[/SPOILER]

Anyway, I've been waiting for the show to really get started, and this was actually probably the first episode where I feel like I could talk about the ideas in it for a very, very long time. I'm really looking forward to next week and hope people haven't given up on it too soon.

Paisley

Strolling Through The Shire
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
BSG finale left me wanting more. Good, but did not do justice to the plethora of dangling storylines. Need several made for TV movies if not actual movies to finish off all the left overs in plot.

On Dollhouse, where Helo meets up with Echo in the alley and switches, I thought that was cool, and that his neighbor/booty call is a doll. After calling both of those things before hand, I maintain my original opinion; weak.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Star Trek: The Next Generation is so great. It's like temporarily living in another world.