• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
The most recent movie I saw was "The Grudge" - yes I know it's old.

*yawn* If you haven't seen it yet, don't bother.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Halloween triple header!

Peeping Tom
Released the same year as Psycho, this film wasn't even a cult fave until Martin Scorsese rescued it from oblivion. A young man, subject to his father's twisted experiments on fear as a child, has grown up into a serial killer that films the women as he murders them. Dark and complex, this one is years ahead of its time (including Psycho) and reminded me of Thomas Harris' Red Dragon with its ability to see the human side of the monster.
Highly Recommended.

Braindead (Dead-Alive in the U.S.)
Peter Jackson's breakout movie just piles on the gore and I couldn't stop laughing at it! Set in the late '50s in New Zealand, a cursed monkey bites the mother of our tale's hero. Soon, dogs are eaten, a priest displays his kung fu powers, bodily fluids spray into eaten food, and the severed limbs pile up like firewood. Completely over-the-top, I wish I had seen it back when I was in love with Evil Dead 2. Be sure to get the unrated version! I need to get that brand of lawnmower...
Recommended.

Stir of Echoes
(Six degrees of) Kevin Bacon is the working-class husband and father hypnotized into an "open door" by his flaky sister-in-law. Soon he is seeing things that do not exist, and knowing things he should not know. He and his wife begin to realize their son has this same ability as well. Not excessively scary, it turns more into a thriller in the last third. This movie had the misfortune to be released around the time of The Sixth Sense. Which is why I didn't bother with it until now. Not nearly as good as that one, it was still entertaining and well-made. Fun to see House's Jennifer Morrison as the young missing girl.
P.S. I once successfully hypnotized my brother.
Recommended.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Bad Santa
Probably one of my favourite comedies of all time. Enter Billy-Bob Thorton as an alcoholic-misanthropic-fatalistic mall Santa working alongside his elven accomplish Tony Cox in order to steal from the department stores on Christmas. Billy eventually befriends this random pathetic kid in the movie and ...jesus. Where did they find him?! That kid is absolutely unreal. Not only is this a fantastic movie to watch sober, but being intoxicated or stoned do not depreciate the value of the film. Highly Recommended.

ferunandesu

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
4w5
I watched Atonement recently. I thought it had potential to be a great comedy, but it quickly turned into a sappy, sad love story.

Why is Keira Knightley attractive despite her boyish physique?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Burn After Reading, which was a waste of time. It's indirectly about a heist - two renown filmmakers get together with some actors with considerable box-office clout and together they make off with the gypped audience's money. *Harrumph*

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Looks like a Gangland marathon on History channel. :nice:

Woohoo I'm a senior member now! Where's my AARP card? Where's my social security check?! GET OFF MY LAWN!

Mole

Permabanned
Nights in Rodanthe

Should I walk up to Manuka on this beautiful Spring evening to see, "Nights in Rodanthe"?

I'm told the acting is good and there is a twist in the end. But I dunno. It wants to engage my emotions. Should I let it?

Or should I maintain my stiff upper lip and my masculine mien?

Or should I wallow in feeling? I mean no one will see me. You are the only one who will know - and I know you can keep a secret.

But if you tell, I can always say that I was discovering my feminine side. I understand that is the latest thing - and I don't mind people saying that he is nothing if not trendy. Yes, I think it gives me cache.

And look, it may give me insight into the opposite gender. No matter how hard I try, I can't imagine what it is like to be one of them. And the miracle is that we manage to communicate at all. But I suspect that is entirely due to them. Without them we would be frozen dummies, unable to dance or even to feel.

So what do you think? Should I walk out into the late afternoon sunshine to go and see, "Nights in Rodanthe". Do you think it would be good for me? Or do you think I should do it for pleasure?

V Profane

MBTI Type
INTP
Peeping Tom
Released the same year as Psycho, this film wasn't even a cult fave until Martin Scorsese rescued it from oblivion ... Dark and complex, this one is years ahead of its time (including Psycho) and reminded me of Thomas Harris' Red Dragon with its ability to see the human side of the monster.
Highly Recommended.

I agree. It's a truly remarkable film, especially for Hitchcock fans. Geek points for knowing the Scorsese thing.

Braindead (Dead-Alive in the U.S.) ... Completely over-the-top, I wish I had seen it back when I was in love with Evil Dead 2.

I wouldn't put it in that category, but it has it's own certain charm.

I saw this years ago in my Blockbuster going days, and I thought it was fucking dreadful. The shitty cover of 'Paint It Black' didn't help one little bit.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I watched 2001: A Space Odyessy for the first time the other night and absolutely loved it.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched 2001: A Space Odyessy for the first time the other night and absolutely loved it.

That movie is almost as brilliant as me.

Anyway, I recently watched Demolition Man, it was hilarious. Can't wait for it to come out on Blu-Ray.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
I remember wanting to see this when it came out, but it seemed to fade from sight as soon as it did. With good reason, the movie isn't as funny as it should be. There are some hilarious bits, the Beatles in India, the best Dylan parodies ever, and even a spoof of Brian Wilson going insane making Smile. Still, it's just not enough to sustain the entire picture. It needed something more.
No recommendation.

Blood Diamond
I already heard about these from Kanye West. It was the acting of Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou (both nominated for Oscars) that makes this film go. The action sequences are part thrilling and horrifying (particularly every time the children soldiers make an appearance), but this movie still doesn't know whether to entertain you or preach to you. So it does both. The effect is to undercut both. It never gets as thrilling as it could be, or as affecting as it should be. The two actors save this one.
Recommended.

Dan in Real Life
At one point, when the middle teenage daughter of Dan (Steve Carell) is tearfully ranting at him for driving her boyfriend away, I pointed at le wife's belly and said to the unborn within, "No!" Dan is an widowed advice columnist with three daughters traveling to his parent's place on the shore of RI for the weekend. While out getting a paper, he runs into the first woman that interests him since his wife's death (Juliette Binoche). Unfortunately he finds out this is his brother's (Dane Cook) new girlfriend. They spend most of the movie denying their obvious chemistry, but everyone knows what is going to happen (come on, it's fucking Dane Cook!). The movie was sweet and true enough for me not to care much. This is also the first time I'm beginning to notice Binoche's age, and still nearly any woman would love to age as beautifully as her.
Recommended.

Role Models
We've seen these two guys before (Seann William Scott & Paul Rudd): two guys in their 30s that still haven't figured out how to grow up. An incident after Rudd's girlfriend (Elizabeth Banks, who is seemingly everywhere these days) breaks up with him lands them afoul of the law. They are required by the court to perform community service. In this case, they are big brothers to two kids. One wild pre-teen kid (Bobb'e J. Thompson) with the foulest mouth ever, and one fantasy inclined teen (Christopher Mintz-Plasse aka McLovin). Life lessons are learned (including one hilarious sequence where Scott's character teaches his kid to be on the lookout for boobs without staring at them... some women probably think this is just fiction, it's not!) and everything works out again. Were you expecting something else? Once again, I was entertained enough not to care.
Recommended.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
That movie is almost as brilliant as me.

though I love film, they can never be as brilliant as a person.

---

Yesterday I watched William Wyler's Jezebel. I do love William Wyler, his films are both accessible and interesting. Like Satyajit Ray, he can have a very arbitrary scene taking place, and then it will click with me what the film is really about, and I will start to cry. Bette Davis was good, but I think she's done better.

I also saw Andrzej Wajda's A Generation from his War Trilogy. I think you have to have something of a vested interest in Polish politics to get the most out of Wajda's films; they're quite context specific. Nevertheless, universal themes of political passion in the youth were explored, as well as love. East European countries seem to have a common undercurrent of the youth being politically involved. I somewhat envy the passion their environment elicits. It makes me question the real wealth of prosperity. I also like how Wajda incorporates strong women in his films: firstly with his masterpiece Kanal, but also in A Generation, with the political leader, Dorota. There's also an early, hairy legged performance from Roman Polanski.

Finally, I watched Bad Lieutenant. As I mentioned in my Criticker review, I felt it would have worked much better had it remained something of a nihilistic documentary of degradation. It had value there, and I found it mesmerizing. Instead it "evolved" into some religious redemption nonsense that completely ruined it for me. Nevertheless, great direction/camera work/cinematography, and an impressive bod on Keitel.

Serpico's on tonight. Might give that a go.

Kanal is on TV in the UK on Thursday the 20th. An exceptional film with an almost psychosomatic representation of the isolating German invasion. You don't need to enjoy War movies to enjoy this one!