• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I just missed the start of Whisky. :(

*contemplates staying up another hour*

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got back from Saw V just now. Unlike Saw IV, the torture devices were once again painful to watch. But unlike the first three Saw films, the twist wasn't, well, all that twisted.

I still enjoyed the film. I think the Saw films are well-written compared to other horror franchises.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
There's a Dardenne brothers film on in 10 minutes. I wont be getting to bed until 4:30ish. They did the Chaplin Today analysis for Modern Times, and proved themselves a smart couple o' chaps. 'though I didn't get on well with L'Enfant, The Son (Fils, Le) sounds more wholesome.:)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I just saw Religulous and I liked it, however disturbing it may have been to my Fi sensitivities.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm getting really addicted to Gangland on THC. It's taught me that I wouldn't last five minutes in a gang, and probably around 30 seconds in prison. Phew.

I also find it interesting how the most unexpected places often have the largest gang problems. :huh:

Negative_

im watching star wars, finally.
on the first one now. clones will be attacking next.
it's no harry potter, but it's not bad.
needs more hobbits and talking lions, i think.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Oh dear, you messed up. I wish the prilogy was never made now, though I admit I went to see them all in the theater and halfway enjoyed them.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Oh dear, you messed up. I wish the prilogy was never made now, though I admit I went to see them all in the theater and halfway enjoyed them.

They should've been made the way the fans wanted them made. There were so many better ideas floating around out there in the 10 years leading up to their release. :\

Although I could never, for the life of me, understand why everyone hated JarJar Binks so much. He wasn't THAT horrible.

Negative_

this

The_Dangerous_Lives_of_Altar_Boys_movie.jpg

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both films today come from 1955 and are hugely influential and both are closely rated on imdb.com's Top 250 movies list.

The Night of the Hunter
Even someone that's never seen it knows about the love/hate tattoos:
61736-004-81DA4F55.jpg

Robert Mitchum is fantastic as a self-styled "preacher" that really masks his true nature of a serial killer behind the words and image of man of God. When he finds out a condemned man in jail has hidden $10k with his family (a soon-to-be widow and two children) he worms his way into the widow's affections and the daughter's as well. Only the son, the one who really carries the burden of the hidden money, resists.
[YOUTUBE="X20XIg38GcE"]Love - Hate: Night of the Hunter[/YOUTUBE]
There are some wonderful scenes in this film: the swaying hair at the bottom of the river, the nighttime dream-like river escape, the silhouette of Mitchum's hatted preacher and his maniacal manner when things go wrong, and the scene of him softly calling to the children at the top of the cellar stairs is now a horror movie staple. I did dislike the score, the horrid acting of the little girl, and the too-happy ending. Scorned upon release, it is now rightly an American classic. You can see the movie for free on Hulu if you like.
Highly Recommended.

Les Diaboliques
Don't see the remake! See this fantastic French b&w film. The principle of a boy's private school has made a horrible mistake: his fragile wife and mistress (both teachers at the school) have become friends. Never let this happen! Add his cruel nature, and it's only natural they begin to plot his death. Sedating him and then drowning him in a bath tub, they throw the body in the school's dirty pool for someone else to discover. Then the body... well, just rent this one, you won't regret it. Another classic that has spawned countless imitators.
Highly Recommended.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Primer
A couple of young engineers in their spare time build a, get this, time machine in their garage. Written, directed, and starring former engineer/mathematician Shane Carruth, this film made for $7000 won the 2004 Sundance Grand Jury prize. At first you are not sure where this is all going. It reminds one of those 70s nerds working on what would become the PC revolution in their own garages. Except this idea is a real revolution... one of them gets the idea to build the machine big enough for a person to go inside... and you start to slowly realize you haven't been given the whole story. Reminded me a lot of Memento with the fractured time line and puzzle it presents. It never panders to the audience, and you will not have it all figured out by the end. I will rewatch it. Great to see someone can still make an entertaining movie without big stars, annoying CGI effects, and a massive budget. All one needs is a bit of imagination.
Recommended.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I watched Persepolis and Rosemary's Baby last night.

Both good, but Persepolis especially so. One of those films that's the enemy of ignorance, but also entertaining and dte.

When's Halloween? Guess I ought to get The Exorcist in.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Rosemary's Baby is about 1,000 times better than Persepolis. I would've walked out of persepolis if I wasn't with two friends.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've seen Nobody Knows twice. It's too cruel that his greatest moment (baseball) has to lead to his lowest moment. It's gonna ruin baseball for him (among other things). Great movie, though I don't think I have the tear ducts to ever watch it again.

(Grave of the Fireflies sucks.)

Went to see City of Ember in theaters with a friend (we had nothing better to do and a longstanding tradition of seeing kids adventure movies). Was alright and sufficient and entertaining but seemed to squander the opportunities available. Sort of a pseudo steampunk style- but their underground world didn't seem that well thought-out or explored.

It's all great that they found the above ground and stuff (surprising they didn't go blind there... or at least squint a little), but considering their complete lack of knowledge of most things (possibly including fire)- I think it's almost inevitable that the human race is screwed. With the giant animals running around and stuff. (How come nuclear radiation never makes animals tiny?) And their laughably small gene pool. Of white people (minus one token black lady). And their complete naivete.

I'm sort of hoping councils of elders (of various demographics- not just 50-60ish British-y white people) across the globe came up with contingency plans, and that this is just one of the more poorly thought-out plans. Now that would be an awesome movie. These people escaping their run-down underground land (first 30 minutes) to above-ground to find other newly reinstated groups competing (next 30 minutes). Lots of cool culture clash and learning (next 30 min) and possibly discovering the past (last act).

Overall I'd say a 2.5 star movie (out of 4). The giant moles were genuinely scary. I don't know why they didn't use that for anything. Wasteful.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I watched two movies this evening:

First, I watched Doomsday, which I got from Netflix on Blu-Ray. It certainly wasn't bad for a British survival movie. But the whole virus wiping out the population thing is really getting tired. However, the picture had very diverse environments which oddly didn't seem confused. It combines a cannibalistic rock concert with medieval warfare. Having said that, I sometimes felt like I was watching a folk metal music video. Still, having expected to consume bare bones from the film, it wasn't half bad.

The second film I watched was Journey to the Center of the Earth with Brendan Fraser, which I rented from Red Box on DVD. Sadly, the rental didn't come with 3D glasses, so I couldn't watch the 3D version of the film. I absolutely loved the film, however. It was filled with endless creativity that really sucks you in (except for the mine car roller coaster). This is a movie worth buying not just for the 3D glasses that will come with a full purchase.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I want to see Audition...

5113YQFBZDL._SL500.jpg

Colmena, if you are reading this and would like to put the talent you used to find Irreversible for me to use again, then be a love and try.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Colmena, if you are reading this and would like to put the talent you used to find Irreversible for me to use again, then be a love and try.

I had my assumptions about your ellipsis. Sadly, this used to be available, but has been taken down.

Only shitty quality available.

I, too, would like to see it, as it won a fipresci prize.

It'll return. The Japanese stuff is very popular.