• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Mole

Permabanned
Seriously Victor, I know zero about the Don's.

Pick a Don! Pick a Don! Any Don!

I am torn between Don Quixote and Don Corleone.

Don Quixote is utterly romantic and I am very tempted to tilt at windmills.

But then Don Corleone is a man of the world - a man of respect - a man of honour - and a man of authority, and don't you forget it for a moment.

But what would happen if they met? What would they say to one another?

And as one of our political plays is called, "Don's Party", perhaps we could invite them to Don's party and introduce them.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type

Don Quixote is utterly romantic and I am very tempted by windmills.

But then Don Corleone was a man of the world - a man of respect - a man of honour - and a man of authority, and don't you forget it for a moment.

And as one of our political plays is called, "Don's Party". So perhaps we could invite them to Don's party and introduce them.
ROFL.

You're definitely Quixotic, V.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I know what you mean about needing to sit for a moment after a film. My ISTJ wants to hit the door the minute the credits start to roll. But I feel as though I miss "digesting" it if I don't reflect for a while.

And many times directors put something meaningful during or after the credits that casts a light on the whole thing.

Never thought of it as a trance before, but I can understand that dreamy kind of state a good movie puts me in.

Mole

Permabanned
A Treat

I know what you mean about needing to sit for a moment after a film. My ISTJ wants to hit the door the minute the credits start to roll. But I feel as though I miss "digesting" it if I don't reflect for a while.

And many times directors put something meaningful during or after the credits that casts a light on the whole thing.

Never thought of it as a trance before, but I can understand that dreamy kind of state a good movie puts me in.

Yes, is a dreamy kind of state. And I like to enjoy it and wake up slowly. And integrate it into my mind.

My mother was very good. She would wake me in the morning for breakfast. And I would like to wake up slowly savouring the hypnogogic trance we all pass through just after we wake or just before we fall asleep.

In fact she was so good she would come upstairs not once, not twice but three times to wake me. And she was always gentle and good natured.

She was particularly attuned to my enjoyment of the dreamy state or, as I say, the hypnogogic trance. It was an act of love.

She allowed me to enjoy the dreamy state, before, as the poet Lorca wrote, the ants start to bite.

So no wonder I like to repeat this experience at the movies which are, after all, a bit like sleep, where our belief is suspended and our critical mind goes to sleep.

So I like to go to the movies and hold hands and afterwards be treated like a small, imaginative child.

The movies are for me a delightful treat.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
The Visitor

A very enjoyable independent film, it did very well at Sundance. It's a drama, but it comments on US immigration policy. The story follows a middle-aged depressed INTJ professor who visits his rarely visited spare apartment to find a 'illegal' man and women living there...... eventually he becomes close friends with them, he gets taught to play the drums and loosen up.... The immigrant man eventually gets detained and drama ensues. The lead INTJ character was great in this. I recommend it to anybody, very palatable.

heart

heart on fire

Don Quixote is utterly romantic and I am very tempted to tilt at windmills.

But then Don Corleone is a man of the world - a man of respect - a man of honour - and a man of authority, and don't you forget it for a moment.

And as one of our political plays is called, "Don's Party", perhaps we could invite them to Don's party and introduce them.

Corleone was also sort of a terrorist. :shock:

Mole

Permabanned
The Godfather, the Knight-Errant and Antigone

[Don] Corleone was also sort of a terrorist. :shock:

Good heavens, Heart, Don Corleone was the Godfather.

He looked after his family.

And his family looked after him.

He was Godfather to the whole family.

Sometimes they broke his heart; and sometimes he had to pull them into line.

And you can only understand Don Corleone through his opposite, Don Quixote.

Both were on a mission - Don Quixote to save chivalry and the honour of his love, Dulcinea - and Don Corleone to save the honour of his family in the modern world.

Don Quixote tilted at Windmills while Don Corleone tilted at the Made Men of other families.

Don Quixote was imaginative while Don Corleone was a realist.

Both were brave men. But bravery didn't save them - both of them ended up in great melancholy.

Both fought bravely but were fated to lose in the end.

Both are tragic figures - the playthings of fate. They are in a direct line from Ancient Greek Tragedy. And we are left with catharsis at the end of each play.

But what wonderful tragedies they gave us. Don Quixote the first novel. And Don Coreone the great movie of the present day called, "The Godfather".

Could we imagine Don Corleone without first imagining Don Quixote?

And could we imagine either of them without first imagining Antigone?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw Max Payne yesterday. I think sticking needles in my own eyes would have been infinitely more entertaining and even poetic.

It's a shame, because yet again, Hollywood has taken a well-written game of cinematic quality and pissed all over it by omitting all of the game's most penetrating themes from the movie. It's almost as if film producers assume that video gamers are halfwits incapable of grasping a quality story. The film also suffered from a distinct lack of character development and a very predictable and shallow story line with next to no twists.

The only thing the movie did get right was the look. Max Payne looks as if the video game's interpretation of New York City in winter was transferred to reality. Unfortunately, the movie fails to address the symbolic nature of the snow, something that the game did address -- and ironically, critics slam video games for not being art. :dry:

It's a shame, because Max Payne could have been a far more epic and meaningful movie than it ultimately ended up being.

Mole

Permabanned
I saw Max Payne yesterday. I think sticking needles in my own eyes would have been infinitely more entertaining and even poetic.

It's a shame, because yet again, Hollywood has taken a well-written game of cinematic quality and pissed all over it by omitting all of the game's most penetrating themes from the movie. It's almost as if film producers assume that video gamers are halfwits incapable of grasping a quality story. The film also suffered from a distinct lack of character development and a very predictable and shallow story line with next to no twists.

The only thing the movie did get right was the look. Max Payne looks as if the video game's interpretation of New York City in winter was transferred to reality. Unfortunately, the movie fails to address the symbolic nature of the snow, something that the game did address -- and ironically, critics slam video games for not being art. :dry:

It's a shame, because Max Payne could have been a far more epic and meaningful movie than it ultimately ended up being.

Hey Uber my old Fuhrer, I saw Max Payne too.

I've never seen the game so I thought it was Film Noir, in the same style as Sin City.

I enjoyed the soundtrack. And thought it was quite Noir.

I can still see the Dark Angel coming for the mad warrior.

However I couldn't help remembering that WW II was fought on amphetamines - huge vast amounts of amphetamines.

And amphetamines have similar effects as the blue drug in Max Payne.

So Max Payne is a very old story about a very old drug.

But the story of amphetamines during WW II has been suppressed in the interests of the War on Drugs.

But really, amphetamine is a berserker drug. And unfortunately some are going berserk on our streets.

And while it is good to go berserk in battle, in the suburbs it is wise to preserve decorum.

heart

heart on fire
Good heavens, Heart, Don Corleone was the Godfather.

He looked after his family.

And his family looked after him.

He was Godfather to the whole family.

Sometimes they broke his heart; and sometimes he had to pull them into line.

And you can only understand Don Corleone through his opposite, Don Quixote.

To understand Don Corleone one must know Luca Brasi, the sadist who needed someone to be masochistic towards. Corleone discovered him and then Luca bore the blood on his hands, no longer Corleone. From then on Luca carried Corleone's darkness in his own heart and acted on it out of love for the only person he could respect. And he was a terrorist so that Don Corleone could be a Godfather. Terrorists are good allys for Big Daddy figures to have. :shock:

Mole

Permabanned
To understand Don Corleone one must know Luca Brasi, the sadist who needed someone to be masochistic towards. Corleone discovered him and then Luca bore the blood on his hands, no longer Corleone. From then on Luca carried Corleone's darkness in his own heart and acted on it out of love for the only person he could respect. And he was a terrorist so that Don Corleone could be a Godfather. Terrorists are good allys for Big Daddy figures to have. :shock:

Sure, you always need someone to do the dirty work.

heart

heart on fire
Sure, you always need someone to do the dirty work.

Which is why the world as it is now will never be free of terror. It's too valuable in keeping people in line and people don't want to believe in the connections between the Godfathers and the Luca Brasi they cultivate.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I saw Quarantine.

If you watched and were disgusted by the diseased, you are a hypocrite.