• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

Didums

on a similar note..

/sarcasm on

LETS ALL GO SEE JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH ITS GOING TO BE THE BEST MOVIE EVER

/sarcasm off

also, thread hijacked.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I got through an hour of 25th Hour last night.

I liked nothing about this film. The direction is terrible. The script is terrible. The acting is terrible. The music is fucking baffling. Lord this film is cheesy. A pain to watch.

You know I hate a film when I don't give a shit about the review.

---

On the other hand, Ashes and Diamonds is on tonight on Sky Arts (UK, 267). Wajda is a film God.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Crystal Skull is fun and intense. I saw it twice and I liked it just as much the second time, if not more. You must not have liked any of the other Indiana Jones movies either, because the acting/writing/transitions you talk about are pretty much the same pattern for all of them. Yes, Last Crusade has the Connery factor, which is probly why it's my favorite, but other than that they all are pretty similar in those areas.

Oh, and Johnny Mnemonic is pretty good too. I thought it was going to be bad before I watched it, and I was actually pleasantly surprised.

Oh, props for the clip, though, that's one of my favorite scenes of all time. :laugh:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I thought Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the third best.

They rank as follows:
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
People seem to have forgotten how campy the other films were.

Jasz

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
i just saw episode 6 of season 3 of Six Feet Under. much better than Indiana Jones ;)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I thought Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the third best.

They rank as follows:

I would flip Raiders and Crusade, but otherwise I agree with you. And I haven't forgotten, I've seen them all again in the last couple months. They are all comic book fun, with some pretty cutting-edge effects thrown in at times. My son has found his new hero in Dr. Jones. A very intelligent SP, just like my son. ;)

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
The Dark Knight - 9.5/10

Best Movie I've seen in the past couple of years. I think it was the longest of the Batman series but there was never a dull moment throughout the film. Maggie Gyllenhaal played a much better Rachel than Katie Holmes did in Batman begins (I hate her face). Bale, Ledger, and Eckhart did terrific performances as well. What made this batman movie so excellent was its encapsulation of Batman as the antihero, the transition/characterization of Harvey Dent and the depth / nuances of the Joker. Highly, Highly recommended.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP

They rank as follows:

Sacreligious! Watch Raiders then Crusade. The Last Crusade is by far the better film, It's beautifully directed and has a cracking script, whereas Raiders is just a lot of fun. ('though Karen Allen is hot).

This isn't up for debate.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INTJ

Quoted for supreme truth.

The intervening years have allowed those films to take on the patina of classics and to become iconic, but they were sendups of Saturday afternoon serials too. I didn't LOVE Crystal Skull- it's probably my least favorite of the four. But had it been released in the same general time frame as the others, I am certain it would not be receiving the vitriol that it is now.

My only serious beef with the film is that the character of Indiana Jones seems to be an anachronism in the Space Age. He's very much a product of the late 1930s/early 1940s and that time period fits the character like a glove.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sacreligious! Watch Raiders then Crusade. The Last Crusade is by far the better film, It's beautifully with a cracking script, whereas Raiders is just a lot of fun. ('though Karen Allen is hot).

This isn't up for debate.

Agreed, it's not up for debate. Raiders is twice the film any of the others are, and I like the others.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
The trouble with Crystal Skull is that it hasn't any quotable lines, or dazzling moments, or surprises, or action sequences that young or old wouldn't mind watching over and over again. Think the Nepal barfight from Raiders; it's the finest scene of its category in film history.

I know that Lucas and Spielberg are hit-or-miss these days. But when I learned that Michael Kahn edited, I accepted that each of these men needs to retire.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The trouble with Crystal Skull is that it hasn't any quotable lines, or dazzling moments, or surprises, or action sequences that young or old wouldn't mind watching over and over again. Think the Nepal barfight from Raiders; it's the finest scene of its category in film history.

I know that Lucas and Spielberg are hit-or-miss these days. But when I learned that Michael Kahn edited, I accepted that each of these men needs to retire.

Actually, the most quotable line in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was the Star Wars recurring line, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

MBTI Type
INTJ

I think the motorcycle chase in Crystal Skull is the equal of pretty much any action sequence in any of the first three films. The difference is, again, that the first three have had time to become iconic in people's minds, and so the contest is rigged. It's just like how people reminisce about the "good old days", even if they're better off now.

I never cared much for Lucas, I always thought he was a hack that got lucky once with the first Star Wars film. But Spielberg (and by extension, Kahn) has made some exceptional films in recent years and I see no reason to put him out to pasture because there have been a few clunkers. It's only because he's trying to live up to "70s and 80s Spielberg" that the current Spielberg suffers by comparison. Anyone else who had Spielberg's 90s and 00s filmography would be roundly praised.

Just as an experient, let's look at his recent work. I'm going to arbitrarily pick the last 15 years of his career, since I think Jurassic Park is what a lot of people see as his last great action movie.

Schindler's List
The Lost World
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
AI: Artificial Intelligence
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can
The Terminal
War Of The Worlds
Munich
Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull

In that list are a Best Picture winner (Schindler's List) and two other Best Picture nominees (Saving Private Ryan and Munich). Note that the nomination of Munich was as recent as 2005. I'd say that all on the list are at the least above average, and all but three (Lost World, AI, The Terminal) were widely praised upon their release.

Again, any other director with this filmography would be considered among the best. A director that might be past his peak can still make some amazing films, and Spielberg has. Just cause he's not batting a thousand anymore doesn't mean he's done.

Edited to expand my film nerd rant :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I saw the Dark Knight last night. It kicked such major ass that it's hard to take in so soon.

When the movie was over, there was wild applause.

Ah.. Joker & Two-Face were excellent characters.

I wasn't *particularly* moved by Batman's character, but I love Christian Bale, especially in American Psycho.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
^^ I really hate the stupid "deep and scary" voice that Batman suddenly takes on when he's yelling at the bad guys. Kind of cheesy. But yeah, that movie was awesome anyway.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the motorcycle chase in Crystal Skull is the equal of pretty much any action sequence in any of the first three films. The difference is, again, that the first three have had time to become iconic in people's minds, and so the contest is rigged. It's just like how people reminisce about the "good old days", even if they're better off now.

I never cared much for Lucas, I always thought he was a hack that got lucky once with the first Star Wars film. But Spielberg (and by extension, Kahn) has made some exceptional films in recent years and I see no reason to put him out to pasture because there have been a few clunkers. It's only because he's trying to live up to "70s and 80s Spielberg" that the current Spielberg suffers by comparison. Anyone else who had Spielberg's 90s and 00s filmography would be roundly praised.

Just as an experient, let's look at his recent work. I'm going to arbitrarily pick the last 15 years of his career, since I think Jurassic Park is what a lot of people see as his last great action movie.

Schindler's List
The Lost World
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
AI: Artificial Intelligence
Minority Report
Catch Me If You Can
The Terminal
War Of The Worlds
Munich
Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull

In that list are a Best Picture winner (Schindler's List) and two other Best Picture nominees (Saving Private Ryan and Munich). Note that the nomination of Munich was as recent as 2005. I'd say that all on the list are at the least above average, and all but three (Lost World, AI, The Terminal) were widely praised upon their release.

Again, any other director with this filmography would be considered among the best. A director that might be past his peak can still make some amazing films, and Spielberg has. Just cause he's not batting a thousand anymore doesn't mean he's done.

Edited to expand my film nerd rant :)

I don't know, I think Crystal Skull was a lot better than Temple of Doom. It still had the Indiana Jones spirit that Temple of Doom lacked.

I actually thought A.I. was one of Spielberg's best movies. War of the Worlds wasn't that bad, either. Not his best, but certainly not his worst. Although I never understood why everyone thought Dakota Fanning was such a great actress in that movie, considering all she ever did was scream -- she reminded me of the little girl in Aliens.

The Lost World was probably one of Spielberg's worst movies. I thought it was awful and hardly Spielberg quality.

Saving Private Ryan was just relentlessly boring, and it was nowhere near as gory as I had imagined, so I was sort of let down. Munich was also boring, overall.