• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

violett

Season 4

Breaking Bad is widely regarded as one of the greatest television series of all time. By the time the series finale aired, the series was among the most-watched cable shows on American television. The show received numerous awards, including sixteen Primetime Emmy Awards, eight Satellite Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, two Peabody Awards and a People's Choice Award. For his leading performance, Cranston won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series four times. In 2013, Breaking Bad entered the Guinness World Records as the highest rated show of all time.

93JC

Inherent Vice

A neo-noir film set in 1970, starring Joaquin Phoenix as hippie doctor Larry Sportello, who spends his days smoking dope in his office and makes his real living as a P.I.

I've never read the novel, or anything else by Thomas Pynchon. I don't particularly care for Paul Thomas Anderson as a director. That said, I thought this movie was worth seeing, but so completely fucked up that I don't care if I ever see it again.

The narrative makes very little sense, which might bother some, but I thought it worked well within the context of the film, wherein our narrator is an extremely unreliable one. At one point our protagonist tries to brainstorm and draw a mind map on a board; he's so fucking high and stupid it's completely nonsensical. Like a true P.I. he keeps meticulous notes in his pocket notepad, e.g. when a character makes mention of a place name, and she erroneously tells "Doc" that it's Spanish, he writes down "something Spanish". (It's really Greek.)

Inherent Vice is as I said neo-noir at it's heart but it feels an awful lot like a glorified stoner comedy.
Txtd-Dom-Rated-Tsr-1sht-VICE.jpg
Whiplash

Wow.

Ostensibly this is the story of an aspiring jazz musician and his tyrannical teacher, but it has very little to do with jazz. Or teaching, for that matter.

Miles Teller plays Andrew Neiman, a drumming protégé who desperately seeks fame. Not fortune mind you, just fame. At one point in the film he's fed up with his uncle, aunt and cousins' casual dismissal of his music schooling and he erupts, reminding everyone at the dinner table that he's going to the greatest music school in the world whilst his football player cousin plays merely "Division 3". He tells everyone he'd rather die broke at 34 (like Charlie Parker) than die a rich 90-year-old 'nobody'.

Andrew is convinced the means to achieving this goal lie in the hands of Terrence Fletcher (played by J.K. Simmons), a jazz teacher famous for producing fabulous musicians. He also happens to treat his students like garbage, all in the name of pushing them to achieve greatness. The two worst words a teacher can tell a student, he says, are "good job," for that will only serve to keep musicians mediocre. They need to be pushed, hard, to become great. And if that entails despicable physical and psychological intimidation and manipulation, so be it.

J.K. Simmons absolutely deserves an Academy Award for his performance. He's amazing as Fletcher; you'd need to be amazing to play a character as sadistic as he is and yet still give him fleeting moments of sympathy. He successfully convinces you, the audience, to keep going along with his megalomania just as Andrew buys into it.
whiplash_ver2_xlg.jpg

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Matlock. This episode is a clear take on 12 Angry Men.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Being John Malkovich. I like the idea of the film but it went nowhere interesting. Can't say I'm a Malkovich fan but he was good playing that drug dealer.

pizzathegreat

MBTI Type
BORK
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Went to go see The Imitation Game last night. I really enjoyed it. It's in my list of favorites now. I've always like Benedict Cumberbatch.

laterlazer

good, hot, fresh, fly ~
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Watching How To Get Away With Murder, finally deciding to catch up on all my American shows. I've been in a K-Drama phase for weeks now, partly cos american shows stopped over the hols, partly cos k-dramas deal with effect rather than content and I've been feeling so numb that I need some (Pinocchio gave me the height of emotions). Anyway HTGAWM hasn't slipped, still going pretty strong, although the storyline is getting slightly draggy and I don't agree with the characters' choices. Like seriously, unless you're Wes I would go tell the truth asap. :mellow:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm watching The Secret of Kells for the second time. Such a pretty film.

I miss hand-drawn animation.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Watched Whiplash recently and loved it. J.K. Simmons killed it. Also, watched Joe. I really enjoyed that one as well.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

excellent if you like psychological horror films such as the others i put it on par with Haunter which is one of my favorite psychological horror films 4 out of 5 stars

Reminds me of I can't remember the name but a good quirky indepdent film about an indie van recording in the middle of no where the lead wears a big boy type head 24/7 his name is Frank hence the name. 4 out of 5 stars but not as strong of 4 out 5 stars as oculus

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I rewatched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty since I didn't enjoy it that much the first time, but I had watched Her (with Joaquin Phoenix) just before it so I wanted to give it a second chance in case I was distracted during the first viewing. Nope. I still didn't enjoy it but there are several great scenes in this.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Moonrise Kingdom: two oddball kids (INTP and INFJ) run away together and go camping.