• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What-cha-what-cha-what-cha Watched?

93JC

I saw Gone Girl. Excellent. They could have ended it after a little over an hour and it would have been a good movie, but it kept getting better.

One line stuck with me. It's the most succinct summary of this film I can think of: "You two are the most fucked up people I've ever met."

Permabanned

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SNL. Just not very good anymore. No matter how many times I give it a chance.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

emotionally intense but good film, 5 out of 5 stars though I think I have about a half hour left.

if you like films such as naked lunch, videodrone, and extenze, and fear and loathing in las vegas meets that other vigilante super hero movie that came out around the same time but far more popular. but this is wayyy better plus Ellen Page's character has my name so fuck yeah 5 out of 5 stars

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In less than two hours, I'm going to see Rifftrax Live: Anaconda in the theaters. I love the MST3K guys, and Anaconda is one of my favorite bad movies. Should be a good time.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Watched Sin City 2 with [MENTION=11809]Hive[/MENTION]

It was just as good as the first

93JC

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Without giving too much away, it's the story of a has-been actor who was famous 20+ years ago for playing a superhero in a series of movies (played by Michael Keaton) who decides he wants to "go legit" to kickstart his career: he's going to produce, direct and star in a Broadway play.

What follows is an interesting (if not a little too obvious) dissection of modern movie-making framed by a lead character rife with self-doubt and regret.

One thing you'll notice very quickly is that it's edited to appear as though it's one long take, which I was a little apprehensive about at first. Long takes often come across as the director's self-aggrandizing, as though they're saying to the audience "Look! See!? Look at how great a director I am!", without serving much purpose to the narrative. This one, despite being as though it lasts the entire movie, serves the narrative very well. It made me feel like I was watching a play unfold on a stage, which tied right in with the plot of the movie itself. It was as though everything outside of frame was backstage, the camera moving from one set piece to the next to give the crew time to redress the stage for the next scene and time for the actors to change costumes. I know that's not how it really played out but it looked like it; it felt like it.

(By the way the subtitle is totally unnecessary...)
birdman-movie-poster-5097.jpg
Nightcrawler

What is a "nightcrawler"? The dictionary says "an earthworm". Particularly one that only comes out at night and is favoured as fishing bait.

At the start of the film you might think of Jake Gyllenhaal's lead character, Louis Bloom, as a worm of a man. In the first scene—night time, of course—he's at a train yard, clipping a chain link fence. He's tresspassing; is he trying to break into the train yard?

No, no, he's stealing the chain link and selling it for scrap value; strictly cash only of course. Louis asks the construction site supervisor to whom he sells chain link, manhole covers and copper pipe for a job, even an unpaid "internship", but he's rebuffed: "I'm not gonna hire a fucking thief." He makes enough money as a petty thief to get by but he wants a career.

You see, Louis is a reader: he reads about things—everything—on the internet. He takes online business courses when he's not stealing bikes from Venice Beach. His appetite for learning is voracious.

Out of coincidence our lead character drives his dour little 30-year-old Toyota Tercel hatchback past a car crash. He stops, and soon after a van with a film crew shows up and turns their cameras on in a frenzy. These aren't reporters from a TV station though, they're "stringers": freelance "video journalists" (more like ambulance-chasing paparazzi) who trawl the nightly goings-on on their police scanners in search of the sort of carnage that'll sell to a TV station. Louis is inspired. He has found his calling.

He hires an assistant whom he pays $30 a night and quickly becomes one of the best-paid stringers in Los Angeles. Over the course of the film he goes to deeper and deeper depths of depravity to get the footage he needs for his next big paycheque.

The film is a window into a bizarre nocturnal world where people drive around LA in the wee hours looking for footage of "urban crime meeting the suburbs", a critique of the sensationalist newscasting we've become accustomed to (Louis has studied the amount of time local newscasts spend on reports of violent crime vs. everything else), and it's all through the eyes of a sociopath who has memorized every lame mantra he has ever read in business textbooks.
nightcrawler%20poster_0.jpg

Raffaella

bon vivant
Animated french films:

Persepolis (2007),
Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998),
Panique au village (2000)

I loved Panique, it was absurd - the horse was driving a car!

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i went out to see john wick last night. spoiler alert: keanu shoots a bunch of people in the head.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I got myself an early birthday present and bought the Band of Brothers series on Blu-Ray. So I have recently started this series again. It has been years since I've watched it. It has made me excited all over again. Such a phenomenal show.